Emma L. Smith Elementary
2016/2017 School Year!
The staff at Smith are very excited to get the new school year started. Please find in this September edition of our Newsletter, important beginning of the year information that will help you and your child have a great start to your year.
Welcome new Staff at Smith Elementary
Ms. Skye Walley - 1st grade teacher
Ms. Shelby Platt - 3rd grade teacher
Ms. Heather Asquith
Long-term sub for Ms. Hilla for the first month of school
September 12 - Board Meeting at 7:00 p.m. in the ELC room at Smith
September 15 - PTO Meeting at 4:00 p.m. in the Heritage Conference Room
1st Late Start Day - School starts at 11:32
September 16 - Citizenship Day
September 22 - Picture Day!
Regular School Day - 8:57 - 3:45
Late Start Days - 11:32 - 3:45
Morning8:40 - Breakfast opens
8:50 - 2nd and 3rd graders line up outside of classes
8:52 - Bell rings for students to enter hallways and classrooms
5:57 - School Starts
*Please try not to drop off your child any earlier than 8:45 a.m. Thank you!
3:35 - Kindergarten released to buses and parent pick up
3:42 - 1st - 3rd grade Kids Club, Walkers, and pick ups released
3:45 - All bussers released
Late Start Days
11:32 - 3:45
- Students will eat lunch
- Each class will receive 40 minutes of specials
- Normal afternoon recess
Dates: 9/15, 10/13, 11/10, 12/8, 1/12, 2/9, 3/9, 4/20, 5/11, 6/8
Pick up and Drop off Procedures
- Kindergarten parents are REQUIRED to pick up their students in the lobby
- Please no parking (leaving your vehicle unattended) along the curb in front of the building
- We are asking parents to please stay in the lobby before and at dismissal time
- Please try and notify office ASAP of any bus or pick up changes
*No bus changes for the first 2 weeks of school (per transportation request)
All volunteers are required to have a background check on file. Background checks are good for one full year. Please contact the main office or Mr. Edwards if you have any questions.
Trimesters to Semesters
- 2 detailed progress reports at conference time (November 16-17 and March 15)
- 2 Report Cards at end of Semester time (January 27 and June 16)
New Library Media Center Space
Since every classroom will be equipped with Chromebooks, we now have the opportunity to reinvent our Library/Media Center space as well. Thanks to the Stockbridge Area Education Foundation (SAEF) we were able to purchase new, comfortable seating arrangements that will be more inviting to our students. We will also be creating 5-6 Chromecast stations where students will be able to share and collaborate using their Chromebook devices.
Smith is 1:1 with Chromebooks
Smith Elementary is going 1:1 with Chromebooks! Beginning this school year, each classroom will be equipped with a mobile cart of Google Chromebooks for every student and teacher. Teachers and students will have this technology at their fingertips throughout the entire school day to use in a variety of ways to assist in their instruction and learning. In doing so, teachers will be able to be creative with their lesson plans with a more hands-on/project-based approach. Education and the way students learn is constantly changing and with the integration of technology in our society, we are excited to be able to provide our students this opportunity to stay on the forefront education.
Insurance and Maintenance Fee for Chromebooks
- All malfunctioning defect covered
- 1 accidental claim covered per year
District insurance policy $25 per year covered by each family
- Please admit payment with the signed Technology Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) Form. This was the yellow form sent home in your packet with you and your child during open house or will be given to your child on the first day of school.
- The signed AUP is required by all students to use any district device
- Payment options available. Please contact Mr. Edwards