The Eagle's Eye
Smyrna School District Bimonthly Newsletter - December 2023
Letter from the Superintendent
Dear Parents, Students, Staff, and Community Members,
I want to send warm wishes to you and your loved ones during this joyous season. May the spirit of love, kindness, and togetherness fill your hearts and homes. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or another meaningful tradition, may the beauty of this season bring you peace, happiness, and moments of shared laughter.
I want to congratulate North Smyrna Elementary School for their winning entries in the Visual and Performing Arts Winter Competition for the school district. You can view the mural created by all the North Smyrna Elementary students on the district’s website and Facebook page. The winter song, “When the Lights all Shine,” performed by the third-grade chorus is a positive reminder of unity during this season.
A huge thank you also goes out to Mrs. Overgaard, the art teacher, and Mrs. Kelly Blake, the chorus teacher, for their work on these projects with the North Smyrna students. The mural is beautiful and captures the spirit of the winter season.
Each edition of The Eagle’s Eye will feature our Five Commitments to Stakeholders. This edition highlights Commitment Five: Fiscal Stewardship. I am excited to announce the Smyrna School District Board of Education approved a capital project and operating expense referendum for the school district, which directly impacts the Smyrna School District community.
- The Smyrna School District was proud to host the December 8 Kent County Legislative breakfast at Clayton Intermediate School.
- The Smyrna Clayton Ministerium held its Thanksgiving Dinner at Smyrna Elementary School. We are proud to support this annual community event.
- We are proud to share Smyrna Elementary School was one of two Delaware schools named an ESEA Distinguished School by the National ESEA State Program Administrators for closing the achievement gap between student groups.
- Smyrna Middle School inducted art students into the National Junior Art Society and Smyrna High School inducted members into the National Honor Society.
- Congratulations to our Girls Volleyball State Champions. This is the first time in history a school in the Henlopen Conference scored this victory!
- For the second year in a row, our Girls Field Hockey Team made it to the State Finals.
- Smyrna High School FFA went to their National Convention and met with Governor of Delaware, John Carney and Secretary of Agriculture, Michael Scuse.
We are so fortunate to have your continued commitment to the Smyrna School District, as well as the privilege of educating your children.
May the coming year be filled with hope, growth, and positive connections. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and a bright and prosperous New Year!
Susan P. Brown, Ed. D., CSBA
Superintendent of Schools
On November 19th, our community came together for a heartwarming Thanksgiving celebration organized in collaboration with the Smyrna Clayton Ministerium. The event, held at Smyrna Elementary School, exemplified the spirit of gratitude and generosity as we shared a traditional Thanksgiving meal comprising turkey, stuffing, potatoes, vegetables, and delightful desserts. It was a joyous occasion that brought neighbors, friends, and families together to celebrate the essence of community. Through our partnership with the Smyrna Clayton Ministerium, we were proud to contribute to the well-being of our community, fostering a sense of togetherness and thankfulness that resonated throughout the memorable event.
Smyrna Elementary Recognized as National ESEA Distinguished School
Congratulations to Smyrna Elementary School for being named a National ESEA Distinguished School by the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE)! Only two schools per state are recognized each year, and we are thrilled to celebrate this prestigious honor.
"Smyrna Elementary School, in the Smyrna School District, is being recognized as a National ESEA Distinguished School for Closing the Achievement Gap between student groups, and the academic progress that the students made during the 2022-2023 school year on standardized achievement tests. Cynthia McNatt is the school’s principal."
To read more, click the link below.
Farm to School Program
For more information, visit the SSD Farm to School webpage here.
Interested in becoming one of our Farm Partners? Please click here to fill out our form.
Friday, December 22 - Monday, January 1
- Schools Closed
Monday, January 15
- Schools and Offices Closed - MLK Jr. Day
Wednesday, January 17
- Board Meeting
- @ North Elementary School, 6 p.m.
Friday, January 26
- Schools Closed - Professional Development
For the 2023-24 Calendar, please click HERE.