VO News You Can Use
Dr. O's Weekly Parent Newsletter
NCSD Mission Statement
Developing each student's potential with a world class education.
September 21, 2020
Dear Village Oaks Families,
I hope you all enjoyed your weekend! It was a pleasure seeing some of you during our Virtual Student's Supply Pick-up for 4th, 3rd, 2nd grade students last week. We are off to a great start this year! Please review the reminders and updates below.
- When breaks are given to students throughout the day by teachers we encourage all students to get up and move away from their screens so they are not constantly looking at their computers. Teachers will continue to remind students; please reiterate the message at home.
- In order for teachers to get an accurate picture of your child's ability and support their specific needs we need to know their true ability level. So please let your child do their own work specifically when they are being assessed.
- Teachers are accessible via email and during their prep hour (not during regular school hours). Please refrain from conferencing with your child's teacher during the day.
- If your child needs help during a lesson, remind them to use the help button at the bottom of the Zoom page.
- Please remind your child to wear their mask over their nose.
- Masks with vents are not permitted. If a student wears an inappropriate mask to school we will provide them with an appropriate one for the remainder of the day.
A few important updates:
- Each week we're asking parents to send pictures of their children working virtually from home to Mrs. Katy Golden, our Media Specialist, at Katy.firstname.lastname@example.org so we can celebrate their hard work on Friday morning announcements!
- Wednesday, Sept. 23rd we will do a Virtual Student's School Supplies Pick-up for 1st, and Kindergarten students. Please complete the health screener before coming to the cafeteria to collect your children's school supplies. A hard copy is attached, which can also be filled out and brought back to the school before entering the building.
We are still in need of noon aides to help supervise our lunches. This is a paid position. For more information, please contact Melissa Kruger at email@example.com or by phone at 248-996-7215
VO Garden Donations
We Need your Support to Help our Garden Grow
The 2020-2021 school year has seen a lot of changes at Village Oaks, but perhaps the BEST change has been the addition of our new VO Garden and Greenhouse! The Novi Education Foundation has generously supported the mission of creating an outdoor learning space where students can learn about plants and gardening through hands-on experience. Our new Garden also helps with our vision of providing fresh, healthy food for our students and those in need. While we have been well supported by the District and the amazing NEF, we want to do more. In order to begin projects THIS FALL we are reaching out to our VO Community to ask for you support with supplies and materials to help both our new VO Garden and Greenhouse, and to improve our VO Pollinator Garden which did not get as much care and attention this past spring with the school being closed.
If you are interested in supporting Gardening and the learning opportunities they provide please consider donating the following items:
Flowers: Seeds/Bulbs: Equipment (can be gently used):
Chrysanthemum Radish Seeds Garden Rake
Pansy Lettuce Seeds Angled Shovel
Celosia Buttercup Bulbs Wheelbarrow
Aster Crocus Bulbs Watering Cans
Dianthus Daffodil Bulbs Hose (75 or 100 Foot Lengths)
Diasica Iris Bulbs Nozzle/Spray Attachment
Nemesia Lily Bulbs Adult/Kid Size Garden Gloves
Osteospermum *Any bulk fall bulb Garden Hoe
Donations can be dropped off on Thursday, September 24th, and Thursday, October 1st from 4:30-6:30 in front of the Main Entrance. On those evenings, or any other time you happen to stop by the school, we invite you to check out our new VO Garden Space and Greenhouse, which are located behind the school/outside of the Specials Entrance. Thank you!
Daily Health Screener is now on the VO website
VO Staff Training
2020-2021 Curriculum Nights
Please mark the following dates on your calendars:
Kindergarten: Tuesday, Sept. 29th at 6:00pm
First Grade: Wednesday, Oct. 7th at 6:30pm
Second Grade: Wednesday, Sept. 23rd at 5:30pm
Third Grade: Monday, Sept. 28th at 6:00pm
Fourth Grade: Thursday, Oct. 1st at 6:00pm
Specials: Wednesday, Oct. 7th at 7:30pm
ESL: Wednesday, September 30 at 6:00pm
Virtual Student's School Supplies Pick-up Dates
Kindergarten & 1st Grade
Wednesday, September 23rd from 1:00-4:00 in the VO Cafeteria
$2 charge for second slice of PIZZA
Introducing our new 4th grade teacher, Mrs. LaPorte!
Hello! I am Erin LaPorte and I am the new 4th grade teacher! This is my 13th year teaching and 5th year teaching 4th grade! I am joining the Village Oaks team this year from Orchard Hills, where I have been the last 6 years. Previous to that, I taught in Wayne-Westland Community School District. I live in Novi with my husband and 3 daughters and dog. My oldest two, Ellie and Bella, go to Deerfield and Marigold is 3 years old. I graduated from EMU with my degree in Elementary Education and have endorsements in both reading and Early Childhood. I have my Masters in Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment from Marygrove College. I am so excited to be joining our VO family! It is going to be a great year!
Picture Days at VO
Thursday October 8th for Hybrid A students
Friday October 9th for Hybrid B students
Wednesday October 14th for Virtual students-Photographers will be in the gym. Please enter gym from playground. (The rest of the building is deep cleaned on Wednesday.)
Please follow schedule:
10:00-11:00 First Grade
11:00-12:00 2nd Grade
12:00-1:00 3rd Grade
1:00-2:00 4th Grade
(If you have siblings that attend VO, you may come at either time.)
VO Box Tops 2020-2021
Please see the important information below about ways to support VO with Box Tops:
- Receipts from any store with Box Top items are eligible, including Costco and Target.
- Take a picture of your receipt within 14 days of purchase for it to be valid.
- Friends and extended family can also select Village Oaks as their donation school in their app.
- This is an easy and safe way to support Village Oaks and every little bit helps to make a big difference!
Thank you for your continued support!
VO Spirit Wear
HEY PARENTS! Don't forget to add Spirit Wear to your back to school list. Stitch and Scribe has so many options available this year. . Sherpa sweatshirts, t-shirts, masks, lanyards, water bottles and more! Visit their website https://stitchandscribe.com/collections/village-oaks-spirit-wear/Village-Oaks-Spirit-Wear and click the Village Oaks Spirit Wear link at the top. A portion of the sale supports Village Oaks!
ROAR-Responsive Organizational & Academic Return Plan
The most current version of the ROAR plan is listed below and will be updated, as needed, throughout the 2020-2021 school year.
Yearbook Committee Seeking Photos
Do you have some great photos you would love to see in the yearbook?
We are currently seeking first day of school photos and other school related activities including lunch time, outdoor play and in academic activity photos.
Please submit them to the Yearbook Committee e-mail: VOYearbookPTO@gmail.com
Be sure to include a description of the event/activity in the photo including hybrid or virtual, as well as the teacher’s name if appropriate.
We are hiring noon aides!
We are currently looking for more noon aides to help supervise students during lunch and recess when we return to school. This is a paid position, not volunteer. We could use your help whether it's one or more days a week. For more information, please contact Melissa Kruger at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 248-996-7215.
Novi Mental Health Alliance--Parent Empowering Parent Program
The Parent Empowering Parent Program connects parents in need with parents who know. PEP pairs up a parent who has experienced challenges in his or her own parenting to providing support, encouragement, and knowledge, to another parent going through a similar situation. Below are the flyers for program.
Learn more about the Novi Mental Health Alliance by visiting the website at: https://www.novi.k12.mi.us/community/novi-mental-health-alliance
Volunteer and Donation Opportunities
One of the things that makes our building so special is our diverse student population--we have families in our community who come from all over the world! To celebrate our global diversity we have hung flags in our cafeteria that represent many of the countries of our VO families. As a gift from VO retirees we were given flags of the following countries: Israel, India, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, South Korea, China, and USA. Thank you to our parents who have also donated the following flags: Poland, Singapore, Japan, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Nepal, Greece, Pakistan, Uruguay, Ecuador, Portugal, Spain, Central African Republic, South Africa, Wales, Iceland, Australia, Armenia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Russia, Scotland and Yemen. If you would like to purchase a flag of your country of origin or to represent one of the many nationalities of our school please visit Amazon and search for an ANLEY 3x5 flag: VO Flags
Before purchasing and donating the flag to our school’s collection please contact me or one of our secretaries with the flag information so we can make sure that another family has not already ordered the same flag.
This year NCSD elementary schools will continue our partnership with Playworks to enhance the learning experiences for students throughout the district. Playworks is the leading nonprofit in Michigan and nationally using play to transform schools. A Playworks recess creates a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Please open the attached PDF to meet Coach C!
Parent Pick-up/Parking & Bus Stop Expectations
As you pick-up and drop off your children please be mindful of the following:
- All adults and students are expected to wear their masks during pick up and drop off times.
- Please socially distance yourself from others as you wait to drop off or pick up your child from school.
- Do not park in front of our neighbors' driveways or mailboxes.
- Park in our parking lot and keep your pet in your car.
- For the safety of our students do not walk your children through our bus loop as students are loading/exiting our busses.
- Stay in your car as you drive through our car loop.
- Please do not drop off children before 8:55am. We do not have any supervision outside prior to this time.
- If you arrive late, please walk your child into the office and sign them in. Whenever someone enters the building they will be asked to complete a Covid Health Screener Form.
We ask that you remind your children that VO expectations/rules apply at our bus stops. We expect all of our students to be on their best behavior as they wait for their bus. We appreciate your help.
Thank you for your support!
VO National Blue Ribbon Exemplary School
Village Oaks Elementary
VO school hours: 9:08 am-4:00 pm
Office hours: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Attendance line: 248.449.1301
Office phone number: 248.449.1300