Good Books To Try!
Terrible Typhoid Mary by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
- narrative nonfiction (614.5 BAR)
- how would it feel to be imprisoned for life because of a disease you didn't know you had?
- tells the true story of Mary Mallon, who unknowingly spread the disease of typhoid among wealthy families in New York at the beginning of the 20th century
- not for the weak stomach!
Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
- fantasy fiction (F HAL)
- Miri lives on Mount Eskel, where it has been deemed the next princess will be found, so a school for girls has been started
- Miri wants to do all kinds of things EXCEPT be a princess, but maybe being a princess is how she can best help her family
- don't judge a book by its title--not just a girly princess book! Arguments, bandits, and scary dark closets included.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien
- fantasy fiction (F O'BR)
- Mrs. Frisby, a mouse, and her four children must go to their summer home immediately or they might die--but Mrs. Frisby's son Timothy is sick and can't walk. She doesn't know what to do.
- The rats of NIMH, who are highly intelligent, come to the rescue to help Mrs. Frisby solve her problem.
- Highest recommendation below!
Pax by Sara Pennypacker
- animal (?) fiction (F PEN)
- Peter saved Pax, a fox, when the fox was young and now they are inseparable. But when Peter has to go live with his grandfather, they take Pax to the woods and leave him there.
- This is the story of Peter and Pax trying to find each other again.
- be aware: some graphic scenes because of war
Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar
- adventure/suspense/environmental fiction (F SAC)
- Tamaya and Marshall have been walking home together forever, but one day get interrupted by the class bully, so they take a shortcut through the woods
- That decision will change their lives more than they ever thought, especially after the authorities and the US Senate get involved.
- book trailer: https://youtu.be/JTUv85vHKsY