Shamrock Gardens Dragon Direct
Think Different. Do Different. Be Different.
Week of October 17th-October 21st
Thinking Map of the Week-Bridge Map
The Week at a Glance-NO MEET WEEK :)
Monday, October 17th, 2016
- Guest Reader Day please see schedule in link below
- Hugo's Book Bus Assembly @1pm in Café (Please be prepared to announce one classroom winner, that has displayed great scholarship, in each class to stay after the presentation to go shopping on the bus)
Tuesday, October 18th, 2016
- Happy Birthday Mr. Smith!
- CIS Dental Screenings 8:30-9:30am
- School-wide spelling Bee in Café k-2@9am & 3-5@10-am (1 winner per classroom)
- Optional Beginning Teacher Meeting-Parent Teacher Conferences Done Right!-All are invited :)
Wednesday, October 19th, 2016
- Happy Birthday Mr. Cherry!
- Kindergarten Parent Coffee with Reeves@7:45 in Media Center
- K-2 & 3-5 Donuts for Dad in Café
- Drop Everything & Read-Reading Marathon!
Thursday, October 20th, 2016:
- Happy Birthday Ms. Thompson!
- Buddy Reading Day (see match up on page
- 3rd Grade Field Trip 9:00-12:00pm
- League of Extraordinary Dragons Induction 8:45-9:30 in Media Center (Media for 2nd & kindergarten in classrooms)
- Principals Visit Shamrock Gardens in WonderLab
- 1/2 Day Planning 1st Grade 8:15-11:30am
1/2 Day Planning 3rd Grade 11:30-3:15 (IA's please take lunch during connect)
- Send Home Thursday Folders-Parent Teacher Conference Sign up Reminder, 2 work samples
- Hispanic Parent Community Meeting @5pm
- PTA Board Meeting @6pm
Friday, October 21st, 2016:
- Dress as Your Favorite Story Book Character!
- Contact Corpuz if needing to get in touch with parents for conferences
- Kindergarten to Field Trip to Pumpkin Patch
- First Day of Clubs (you will receive link with student and teacher placements early next week)
- No Kindergarten Clubs because of Field Trip
Classroom Morning Meetings!
- How are we (the class) doing in working to meet our Big Goal for the year?
- How are you (the individual) doing in working to meet your Big Goal for the year?
- How are we doing as a class to create a collaborative and supportive classroom environment?
- What is the playground like each day? Are people being nice to each other and allowing everyone to participate?
- What big events are coming up in your lives? What excites you about this event?
- Student Choice--what do you all want to talk about today?
Morning Meetings are a great way to safely allow students to use and reinforce the skills of academic conversation--both as listeners and speakers. Encourage your students to elaborate on their discussions and support them in managing these classroom conversations independently, allowing students to take ownership of the meeting.
- Ms. Tate thank you for your love for scholars! I had the wonderful pleasure of working with Mrs. Tate last week on your library order. She made a huge impression on me (and my heart) due to her love for her family and the students at Shamrock. She loves your students more than anything and that is such a blessing. I think that is sometimes the only thing children need, someone to love them…. Shamrock is so lucky to have such a loving staff and I felt compelled to let you know how much I enjoyed my time with her. When I visit schools like yours, I often question why I ever left teaching….---From our Media Representative
- Shout out to Ms. McAlpin, Ms. McLeod, Ms. Parker, and Ms. Voorhees for allowing all the Thinking MAPS trainees to come in your classroom this week!
- Shout out to Mr. Butler for the great Thinking Map Anchor Charts!
- Shout out to third grade for their thoughtfulness with long-range planning for literacy and mathematics!
- Shout out to Ms. Hirten for taking risks and always looking for awesome ways to meet the needs of all her students!
- Shout out to the 2nd Grade Team for the amazing writing celebration this past week! Great job providing such a great, authentic environment for our student authors to share their awesome written creations!
- Ms Restrepo for getting her students invested in writers workshop!
Super Awesome Read Aloud of the Week!
From Scholastic: "A little girl who is determined to strike a blow for nonconformity manages to arrive at school every day with a hairdo more outrageous than the day before. And each time, the cast of copycats grows and grows --- until the day she threatens to shave her head! The strong female voice will speak to many, asserting the importance of individuality and independent thought."
Want to encourage students to be themselves and help them embrace their uniqueness and individuality? Then read them this book! Guest readers and copies of the book are available by emailing Mr. Mohrien!
Please Note: Employees MUST go online and complete their health assessment before meeting girth the benefits counselor. Thank you in advance for ensuring that your pre-work is complete so the counselor can keep on track with the schedule for the day.
Please see additional information below:
Open enrollment for the State Health Plan is scheduled for October 1 through October 31, 2016. This is the period each year where you can make changes to your benefits, including changing plans, adding or dropping coverage. It is important that you participate in open enrollment this year because the if you are reading this you can wear jeans on Wednesday State Health Plan is going to reset all enrolled members, including newly hired employees, to the 70/30 plan effective January 1, 2017 unless you elect other coverage.
In addition, currently enrolled members must participate in open enrollment to complete the health assessment and tobacco attestation and select a PCP to receive wellness premium credits to reduce the cost of their coverage. The wellness premium credits do not carry over from the previous year. In 2017, members enrolling or defaulting to the 70/30 plan will have a premium cost unless they complete the tobacco attestation or enroll in QuitLineNC. Wellness premium credits cannot be awarded after the open enrollment period. It is also recommended that you maintain a copy of your health assessment confirmation for your records.
As you prepare to select your 2017 benefits, consider the needs of you and your family for the entire year. To assist you with your decisions, refer to the 2017 CMS Employee Benefit Guide which summarizes all of the benefit plans offered to you as a CMS employee, including supplemental benefits, and changes for 2017.
You may access this guide by using the following link:
For a printable copy of the guide, please click on the following link:
To schedule an appointment with a benefits counselor, please call 866-998-2915 or go to www.myenrollmentschedule.com/CMS.
If you have any questions, please contact benefits at 980-343-1754.
Lucky's Library 2016-2017 Grand Opening!
This Monday, October 17th, Lucky's Library will be opening to scholars from 7:45-8:15 am. Ms. Mace will be managing the book room in the mornings. She will have groups to serve during the school day so it will be important that we close promptly at 8:15. In order to ensure we close on time, we ask that you do not send any scholars to Lucky's Library after 8:10 am. In addition, PLEASE do not send scholars with their agendas. They should be bringing their tracking cards which have been placed in your mailboxes this afternoon. The grade level protocol for Lucky's Library was discussed at the beginning of the year. If you are unclear on what your grade level decided, please see your team lead. We'll see you at the library...and who knows...Lucky might be waiting to greet a few scholars!
October 31st-Required Teacher Workday
8:00-11:30 Thinking Maps Training in Media Center
11:30-3:30 Parent Teacher Conferences
3-5 and Connect Teachers
8:00-11:30 Parent Teacher Conferences
12:00-3:30 Thinking Maps Training in the Media Center
Good Book Behavior
Ms. Tate is starting a good behavior incentive in the media center. If your class demonstrates good behavior and model citizenship, Ms. Tate will provide you with a cutout in the shape of a book. She is asking that you take the book back to your classroom and post it somewhere for the scholars to view and reflect on their outstanding behavior. At the end of each quarter, Ms. Tate will ask teachers to submit to her the total number of books your class earned. There will be 2 classes who win, based on the total number of books earned. She will award a K-2 class and a 3-5 class a special incentives. Movie and popcorn in the media center will be the prize for Quarter 2!
Interested In School Leadership?
Open House will be held on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 from 4:30 pm-6:30 pm @ Spaugh, it is open to all CMS Employees interested in school leadership.
Please RSVP using the this link: http://www.principalpipeline.com/openhouse
- Leaders for Tomorrow at Winthrop University
- School Executive Leadership Academy (SELA) at Queens University
- UNC Charlotte Aspiring High School Principals Program
- Educational Leadership Programs at Wingate University
If you have questions about the programs or the open house, please contact Nicole Cathey by email. (click here to learn more about the pathway to school based leadership).
Thinking About Taking on a Position with Success By Design Next Year?
Success By Design
Talent Pool Information Sessions
Are you interested in learning more about the Success by Design Talent Pool application process? Attend a free information session before the talent pool opens in late November!
- Thursday, November 3rd from 5-6pm in the cafeteria at Spaugh