Surrealist Artist 1904-1989
Born May 11, 1904, in Figueras, Spain
Named after his older brother that passed away 22 months earlier, he was always compared to him
Displayed a gift of art at age 3, he could draw what he saw (Realistic)
Enrolled in the National School of Fine Arts in Madrid in 1921, and got expelled twice because he thought his teachers were not fit to judge him
Very close with his mom, she passed away from cancer when he was 16, leaving him with his strict dad
- Met Gala his "soul mate" at age 25
- Moved with Gala to New York to get famous (got featured in Time Magazine for popular surrealist clock painting
- Moved with Gala to LA where they had many crazy parties where people had to come dressed up as their nightmares, a women even killed herself when she looked in the mirror
Choices & Results
He chose to become a surrealist artist which was different.
Everyone loved his artwork he became very famous.
People loved the idea of dream like fantasies and real world situations combined to create surrealism.
In His Words
- "I do not paint a portrait to look like the subject, rather does the person grow to look like his portrait." is a quote from Dali.
- "Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings". is a quote from Dali.
- "Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision." Salvador Dali
- After meeting Gala she changed his perspective on things and started painting what she wanted him to, many portraits of her were made.
- After Galas death he became very depressed and it started showing in his artwork.
- When he got older he sadly got Parkinses disease which made him unable to paint or do pretty much anything, he was even sadder.
Words for Him
- Salvador Dalis art influenced/impacted the society by lettings them have a different view on art; a surrealist perspective.
- The public never lost affection for Dali's work, it was always in the market for very high prices.
- He is still known for his crazy gelled up mustache.
- He will always be a leader for surrealism.
- Salvador Dali." Contemporary Hispanic Biography. Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale, 2002. Biography in Context. Web. 3 May 2016
Foster, Stephen C. "Surrealism." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2016. Web. 4 May 2016
Misfeldt, Willard E. "Dalí, Salvador." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2016. Web. 4 May 2016
Salvador Dalí." Dictionary of Hispanic Biography. Gale, 1996. Biography in Context. Web. 3 May 2016
Salvador Dali." Contemporary Hispanic Biography. Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale, 2002. Biography in Context. Web. 3 May 2016
Salvador Dali." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1989. Biography in Context. Web. 3 May 2016
"Artist Journal Biography" Spain, 1994. Biography in Context. Web.3 May 2016
You can see him in his normal nature painting and doing what he loves.
I wasn't sure what was happening in the picture but you can see his weird mustache!
Dali younger years
Dali in 20-30s.