The Bond Brief
October 25, 2013
Reminders for the Week Ahead
- Goal Time is every Monday. Your child should have a plan in place of what he/she will be doing for the last 40 minutes of the day. The kids have been really into the rubberband bracelets. You do not need the loom to make a bracelet. The rubberbands are between $1.99-$2.99 a bag. Halloween decorations or small pumpkin painting could be an option too, if they would like to bring in the supplies.
- Book Logs will be checked on Monday. I expect each child to read at home a few times each week.
- The Halloween Party and Parade will take place on Thursday. Children can begin getting their costumes on at 1:00. They may not wear their costume to school.
- The third grade classes have and will be getting large ziplock-type bags for backpacks and coats. Mrs. Siegel ordered some for our class, and they are being shipped to Glengary.
- Basic Math Fact Word Series: Today we scrimmaged Miss White's class. Next week we will be scrimmaging again on Friday. Many students are struggling with subtraction. Please work on these facts with your child. They should know the answers and be able to say them to you within 3 seconds. (Today I gave them 5 seconds...and many struggled.)
STEM and ME Contest
Maddie's STEM Poster
We talked about the importance of color and what things stand out in marketing. Maddie did a high quality job on her poster, as did many of the students. I was very pleased!
It sounded like a casino in here when the kids were playing Math Bingo. We focused on subtraction. With each Bingo, the kids got a sticker.
The World Series Scrimmage!
We enjoyed scrimmaging with Miss White's class today! Miss White even led the kids in a 7th inning stretch song! What fun!
Maddie's STEM Poster
We will be Skyping a lot in the weeks to come!
Did your kids tell you about Mrs. Richard?
The Week in Review
Science: We took our BA this week. The students have corrected their tests, so they should know roughly how they did. I need to go back through and check bubbling errors, as I have found a few and want to make sure I report the accurate score.
Social Studies: We will begin next week learning about the geography of Michigan.
Writing: Today we had fun reviewing adjectives, nouns, and verbs, with the app Mad Libs. In addition, the students are still working on their Halloween stories. Many of the students are in the publishing phase. For word study today, I dictated sentences containing their words for them to write.
Reading: We are loving Out of My Mind! It is packed full of rich content, and we are having great discussions about life...and how to treat others! Ask your child what they have learned or have thought about while listening...you should have a lot to talk about! We will be Skyping with classes next week about the book! We even have a school from Flin Flon, Manitoba that we will be connecting with! Book Logs are due on Monday!