PACT for Prevention
COMMIT TO HEALTHY CHOICES TO HELP PREVENT BIRTH DEFECTS
Avoid Harmful Substances/ Avoid Smoking Cigarettes/ Avoid Marijuana/Other "street drugs"
- Avoid alcohol at any time during pregnancy.
- THERE IS NO SAFE TIME TO DRINK ALCOHOL DURING PREGNANCY!!
- This can cause a miscarriage, stillbirth, and a range of lifelong physical, behavioral, and intellectual disabilities.
CHOOSE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
- Keep diabetes under control.
- Poor control can increase the chances of birth defects.
- This can also cause serious problems for the woman.
TALK WITH YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER
- Talk to a healthcare provider about taking medications or getting shots.
- A certain amount of medication can cause serious birth defects if they are taken during pregnancy.
- Most shots are safe during pregnancy, such as the flu.
- Pregnant women are more prone to illness from the flu, including hospitalizations and even death.