All Around APS
News from the Andover Public Schools - November 19, 2021
Andover High School Varsity Football team will hold their “Thanksgiving Day” football game this year against North Andover at historic Fenway Park on Tuesday, November 23, 2021, at approximately 7:30 p.m. AHS Varsity Football, AHS Varsity Cheerleaders and AHS Marching Band will all participate in the event. General admission tickets are available for purchase here starting at $20/ticket for each individual game.
We're More Than Ready
Earlier this month, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) filmed a commercial with students and staff from Andover High School. The “We’re More than Ready” campaign will be featured across platforms in Massachusetts, including TV and radio, digital and print ads, social media and mobile devices beginning in January 2022.
Celebrating APS Art & Andover's 375th
As you pass through downtown, make sure to take a look at the more than 40 flags created by APS students celebrating Andover’s 375th anniversary. This project was led by AHS Art teacher Kaitlin Dierze and includes work from the high school, Doherty Middle School and High Plain Elementary. Student flags depicted places of importance to them in Andover and reflected on what the community means to them. We hope you get the chance to see their work and celebrate our students.
National Honor Society
From the desk of Dr. Parvey
- Dr. Parvey would like to extend an invitation to the community and will host office hours on Wednesday, December 1st from 6 – 7:30 PM. There is no set agenda, other than to meet Dr. Parvey and let her know your experiences with the district. These are not scheduled one-on-one meetings and will take place in an informal group setting. Educators, students and families are all welcome to attend at any time. We look forward to seeing you.
- I recently shared my Entry Plan for the 2021-22 School Year. If you have not had the opportunity to review, the document is located on our website.
District Notes and Upcoming Dates
- The 2022-23 School Year calendar is now available to our staff and families.
- The School Committee will hold it’s next regular meeting on Thursday, December 2nd. The agenda will be posted up to 48 hours in advance on our website.
The School Committee welcomes the community for an informal forum at Memorial Hall Library on Saturday, December 11, 2021 from 9:30 -11AM. These forums have no set agenda, and the community is welcome to drop in at any time to speak with two members of the School Committee on any topics related to our schools.
- New issues of All Around APS will be published the Friday following School Committee meetings during the school year.
- Wednesday, November 24th – Early Release Day
- Thursday, November 25th & Friday, November 26th – Thanksgiving Recess
Holidays & Observances
- Chanukah/ Hanukkah begins at sundown on Sunday, November 28th.
- November 15-19 is National Education Week, celebrating public education and honoring the individuals working to ensure that every student receives a quality education.
- November is National Military Family Appreciation Month, National Native American Month, National Adoption Month, and National Scholarship Month.
DESE Comprehensive District Review
Andover Public Schools has been chosen by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to take part in DESE’s Comprehensive District Review.
- This review will focus DESE’s six standards of effective district practice defined in state regulations. The six standards include leadership & governance, curriculum & instruction, assessment, human resources, professional development, student support, and financial and asset management.
- The review will take place over the coming school year and DESE will meet with staff, school committee members, students and families. DESE’s final report will include findings and recommendations that can support efforts to maximize learning opportunities for students. Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning, Dr. Julie Riley, presented an overview of this process at a recent school committee meeting. Some APS families will have an opportunity to participate in the review, we will provide more information in the December 3rd All Around APS.
Information from Andover's Director of Public Health
The Town of Andover posts a weekly Covid-19 update to the website on Fridays, available here.
As a general reminder:
- If your child doesn’t feel well, keep him/her at home and obtain a PCR test for Covid-19.
- We are seeing extensive spread within families; be aware of symptoms in any family member.
- Seek out vaccines for all family members when they become eligible for it. While vaccination may not keep someone from becoming ill, it will decrease the seriousness of the infection, help limit transmission, and protect others.
APS Community Updates
Many of our schools are holding drives and collections for the holiday season. For those families and staff who have donated, thank you. Please keep an eye on communications from your school for opportunities to help others during this time of year.
To honor our veterans and military families, Bancroft Elementary School students created a wall of honor and held a pasta fundraiser to benefit military families.
Doherty Middle School is hosting a Holiday Gift Card Drive in partnership with the DMS PAC. Holiday gift card (Target, Market Basket, Shaws, etc.) are being collected to distribute to families needing support this holiday season. Card can be brought to the main office and all donations are confidential.
High Plain Elementary also just completed their pasta drive for veterans and will be collecting non-perishable food for Neighbors in Need.
Sanborn Elementary held its annual Harvest Festival this year. Students in each grade made an item for gift bags, and also donated a food item. Gift bags were delivered to the Robb Senior Center, Meals on Wheel program and Atria Marland Place.
South Elementary is teaming up with Caring Partners' Coats for Kids & Families to collect winter coats for children and adults in need. Coats can be donated until the end of December.
West Elementary is hosting it Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Warrior Walk on Friday, November 19th, more information can be found here.
West Middle School will also be collecting coats and clothing until November 24th in coordination with Aaron’s Presents.