JCMS Parent Newsletter
- Boxtops for Education - We will be wrapping up the HR Boxtop competition Friday,May 13. The winning Homeroom will have a donut party next week.
2015-2016 Yearbooks - JCMS 2015-2016 Yearbooks On Sale Now! Order your Yearbook by Wednesday, May 18th and win a chance to have a Pizza Party for you and 4 friends during lunch on Friday (last day of school). Yearbooks start @ $25.00. Yearbook Order forms going home with students today or order online @ ybpay.lifetouch.com Yearbook ID Code 12069116. JCMS 2015-2016 Yearbooks will arrive August 2016
- Science Club - Fianl meeting of the year will be Tuesday May 10th.
- Spanish Study Tables - Spanish Study tables will be held on Wednesday and Thursday, May 11 and 12 in Ms. McGuire's room #16 to prepare for the Spanish 1 Spring Semester Exam. Ms. McGuire will be available on those days until 4:30. She is in her room every day after school until 3:35 p.m. for help, and can stay most other days with prior arrangements.
- School Celebration - Next Friday we will have our year end school celebration during the school day. Any student who receives a write-up beginning on Monday, May 9th will lose the that on the last day of school as a minimum punishment. This includes tardies, homework completion and attendance issues
- Medication at School - The Board recently adopted new policy that prohibits the school from sending medicine home with student unless a doctor’s note or Form 5330 F2 is completed granting permission for the student to transport medicine to and from school. The parent/guardian may come to the school and pick up any leftover medications before May 26, 2016. Any medication remaining at school after this date will be destroyed.
Goodwill Donation Drive - JCMS students will be participating in a Goodwill Donation Drive beginning on May 1, 2016 – May 18, 2016. All donations need to be taken to the Goodwill in North Vernon and the student needs to make sure they tell the Goodwill worker that they are donating in the name of their JCMS Homeroom teacher. There will be a pizza party for the homeroom that collects the most items at the North Vernon Goodwill location.
- 8th Grade Dance - The 8th grade dance theme is “Paris Nights"! We will again be hosting a canned food drive to benefit the Wayside Inn. Homerooms will be collecting canned goods to help their King/Queen candidate couple collect the most canned goods so they can be crowned on the night of the dance. We are also asking that each 8th grade student donate 1 two liter of drink to be used at the dance. They can bring that anytime from now until the day of the dance.
- Attire Expectations for the 8th Grade Dance - JCMS boys may wear khaki pants or shorts and a collared shirt. JCMS girls may wear dresses that are no shorter than mid-thigh and no longer than mid-calf. They cannot wear dresses that are tight or extra form fitting.
Snow Make-up Days -
Date Missed - Make-Up Date
January 12 - Thursday May 19th
January 20 - Friday May 20th
Picking Students Up for Appointments - Make a doctors appointment for your student during the school day? No problem! - call ahead or write a note for your student to bring to the main office letting us know what time you will be here. By letting us know ahead of time, we are able to have your student in the main office ready to go by the time you arrive.
- Comment Box - Please help make our school better. If you have feedback for us or a suggestion on how we would do something better, please click the following link and let us know. Be as detailed as possible in your suggestion so we are able to act upon it. http://goo.gl/forms/yUo6t4sp8X
Family Fun Night 2016
Take a look at it and talk with your students about Digital Citizenship. This is not an issue that should only be taught in school but rather our students need to hear it in all parts of their lives. Hearing about Digital Citizenship both at school and at home will help to prepare them to make the right decisions when it comes to creating their own digital footprint.
8th Grade Dance
Friday, May 13th, 7pm
820 West Walnut Street
North Vernon, IN
County Wide Art Show
Honorable Mention - Parker Marion
Third Place - Emily Adams
Second Place - Noah Pettit,&Abby Rowlett
First Place - Cora Hutchinson & AJ Seiner
Una Voce Competing in Cincinnati this Past Weekend
County Wide Band Festival
Monday, May 9th, 6pm
800 West Walnut Street
North Vernon, IN
County Wide Orchestra Festival
Tuesday, May 10th, 6pm
800 West Walnut Street
North Vernon, IN
From the Guidance Office
Last Friday, May 6th JCMS held a Career Day designed just for 8th graders. Each student had a schedule for the event that was specific to their interests. Earlier in the Spring, the 8th graders took a Career Cluster Assessment via the Naviance program to identify possible career interests. This information was used to designate breakout sessions for the Career Day event. Break-out sessions were provided by gracious volunteers from:
St. Vincent's Hospital
North Vernon Police department
Jennings County Sheriff's department
Students were also able to hear presentations from the Southeastern Career Center located in Versailles Indiana. They heard about paying for college in either a session on Indiana's 21st Century Scholar program or Financial Aid. In addition, they could visit informational tables provided by:
Build Your Future
JCMS Middle School teachers
All in all it was a great day. It could not have been possible without the help of Trish Speer, Workforce Coordinator with the
Jennings County Economic Development Commission.
We hope to have given our kids some ideas about all the great possibilities that await them.