Weekly Newsletter - September 10, 2021
celebrating 27 years of excellence in catholic education
Theme for the Year: Charity
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a nurturing and prayerful learning environment committed to academic excellence, training missionary disciples to seek virtue, wisdom, and truth, in partnership with a community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
Teaching the Mind...Nourishing the Soul
from the principal
I was not disappointed! Time and time again, as I made my way to Mass in the arena, I heard my name being called by cheerful alumni, happy to see me "on their turf" for the day. What I must add to this, is how many of these welcoming calls were coming from our alumni while in service roles. Our Knights were holding doors open, directing visitors to their seats, passing out hymnals, and performing in the choir and orchestra. My heart was bursting with joy and pride for these students, now successful Vikings.
I found my mind wandering on where the roads of their future will lead them. If one stopped for just a moment, I am certain one could feel the enormous potential in the room of all the students present. I was imagining the enormity of their collective God-given talents put to use for the betterment of society. Our world needs these students. Our world needs students who live their lives for God. The role of Catholic education in society must not be overlooked. Thank you, SJCS faculty and staff, for helping to shape the future servant leaders of our world. And thank you, parents, for making the sacrifice to send your children to St. Joseph Catholic School. Together, we all make a difference.
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
September Bible verse on Charity
New saintly "CHARITY" quote to ponder
-St. Thomas Aquinas
Virtue for the Month
Greek and Latin Roots for the week:
port- (carry, bear, bring), re- (again, back), -able, ible (capable of, tending to)
Helping the Car line Run Smoothly
- In the mornings, remain in your car. We will help your child out of the car on the right side.
- In the afternoons, announce your arrival on the PikMyKid app when you come to the stop sign.
- Please come see us in the school office if you do not know how to use the app. We will gladly show you how.
- Always have your car tag visible for those working the car line.
- Arrive as close as possible to the time of your oldest student's dismissal time.
Installing and Using the Pikmykid App
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR NEW STUDENTS FOR THE 2021-2022 School Year! Please direct your family and friends to the school website, or have them call the school office for more details.
- On Sale Now - Dinner and Talent Show Tickets and Meal Orders! Don't miss out on a delicious Asian dinner and fabulous student performances on Thursday, September 30th. The dinner begins at 6:00 pm and the Talent Show starts at 7:00 pm. You must buy a ticket for the show and order ahead for dinner (Deadline September 20th) Please see the Thursday Folder for more details.
- 9/10 - Quarter 1 Progress Reports Emailed
- 9/13, 9/15, 9/17 - Talent Show Tryouts with Mr. Cullen. Please see the form attached to the 8/27 newsletter email from Mrs. Price
- 9/15 - Fall Pictures: Please come to school in dress uniform on this day for Mass and Fall Pictures!
- 9/18 - Saturday September 18th @ 6:05 p.m. Catholic Schools Night at Globe Life Park:
To purchase tickets, click this link: https://offer.fevo.com/texas-rangers-v-white-sox-147aawb-ce5dc4a?fevoUri=texas-rangers-v-white-sox-147aawb-ce5dc4a%2Ftexas-rangers-v-white-sox-147aawb-ce5dc4a%3Fpage%3D2 To purchase t-shirts, click this link:https://www.yoomarkit.com/product/baseball-night-2021/ The deadline to order the t-shirts is 9/14/2021.
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Save the date
Please see the informational flyer in the Thursday Folder
for more details on this special day of giving.
COVID-19 Daily Home Screening for Students
Parents: Please be sure to complete this short screening each morning. If any of these symptoms are present, please stay home and contact the school and your doctor. Please contact the school if your child is sick or has been exposed to a positive COVID-19 individual. We will guide you on what next steps to take regarding your return date to campus.
Important - Keep your children home while waiting for COVID-19 test results of anyone that could be a close contact individual for them.
SECTION 1: Symptoms from the CDC website
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. Anyone can have mild to severe symptoms. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
This list does not include all possible symptoms. CDC will continue to update this list as we learn more about COVID-19. Older adults and people who have severe underlying medical conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes seem to be at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19 illness.
SECTION 2: Close Contact/Potential Exposure
1. Had close contact (within 6 feet of someone for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period) with a person with confirmed COVID-19.
COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line
School Calendar for 2021-2022
Service Hour Opportunities
- Donating food during NJHS Food Collections at Mass.
- If you are able to provide a case of water to the school, you will earn 1 service hour per case.
- We are always in need of Lysol spray.
- We are always in need of Clorox wipes.
- Liquid hand soap
- Disposable gloves
- STREAM Enrichment supplies (listed below)
Every $10 you spend will earn 1 service hour. Thank you! We truly need the help.
8th grade garage sale
Home and School Association
Be sure to check out all of the HSA information found in this week's Thursday Folder!
Monday Morning Prayer Service Zoom Invite
Diane Price is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Monday Morning Prayer Service
Time: 08:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Mon, until May 23, 2022, 40 occurrence(s)
Join by clicking here - https://esc11.zoom.us/j/88516285709
Meeting ID: 885 1628 5709
Monday Morning Prayer service
Frassati Medal Recipient
The Beatitude Julia displayed: Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.
Knights in Action!
Talent Show and Dinner
These 8th graders spent time this afternoon advertising the Dinner and Talent Show happening later this month.
| || |
Our Student Council is gearing up for a great year! Thank you, Mrs. Wolanin, for leading this group!
Mrs. Connor's students were cautiously awaiting the results of combing liquids...thank goodness Mrs. Connor's had everything under control.
| || |
Mrs. Asher's students have been learning about the life styles of indigenous people.
Mrs. Seed's students were outside observing nature this afternoon and making note of what they saw. What a beautiful afternoon for this type of learning!
| || |
Library in action!
Students are ready to check out books once again! This is truly exciting to see!
Mrs. Hess, our retired Music and Fine Arts teacher, wanted to give back to her parish community and help the school. We now have choir back at SJCS. Thank you, Mrs. Hess. We appreciate you!
Mrs. Lopez's students enjoyed getting their wiggles out during a lesson in the library.
Love of art
Mr. Suarez's art students are always looking forward to encountering something new in his classes.
Honoring Our First Responders
8th grade Retreat
This Week in Art
Our Knights have worked on a variety of art pieces this week, using their God-given talents to be creative:
2nd Grade: Aboriginal Animal Bark paintings
1st Grade: Cave Art Painting
5th Grade: Patriotic Art: Remembering 9/11 on the 20th anniversary of the tragic events of September 11, 2001
8th Grade: Anatomy of the Hand: Drawing hand gestures with pencil, blending stump and an eraser
STREAM Mission Statement
Our purpose is to engage students in hands-on activities to find creative solutions to real-world problems using collaboration, critical thinking, creativity, and data analysis, with an understanding that all things STREAM lead to God.
This week in STREAM, students were given the chance to choose their STEM activity.
Looks like imagination won over with the creation of baseball diamonds, boats,
and Geoboard designs.
Current STREAM Wish List
- Popsicle sticks
- Small dixie cups
- Hula Hoops
THANK YOU from the STREAM TEAM!!!
What's growing in the greenhouse?
Thanks to Mr. Bill Williams from our Advisory Council, the greenhouse continues to receive upgrades in air circulation, water access, and work space. Thank you, Mr. Williams!
SJCS Alumni News
Class of 2021 Yearbook Signing
Here are two SJCS alumni spending some time together! Freshman Joshua Aguirre was paired with Senior Ryan Jimenez for "Twin Day" as part of Nolan Catholic High School's Welcome Week. So wonderful to see their smiling faces, and thank you, Ryan, for continuing your service to others.
St. Joseph Parish News
Meet our parish priests!
Weekly Mass Opportunity
Sacramental Prep for 2nd Graders
Classes start in October for St. Joseph Parishioners.
- Parish website link: https://stjoe88.org/
- Please join the parish for daily and weekend Masses at this link: https://youtu.be/LxIRBSew1yI
- Please continue tithing to your parish. St. Joseph Parishioners may go to this link to give: https://stjoe88.org/giving
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
Join Bishop Olson for mass
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.