Pearl S. Buck Elementary
"Pearls of Wisdom" June 3, 2016
Field Day Information
Field Day has been rescheduled for Monday, June 6th. Festivities begin at 9:25 and continue until your child’s recess time. Field Day is a non-competitive fun day that puts the emphasis on sportsmanship and not on winning and losing. We will conclude Field Day with a teacher vs 4th Grade "California Kickball" game, beginning at 1:45. The game will be followed with a “Pie in the Face” for Mr. Kern. We hope to see you on Monday!
Please have your child come to school with a hat, sun tan lotion (no sprays, please), and a refillable water container, labeled with his or her name.
Take a hike!
Third Graders read Hiking the Appalachian Trail about a family that hikes the entire AT from Georgia to Maine. Pearl Buck is fortunate to have our own hiker in the building – Miss Penny! Miss Penny shared with the children a wealth of information about her hikes through the Pennsylvania leg of the trail. She showcased her awesome packing skills and stressed the preparation necessary for the hikes. She even gave some the opportunity to carry her all-important backpack. Don’t be surprised if your child asks you to go on a family hike this summer!
Warm Weather Reminders
- Students should continue to wear appropriate footwear to school. Please avoid flip-flops or other footwear with flimsy soles. Sandals must have a heel strap.
- Shirts should be modest in neckline. Armholes must not expose the torso (boys or girls). T-shirts are perfect!
- Shorts should be modest in length; please avoid 'short shorts'.
- Students are encouraged to wear a hat at recess.
- Water bottles are acceptable.
1st Day School Supplies
Orders are due soon!
Pearl Buck Elementary has partnered with 1st day School Supplies to provide parents with the convenience of ordering school supplies online and having them shipped directly to Pearl Buck for the start of the 2016-2017 school year.
Supply kits are filled with items common to homerooms in each grade level. You do not need to know your child's 2016-2017 teacher. If you order, your child will have his or her supplies waiting within their classroom on the first day of school. You may begin to place your orders now. All orders are due by June 30, 2016.
On June 2nd, our 4th grade students got the opportunity to learn about the journey and careers of an attorney, a police officer, a medical device salesperson, a children’s author and a dental assistant. Each speaker delivered a 20 minute presentation including a question and answer session. As a follow up activity and a way of giving thanks, our students crafted cards to a speaker with whom they made a career connection.
Thanks to our presenters for taking time to present to our students. Thanks, too, to Mr. Crozier, Buck's counselor, for coordinating this event.
4th Grade Move-Up Information
- The ceremony will begin at 9:30. Parents and guardians will be permitted to enter the building at approximately 9:15 AM.
- Parking is very limited. Please consider carpooling and plan to park within the surrounding neighborhood.
- Tickets will be limited to 3 per family. This is due to very limited space.
- Attire: In order to create a semi-formal atmosphere for the ceremony, we request your cooperation with student attire. Boys are asked to wear collared shirts, dress slacks and shoes. Ties and jackets are optional. Girls are asked to wear a dress, or a blouse with a skirt or slacks. Please keep neck and hemlines conservative and avoid strapless dresses. We ask students not wear sneakers, clogs or flip-flops, or other footwear that can easily slip off of the foot or that has thin/flimsy soles. Leather sandals with a firm sole and heel-strap are acceptable. Students should arrive at school dressed in their attire for the ceremony. Attire will be discussed during our upcoming rehearsals.
- After the Move-Up event (approximately 10:30), the PTO will be hosting a breakfast for our 4th grade students and parents/guardians, after which parents/guardians may choose to sign-out their 4th grade child for the day.
- In addition, the 4th grade students will enjoy special events on Wednesday, June 15th and Friday, June 17th. More information to follow. Please also be on the lookout for PTO emails regarding end of year events.
Summer STEM camp opportunities
Last Days of School
Lunches will occur before recess, starting earlier than normal. Here are the start times for lunches on the last three days:
- Kindergarten -11:10
- 1st and 2nd - 11:50
- 3rd and 4th - 12:25
Also, assuming the sun and warm weather will return before the end of school, please consider having your child apply sunscreen in the morning, and bring a hat and water bottle for recess.
Did you know....?
The Appalachian Trail is…
- A nearly 2,200 mile hiking trail through the Appalachian Mountain Range in the Eastern United States.
- It is the longest “hiking-only” footpath in the world. It is also among the longest continuously marked trails. The AT is marked with approximately 165,000 2 x 6 inch white blazes along the trail guiding hikers all 2,186 miles.
- The Trail travels through 14 different states: Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
- The Appalachian Trail is the largest AND longest running volunteer conservation project in the world.
- The elevation gain/loss of hiking the entire Appalachian Trail is the equivalent of climbing Mount Everest 16 times. The summit of Mount Everest sits at 29,029 feet. Doing a little math that means that the elevation changes hikers traverse along the AT totals up to an approximate 464,464 feet!