The Mustang Minute
September 19th, 2021
From the Principals' Offices...
It has been an exciting week at Brookwood! We are officially three weeks in now! Students have met all of their new teachers, reconnected with their friends, and dove into new learning. It is great to see the excitement and engagement in all the classrooms!
On Friday, September 24th, all BMS and BES students are invited to wear GOLD and participate in our annual Gold Walk, an event is to raise awareness for pediatric cancer. The event will take place during the school day. Because of Covid19, we will be restricting participation to students and staff only once again this year. If you would like to make a donation to the Kisses from Keegan and Friends Pediatric Cancer Foundation, please contact Ms. Mohr at: email@example.com.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Mustang families!
Mr. Braden & Mrs. Franz
- 9/24 - Go Gold Walk For Pediatric Cancer (students & staff only), during school day
- 10/1 - BFO Glow Run, Registration 6:30pm/Run at 7pm
- 10/11 - NO SCHOOL (Staff Inservice)
- 10/12 - Picture Retakes
- 10/15 - BMS Band @ Badger Homecoming Parade
- 10/23 - Fall Fest
- 10/27 & 10/28 - Parent Teacher Conferences
- 10/29 - NO SCHOOL
6th Grade Camp - Fun for ALL!!
Guth Games Coming Soon to BMS!
Mr. Guth is excited to bring back "Guth Games" to the students of BMS! For those not in the "know", Guth Games are fun exercise activities, sports, and games hosted by Personal Wellness teacher, Mr. Guth, in the gym during the colder months of the school year. This is a GREAT way to get students moving right away in the morning to kickstart their day!
WHEN: (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, November 2nd - March 24th, 7:00 - 7:30am
WHERE: BMS GYM (enter building in FRONT doors)
- Tuesdays: 4th & 5th Graders
- Wednesday: 6th, 7th & 8th Graders
- Thursdays: 4th & 5th Graders
Questions? Contact Mr. Guth at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to seeing our BMS students there!
The Golden Horseshoe Award Begins at Brookwood!
We'll plan to keep you all abreast of where the horseshoe travels to this year each week! Hmmm...I wonder who will get in next??
From the Classroom...
Growing Greatness at Brookwood Elementary School
What's Going on in Ms. Mohr's Leadership Class?
- On "Mindful Mondays", with Mrs. Obry's help, students educate the BMS populace on tips and tricks to get in the right frame of mind for the week ahead.
- On "Trivia Tuesdays" students read aloud a trivia question over the loudspeaker and the class that calls in first with the correct answer wins!
- "Wordy Wednesdays" are used to bolster school-wide vocabulary and language acquisition. Leadership students announce the "Word of the Week", and teachers then spend the rest of the week integrating that word into their daily instruction and celebrating students' correct usage of that word while discussing the learning taking place in their classes.
- Thursdays are now "Thankful Thursdays" and displaying gratitude is key. Students and staff are encouraged all week to write a short note of thanks to someone else in the building. These are submitted to Mrs. Mohr, and on Thursdays, a student reads aloud some of the most meaningful ones over the PA for all to hear.
- Fridays are...you guessed it...FIESTA FRIDAYS! Tuesday Trivia winners get to pick the playlist of songs to be played at the end of the day to kick off our weekend. How fun!
Old News, But Good News...
Middle School Parking Lot Safety
Couple of Reminders Regarding Parking Lot Safety in the AM and PM:
- Doors to BMS open at 7:30am. Please plan on having your student arrive to school no sooner than 7:25am so that we can ensure that they are appropriately supervised until the doors open.
- Parents Dropping 4/5 Students Off: Plan on entering the building on the north side, near the 4/5 wing. Park in any vacant spot and hold your child in the car until all buses have safely exited the area.
- Parents Dropping 6, 7, and 8 Students Off: Please enter in the south entrance, line up in front of the building in a single file line to drop your child off. We thank you for not pulling around other cars to skip ahead in line, as this presents an added safety hazard for our kids.
Academic Lab & Late Bus for BMS Students
The "Late Bus" will also be running to drop off students at home. The late bus will cover the entire district, so the ride home will be a little longer than normal, but it will provide a transportation option for students who have not been able to stay after school for activities or extra help because they didn’t have a ride home. The late bus will be available to all students, grades 4-8, on Mondays-Thursdays, and departs from BMS promptly at 4:30pm.
Please feel free to reach out to Mrs. Franz for questions: email@example.com
It’s spirit wear order time! The online store will be open until September 19, 2021. All orders will be delivered at school unless USPS is selected during checkout. New this year: baseball hats and alumni gear!
Perform with Newsies!
Badger High School is offering an exciting opportunity for 4th - 8th graders to sing and dance with the cast of Newsies. Auditions will be held at the Badger High School Auditorium on Monday, September 20th, 2021. Rehearsals and shows will take place Thursday, November 4th - Saturday, November 13th. Please contact Mrs. Bullock (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Lunch Account Information
All students will continue to receive free breakfasts and lunches.
Parents can check their child's lunch account balance in PowerSchool, and can send a cash or check deposit or make an electronic deposit via efunds.