Port Jefferson UFSD Newsletter
Human Resources - 3rd Edition - APRIL 2023
NYSLR - BASIC CONCEPTS
While NYSLRS administers many different retirement plans, the core concepts of our memberships are the same. Your pension will be calculated using a preset formula based on your earnings and years of service. To better understand your NYSLRS benefits, you should become familiar with these four basic concepts:
- Tier. Your tier is based on the date you joined NYSLRS and helps determine the benefits available to you. If you’re a new NYSLRS member, you’re likely in Tier 6. Tier 6 members joined NYSLRS on or after April 1, 2012.
- Service Credit. Generally, you earn a year of service credit for each year you work for a participating NYSLRS employer. Part-time work is prorated. Your total service credit at retirement is a major factor in determining the amount of your pension.
- Vesting. You become vested after you earn five years of service credit. It’s a significant milestone, because once you’re vested, you’re eligible for a NYSLRS pension when you reach retirement age, even if you leave public service.
- Final Average Earnings. Final average earnings are the average of your earnings during the period when your pay is highest. It’s another major factor in determining the amount of your pension.
Email us using our secure contact form. You should receive a response within 5 to 7 business days.
Call toll-free within the 50 states, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands: 866-805-0990
Call within the Albany, New York area: 518-474-7736
Customer service representatives are available weekdays from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Our general fax number is 518-402-4433. Please include your name, NYSLRS ID and a phone number where we can reach you, as well as the name of the person or department you are trying to reach.
110 State Street
Albany, NY 12244-0001
Business Office Corner
New printing contract - No more cost for overages on printing in color and black & white
Updated Expense Reimbursement Policy 6830 - http://go.boarddocs.com/ny/portjeff/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CM9KYU542E41 -
- Meal reimbursements only - will not be subject to a New York State sales tax deduction.
- Increase in reimbursement rate for meals and incidental expenses.
For more information click on the policy link or see "Learn More About Our Polices" below.
Benefits Corner - Highlighted Benefit
DENTAL COVERAGE - Self Insured
Plan Coordinator: JJ Stanis - 516-476-3900
Provider: Stanis Net Plus
•Maximum calendar year benefit- $2,000
•Preventative and diagnostic services – 100% of reasonable and customary
•Basic, Major, and Orthodontic services – 80% of reasonable and customary
•Orthodontic lifetime benefit - $1,500
•Dependents are covered until age 18, unless they are full time students under age 25
•Continues into retirement
•In-network providers can be found by following district links: http://www.portjeffschools.org/departments/business_office_benefits
If you enroll more than thirty-one days after your are hired, there will be a three (3) month waiting period before you can receive dental benefits.
- Notice of Claim - Written notice of the event on which claim is based must be given to the Plan Coordinator within 90 days after the loss of which claim is made.
- Proof of Claim - Written proof of claim must be given to the Plan Coordinator within 90 days after the date of loss for which claim is made.
MENTAL HEALTH CORNER
Stand and Stretch
A simple way to cut through the challenge of staying focused throughout your day is simply standing up and stretching on a regular basis.
- Ideally, you want to stand up every half hour or 15 minutes for a short time period. The stretching will keep your circulation moving and standing breaks up the monotony of your day.
- If you have time for a short walk, then take a short walk through your office. Get a glass of water or take a trip to the restroom before returning to your desk. The movement reduces the tension that develops when you stay in one position for an extended period.
Learn more about our Policies
Policy 6830R - Expense Reimbursement Regulation - http://go.boarddocs.com/ny/portjeff/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CM9KYU542E41
Excerpt: Expense Reimbursement Regulation - Meals
The district will pay for meals for individuals traveling on district business, where the travel is substantially longer than an ordinary day’s work, or requires an overnight stay or substantial sleep or rest. Where a meal is already paid for by the district (for example, included with the conference or hotel costs), the corresponding amount for that meal will be deducted from the daily total. Itemized receipts are required to show that expenses are allowable under this policy. Meal reimbursements only will not be subject to a New York State sales tax deduction due to the difficulty of local establishments having the ability to accept said exemption.
Reimbursable meal charges, including gratuities, for persons traveling for district-related business, will be at the following reimbursement rate for meals and incidental expenses as follows:
- Breakfast $10
- Lunch $15
- Dinner $25
- Daily Total $50
- April 21, 2023 - HS Junior Prom
- April 27, 2023 @6:30pm - HS Art Show
- April 27, 2023 @7:00pm - Spring Concert - HS Auditorium
Do you know how to read a measuring tape? Here's how...
Measurement in INCHES (Imperial)
36 inches = 1 yard
3 feet = 1 yard
Measurement in CENTIMETERS (Metric)
30.48 centimeters = 1 foot
91.44 centimeters = 1 yard
What is EAP?
It's an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through BOCES: https://www.portjeff.k12.ny.us/download/pdfs/Business_Office/Benefits/EAPRightForMeBrochure.pdf, that provides confidential crisis intervention, assessment and referral services to employees, retired employees and their families.
Below are a few examples of services EAP provides counseling for:
- Domestic Violence
- Marital conflict
EAP provides services 12 months a year and is available during school breaks and summer. They have both daytime and evening hours. To schedule an appointment or would like additional information, you can call (631) 289-0480 or visit their website: www.esboces.org/EAP and visit the EAP orientation PowerPoint presentation on the welcome page
1741D North Ocean Avenue
Medford, NY 11763
35 Crooked Hill Road, Suite 103
Commack, NY 11725
Hampton Bays Office
188 W Montauk Hwy, Suite E1
Hampton Bays, NY 11946
Board of Education
Need to locate our Board Agendas and Minutes: https://go.boarddocs.com/ny/portjeff/Board.nsf/vpublic?open