Future Bronco News
For all incoming 9th grade families!
Welcome to Northgate!
There were several dates during the spring and others coming up that will offer you and your student a chance to get acquainted with the school. Additionally, these dates will give you critical information on course selection, and will offer helpful guidance on how to plan for the year ahead.
Participation in these events will help you and your student get ahead in terms of learning how to maximize success at Northgate.
Course Scheduling Packets
Where do I get these packets?
They are also available on the school website
Need help Choosing classes?
Middle School Counseling Visits
These meetings were intended for every 8th grade student planning to come to Northgate
Academic and Extracurricular Highlights
PW dazzles on the stage and in the Zoom
NHS Jazz Ensembles maintain their reign as one of the best in CA
Choir entertains year-round, in the community and on stage
See NHS in Action!
Performing and Visual Arts
Contact: Greg Brown, Director- email@example.com
Vocal Music- Auditions and Placement generally in May, working also with middle school programs
Contact: Geoff Carter, Director- firstname.lastname@example.org
Dance- Auditions and Placement in May; 9th grade students may be placed in Dance I or II only.
Contact: Kourtnie Howerton- email@example.com
Drama- Auditions and Placement generally in May, working with middle school programs
Contact: John Litten- firstname.lastname@example.org
Visual Art- 9th grade students generally begin with Art Design A/B or Intro to Animation; contact department chair for more information
Contact: Carolyn Moore- email@example.com
If your child is interested in playing a sport, please contact the coach and keep an eye on the website for announcements. Our Athletics Webpage includes information on how to register and important dates. All athletes must upload a current physical.
Our sports medicine program has a one day opportunity for athletes to come get their physicals, while also benefiting the program that will help to keep them healthy and playing all year round.
Club Offerings at NHS
Check out our current club offerings, and some of their promotional videos!
Frequently Asked Questions
- If you live within the Northgate HS boundary, your student is automatically pre-enrolled. You will need to complete a residency verification in August.
-If you are from the Choice (unassigned) area or out of residency, please be sure to communicate with student services and follow deadlines. Enrollment is done by the district office.
We are pre-enrolled, now what?
- Course request forms must be completed and submitted in March. Class lists will be emailed during the summer to adjust for errors or changes, and official schedules are given at walk through registration in August.
- All 9th grade families will need to complete an address verification with the Northgate office during a particular time span in August, to be announced later. (Generally the first two weeks in August before walk through registration).
Are there any AP or Honors courses for my 9th grader?
- There are no honors or AP courses that 9th graders take. Many classes are prescribed 9th grade year, including Freshmen PE, Living Earth (Biology), and English I. Math classes are assigned based on 8th grade placement and CAASSP scores.
What is Link Crew?
-Link Crew is our freshman transition program, where junior and senior students are trained to be Link Crew Leaders, and freshmen are put into small groups with two leaders, who remain with them throughout the year. They will meet their leaders at Freshmen Orientation, and continue to interact and receive mentoring and assistance from them throughout the year in Strategic Support.
What is Strategic Support?
- Northgate has a unique bell schedule where built in two times a week are periods of time for students to study and work on homework and have the opportunity to work with student mentors. This is called Strategic Support (SS), which operates as a separate class, occurring between 3rd and 4th period. 9th grade students are assigned to these classes by link crew, and do not change classes throughout the year. 10th-12th grade students are assigned depending on if they are mentor volunteers (similar to tutors) or if they are struggling in a particular subject area (assigned to tutorial for that subject area), or if they just need the study time.
Student organized holiday toy drive
NHS Academic Counselors are ready to help!
Who do I contact?
Intra and Inter-District Transfers
Interdistrict transfer forms for requests were made available as of March 13th.
Unassigned (choice) area families
You MUST confirm your intent with the district office by sending back the form mailed to you or your request may be dropped.
Please contact Student Services if you have questions. 925-682-8000 ext 4069
Some Tips from the Pros
- Parents should sign up for newsletters and read all the updates/information pieces that come out, NHS does a great job of keeping parents informed.
- Drop off can get hairy. Allow for plenty of time, as the slow-down is real, drive through the drop off area (pull forward as far as possible before stopping) and do not stay after your child has left the vehicle. Please also remember students are all over the area- illegal u-turns and speeding are unsafe and put all of our children at risk.
- As a student, the best way to feel like you're a part of the big school is to be involved! Take a look at the club offerings, athletics and arts, and find something to do with your peers!
- Northgate is a GREAT school. 9th Grade Parents need to trust their children. As their child begins High School, realize it is the first step to growing a happy, productive adult. Don't shelter them and do things for them. Let your child navigate through everything high school has to offer - from Walkthrough before school starts, to their classes and extra curricular activities. Guide them, but let them choose! Both you, and they, will be happier!