Helium (He) AN-2 and AM-4.00260
$5.20 per gram
Helium is lighter than air and comes in handy for inflating balloons. Up, Up, and Away!
Helium is an important factor when diving. It is added to the breathing mix to reduce the proportions of nitrogen and oxygen below those of air, to allow the gas mix to be breathed safely on deep dives.
Blimps (pressure airships) are lighter than air vehicles that rely on Helium to maintain its shape.
Just a few reasons why it's so special.
2. The element is so light that Earth's gravity is not strong enough to hold on to it
3. It was discovered in the sun's atmosphere before it was found on Earth
4. Helium has been available on the open market since 1928
5. It is one of only two natural elements that has never been observed bonding to another element in a compound
6. Want to make a sick one feel better? want to celebrate a special someone's birthday? what better way to do both of those things than sending them a ballon or two?
7. Ever heard someone speak or sing while on Helium? Get ready for the chuckle of your life!
References Down Below!
Bentor, Yinon. "Periodic Table: Helium." Chemical Elements.com. Yinon Bentor, 2014. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.
"Helium." Chemistry Foundations and Applications Explained. Advameg, Inc., 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.
BRAIN, MARSHALL. "How Helium Balloons Work." HOWSTUFFWORKS SCIENCE. HowStuffWorks,, 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.
Jefferson National Accelerator Facility - Office of Science Education, Thomas. "The Element Helium." JEFFERSON LAB. Steve Gagnon., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.
"Helium." Chemicool Periodic Table. Chemicool.com. 17 oct. 2012 web. 11 Feb. 2016
Dr. Doug Stewart. "Facts about Helium." Chemicool. Chemicool.com, 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.
"Trimix (breathing Gas)." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia, 13 Jan. 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.
Grossman, Daniel. "Airships, Dirigibles, Zeppelins, & Blimps: What’s the Difference?" Airships.net: A Dirigible and Zeppelin History Site. Airships.net, 2009. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.