The Red Panda
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Mammalia
- Order: Carnivora
- Family: Ailurus
- Genus and Species: Ailurus fulgens
- Weigh between 7 and 20 pounds
- Head and Body, 20 to 26 in
- Tail, 12 to 20 in
- Related to the better known black and white giant panda
• Red pandas are sometimes called “Wah” because of their distinctive cry. They are also referred to as firefox, bear-cats and lesser pandas.
• The activity level of the red panda changes throughout the year based on the temperature, feeding regimes and the presence of young.
• Red pandas can eat 45% of their body weight daily. This amounts to about 200,000 bamboo leaves every day.
• Red pandas may be active during the day, however they are mainly crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk.