Davis Staff Monday Memo
Building Better Brains!
Wow! What a great week!
We need your expertise. Please sign up to present at our next PLC meeting on Nov. 18th. You are doing great things that we could all benefit from.
November 16th-20th-Kindness Week
November 17th- History Fair 6-7pm/Lauren's Baby Shower
November 18th-PLC Mtg.
November 19th-PTA Thanksgiving Lunch
November 23-27th-Thanksgiving Break
December 3rd-Think College Thursday
December 8th-Bilingual Academy 3:00-4:00
December 9th-Staff Christmas Party (Location to be announced)
December 10th-Pajama Day/Bedtime Story Night 6:30-7:30
December 17th-Winter Parties
December 18th-Early Release/9 Weeks Assembly 8:30
Spotlight on Professional Learning
How Student Centered is Your Classroom?
Very thought provoking article. If you don't have time to read the entire article, look at these questions that were presented in this article.
- In what ways do students feel respected, feel valued, and feel part of the whole group?
- In what ways do students have ownership of the classroom? Do they ever make decisions about resources, environment, or use of time? When? How often?
- Do they have ownership in their learning? Do they have choices and options for projects, assignments, and partners for group work?
- When are students comfortable with expressing who they are and their thoughts and ideas? When are they not?
- When do you inquire about the needs of your students? How often do you do this? How often do you check for group understanding and adjust the instruction accordingly?
- How are desks arranged? Are students facing each other? Do they have multiple opportunities each week to share with fellow classmates, and to share with a variety of classmates?
- As the instructor, what is my "air time" each class session? How much direct instruction is there? How might I change some of that directing teaching to facilitating?
***Best quote that I heard today: "The teacher's job is not to get the horse to drink, it's to make the horse thirsty." Create that desire in kids that they "need" to know the material presented.
***All learning should be life worthy.
There are some great new and innovative teaching practices happening at Davis. Please share so all of our kids can benefit! You can also add ideas you would like shared.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find new apps and web tools for my learners?
How do I access the building on the weekends?
Contact Brenda Terenas or Jan West
I need to know how to request a day off/access the copy machine/send a fax.
The staff handbook is located at: https://docs.google.com/a/pisd.edu/document/d/1NRqWSqHZJ8cJ5w1Ck29DxImlK04MijfIdlnOd_8sUmo/edit?usp=sharing