Lakeview Family Newsletter - October 4
Prefer to read this in a different language? Scroll to the bottom and click "translate".
No School on Friday, October 9
Hybrid Learning starts October 12
• Why hybrid? Because by the time some of our students return on October 12, it will have been 213 days without being in a school building. The chance to have even half of our students back at a time adheres to our data recommendations, mitigates risk, and demonstrates our commitment as a district to getting closer to "normal" teaching and learning once again.
• You received an email on Thursday that tells if your child is "Group A" (Monday/Tuesday), or "Group B" (Wednesday/Thursday). There are a limited number of students that are in a 4-day cohort and some that have elected for the SM Virtual Academy. If you are in Group A, your student's first day of in-school learning is Monday, October 12. If your child is in Group B, your child as asynchronous learning on the 12th and 13th and will come to school for the first time on Wednesday, October 14. See the picture below for a visual explanation.
• 4K - Our 4K enrollment at Lakeview right now is low enough that all 4K students can come four days/week according to the 4K calendar. AM 4K is from 8:30-11:00 and PM 4K is from Noon-2:30. If you are in the AM 4K section and require wrap care provided by the SM Recreation Department, see this link.
• If you need before/after school care provided by the SM Recreation Department (formerly provided by the YMCA), click this link to register. You cannot register on short notice - do this now if you need it!
• The SM Virtual Academy deadline has passed. Emails were sent multiple times and the deadline was September 21. We cannot change student cohorts (groups A and B) either.
• Updated on 10/5 - How long will the Hybrid format last? - On September 21, the email from the district said, "We will continue to monitor the burden and positivity rates for South Milwaukee and Milwaukee County. On October 26 we will announce the next learning model for South Milwaukee. At that time, if possible, we will transition to fully in-person for the elementary level as of November 2 and for the middle school and high school as of November 9."
What is an "Asynchronous Day"?
It is important to remember that while your child does need to complete this work, it will not be as much as on a "normal" school day. Depending on the grade level, it may only be 1-3 hours of schoolwork total.
How do we count attendance on these days? By your student's work completion. Your child may complete the work according to the family schedule, but it needs to be completed or else the day will count as an official "absence" in our school records.
Teacher Changes at Lakeview
Ms. DeBruin - will be teaching a 5K virtual classroom
Ms. Zoellner - moving from 1st grade to take Mrs. DeBruin's 5K class
Ms. Swick - will be teaching a 1st grade virtual classroom
Ms. Benn - will be the Instructional Coach for all of Lakeview
Mr. Tinsen - moving from 3rd grade to take Ms. Benn's 2nd grade class
If we need to move back to virtual learning in the future, we will not change teachers. Students will remain with the teacher they have as of October 12.
Where can I find more information?
This is also the same webpage where you will find the district's data dashboards, including community health data and COVID-19 Absence data.
Chromebooks & School Supplies
• All of the supplies we sent home in August and September, including classroom books and math worksheets
• The normal school supplies that were on the list for this year. Students will not share supplies at school, so everyone needs his/her own.
• Fully charged Chromebooks. The Chromebook will go back and forth to school each time students attend in-person. We have new cases for our younger students. Please talk about care for devices. If you wish to purchase insurance, it is available for $25/year in your IC Parent Portal. For safety reasons, we will not provide students with a loaner Chromebook if they forget a device at home or if it is not charged. Also, the backlog on broken devices is quite long so please teach your child how to take care of the Chromebook on the way to and from school.
• If you have any school library books still at home, return them next week.
The Children's Room at the SM Public Library is now open and all collections are available. The play area, study rooms, and meeting rooms remain closed.