Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021
ZOMBIES ARE COMING! Halloween is 10 days away (officially) but there's a special event Friday night at Northwest Park night featuring costumed characters along a Zombie Walk and Saturday will be busy Downtown with trick or treating from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. And Monday there's a program at Whiton Library about witch trials in colonial New England. Unrelated but next week brings an exhibit at WORK_SPACE showcasing future concepts of parks and trails in town, all of which leads us to share this soon-to-be-even-more-gorgeous scene at Union Pond.
Humans of Manchester
More Virtual Job Interviews Today
for noon aides, general food service workers and other support staff. Click here for more information
MHS Homecoming Parade Is Next Week
The Great Outdoors
LEAF COLLECTION: Barring an early snowstorm Area 1 vacuum collection begins Nov. 8 and Area 2 Nov. 22. Click here for everything you need to know about the Leaf Collection Program.
ROPES COURSE: The Course re-opened this year after the lockdown, and on Saturday 9-year-olds and up can stop by and give it a try. For more information click here.
The Week Ahead
Thursday, Oct. 21
6-9 p.m. -- Last night for Manchester Knights Basketball tryouts at Verplanck School, 126 Olcott St.
6:30 p.m. -- Local author John Hoffman at Whiton Memorial Library, 100 North Main St.
Friday, Oct. 22
5 - 8 p.m. -- Fall Festival at Northwest Park.
Saturday, Oct. 23
8 a.m. - noon -- MACC Manchester Farmers Market at Forest St. parking lot.
9 a.m -- Polish food sale at St. John’s Church, 23 Golway St.
9 a.m. - 3 p.m. -- Community Cleanup and Climb at Manchester Ropes Challenge Course, 180 Hillstown Road (Veterans Memorial Soccer Fields)
11:30 a.m. -- Downtown Safe Trick or Treat,Main St.
1-3 p.m. -- Bark in the Park at Center Memorial Park
Sunday, Oct. 24
Noon - 2 p.m. -- Woodbridge Farm Open House (season finale), 495 East Middle Tpke.
Monday, Oct. 25
11:30 a.m -- Our Parks, Our Vision, Our Future at WORK_SPACE, 903 Main St.
6:30 p.m. -- Connecticut Witch Trials discussion at Mary Cheney Library.
7 p.m. -- BoE Regular meeting at Lincoln Center.
Tuesday, Oct. 26
Wednesday, Oct. 27
Noon - 1 p.m. -- Songs of a New World Lunchtime Lecture at Cheney Hall.
5:30 - 6:30 p.m. -- The Business of Art at WORK_SPACE, 903 Main St.
Also: CREC has an ESL Medical Office Assistant training program. Click here for more info.
Down The Road
- MHS Homecoming parade is Friday, Oct. 29 at 3:30 p.m. (with shorter route starting at tennis courts on East Center Street and ending at usual Brookfield Street spot)
- Songs for a New World at Cheney Hall, Nov. 5-21, Fridays - Sundays.
- The Manchester Road Race is Nov. 25
For even more of what's coming up see our OneMan Planner.
Also of Note
- Positivity Project signs keep popping up around town and you could have one on your lawn, too. They're free and all you have to do is agree to keep it up through at least Thanksgiving day. Signs can be ordered at www.manchesterwomensclub.org .
- The Elks have an essay contest asking students what it means to love your country. Click for details.
- Click here for the latest Manchester Matters.
The latest Manchester Historical Society newsletter has Open House info and more.