The Dolphin News
News & Information 3/14/21
South Lake Elementary School’s Biweekly Newsletter
A Message From Ms. King
South Lake is open and ready for selected students to return on March 15th! Parents of students who completed the survey requesting in-person learning should have received a connect-ed message about your child’s return. If you choose to receive transportation, you should have received information about bus routes and times. If you chose virtual learning or did not complete a survey, your child will remain virtual at this time. We are maintaining a wait-list and will notify parents as space becomes available. Please help us to keep everyone safe. DO NOT send your child to school or put them on a school bus if you have not been notified.
All students will continue to receive instruction from their teacher whether they are returning to school or remaining virtual. Wednesdays will continue to be virtual for ALL students. The following grade levels are returning for in-person instruction on March 15th: kindergarten, first, second, third and students with special education supports. Please DO NOT send your child to school if they are not a part of the groups returning.
Please help us to maintain a safe environment and continue rigorous instruction by:
- Taking your child’s temperature before school. Please DO NOT send your child to school with a fever. Students must be fever free for 24-hours
- Having in-person learners report to school on time. We will be admitting students into the building at 8:40 to provide time for breakfast. Instruction will begin promptly at 9:00 for both virtual and in-person students
- Maintaining social distance when walking your child to school. Parents will not be permitted to enter the building at any time
- Escorting your child to the entrance nearest your child’s classroom. Staff will be available outside to assist parents and students in finding their entrance
We have put safety measures in place throughout the building:
- Color-coded signs are displayed in bathrooms reminding students to social distance
- Students will be required to sign out/in when they leave the room
- One-way arrows are displayed throughout the building
- Multiple doors are being used to enter and exit the building
- All water fountains have been disabled to prevent the spread of germs
- PPE stations are set-up in hallways
All students will continue to receive lunch between 11:30 and 1:00. Students receiving in-person learning will also have recess. Schedules will be provided by your child’s teacher.
Spring break remains March 29 – April 5th. To mitigate the transmission of COVID-19 in schools upon return from spring break, Tuesday, April 6th will be a virtual learning day for all students. Wednesday, April 7th will remain a virtual learning day. Students in grades four and five who have selected in-person learning will begin instruction in the building on Thursday, April 8th.
Chat with South Lake Administrators
Want to speak to Ms. King, Mrs. Levy, or Mr. McKinley? Come join us online, every TUESDAY from 8:30 am until 9:30 am for our open office hours. You can join by clicking on the Google Meet link, meet.google.com/ett-vojp-kuh or you can call in. Call in Phone Numbers (US)+1 501-819-2397 PIN: 582 026 222#
March 15 - Kindergarten, first, second and third grade students and special education students that selected in person learning, return to the building.
March 16 - Chat with administrators online, Office Hours 8:30 am - 9:30 am https://meet.google.com/ett-vojp-kuh (US) +1 501-819-2397 PIN: 582 026 222#
March 18 - STRONG PARENTS-STRONG CHILDREN SUPPORT GROUP every Thursday 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm on Zoom (link will be shared on Class Dojo)
March 23 - Chat with administrators online, Office Hours 8:30 am - 9:30 am https://meet.google.com/ett-vojp-kuh (US) +1 501-819-2397 PIN: 582 026 222#
March 23 - COVID Testing begins
March 24 - Family Market 1:30 pm
March 29 - April 5 - Spring Break, No School
COVID-19 testing will begin at our school on Tuesday, March 23, 2021.
We must all do our part to prevent the transmission of the COVID-19 virus in our schools. This includes participating in school-provided COVID-19 testing to identify cases where the student or staff member may not be showing symptoms. MCPS families were notified about this new effort in February and March. Tests will be provided for all students and staff on a weekly basis. Each swab will be placed in a common tube for that classroom or group and sent off to a central testing laboratory. The test detects whether the virus that causes COVID-19 is present in that pooled sample. Schools will receive results within 2-3 days. A consent form was sent via ConnectED. If you do not complete the consent form, your child will not be able to participate in testing. Please contact us if you have any questions.
A Message From Mrs. Levy
We have been working hard to prepare the building for the phase 1.1 return of our kindergarten - third grade students, special education students and staff as Ms. King shared.
During our new arrival and dismissal, we will be utilizing all doors around the building. Please do not gather in large groups during arrival and dismissal. Here are the areas that we will be receiving and dismissing students from:
- Door #1 (front main door) - Students in second grade that are in rooms 8, 9 will enter and dismiss through this door.
- Door #8 (back parking lot door) ALL kindergarten students will be received and dismiss through this door.
- Door #24 (near the playground stairs) - Third grade students in rooms 13B, 10 and 18.
- All other rooms enter through the direct door to the classroom. First grade rooms are near the front and playground side of the building and third, fourth and fifth grade rooms are near the playground side of the building.
Please remember that each week, parents MUST fill out the health attestation form for any students attending in person learning at South Lake. Click here for the form and remember to fill out each before your child enters the building. If you have any questions or need any help, please contact one of our parent community coordinators.
We look forward to moving into our next phase of learning. Please do not hesitate to contact us, your child's teacher or one of our parent community coordinators with any questions.
Food Distributions and Food Resources
- Meal Service Changes March - MCPS will continue to provide free breakfast, lunch and dinner meals to all students in schools and at designated food distribution sites. Meals will be served Monday, Tuesday (double meal day), Thursday and Friday (triple meal day). There will be no meal service on Wednesdays. Please visit our meals website to see the updated list of food distribution sites: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/reopening/meals/
- Please click here for food distributions. We will update this link with food distributions that are occuring every week. The link is in English, Spanish and French. Please let us know if it needs to be translated into any other language. For additional information, please click here or call the Food Access Call Center at 311.
- MCPS Early Morning Bulk Box Meals to Accommodate Working Parents You must pre-order boxes here the week before. Click here to register. For more information, click here. Pick up: Tuesdays or Friday from 7:30 - 8:30 am at SENECA VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL 19401 Crystal Rock Dr, Germantown
South Lake's Parent Community Coordinators
Questions? Need Help? Contact our Parent Community Cordinators
If you have questions about technology, lunch, family services or need any other assistance, please contact one of our parent community coordinators. We're here to help!
Personal motivation & knowing your rights
Parental engagement and learning about our school system
Positive discipline and guidance for children
Representatives in local government
Values to live by, and becoming civically engaged.
And much more...
When: Wednesday (8 classes) First Class March 17
Time: 4:00 - 5:30 pm
Where: ZOOM - Meeting; 890 2264 5374 - Password: clases
Who Can Attend: South Lake Parents
Registration: Click here
Presenter: Mayra Cruz Solís, Civic Engagement Coordinator, Montgomery County Council
If you have questions, please call the coordinator with de Linkages to Learning at 240-672-4569 or one of the school coordinators. We look forward to seeing you and please register!
PreK & Headstart - Cesiah Ventura (English & Spanish)
Email Cesiah_Ventura@mcpsmd.org Phone 240-740-4530
Kindergarten & First Grade - Maria Romero (English & Spanish)
Email Maria_G_Romero@mcpsmd.org Phone 240-457-9242
Second & Third Grade - Allison Suarez-Charles (English & Spanish)
Email Allison_J_Charles@mcpsmd.org Phone 240-753-0411
Fourth Grade - Dary Herrera (English & Spanish)
Email Dary_Y_Herrera-Jurado@mcpsmd.org Phone 240-550-4712
Fifth Grade - Tony (Fernando) Maturana (English & Spanish)
Email Fernando_A_Maturana@mcpsmd.org Phone 724-259-7903
SLES & MCPS Updates
MCPS Seeking Feedback on 2021-2022 School Year Calendar Options
During a work session on March 9, 2021, the Board of Education reviewed calendar scenarios for the 2021-2022 school year. MCPS has developed two calendar scenarios that reflect different start and end dates for the 2021-2022 school year. To view the draft calendar scenarios, please click here.
All draft scenarios include:
Full spring break
Possible make-up days
A minimum of 180 instructional days
The Board is seeking feedback on the calendar options. You can share your thoughts on the options here. The Board also reviewed and discussed two options for the Innovative School calendar (Arcola and Roscoe Nix elementary schools). The Board is scheduled to adopt the final traditional and innovative school calendars on March 23.
Hours Changed for Chromebook Distribution
There are new hours for Chromebook distribution at 45 W. Gude Dr. in Rockville. Distribution will take place Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will not be distribution on Fridays. More information is available here.
Update on Mathematics Courses
MCPS recognizes the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted many students’ learning in mathematics over the course of the 2020 and 2021 school years. As a result, adjustments to existing courses and alternative recommendations for course pathways are currently being discussed. While no decisions have been made for the 2021-2022 school year, MCPS continues to engage in discussions and will meet with school principals, teachers and the community to receive feedback and make needed adjustments.
A final decision about the district mathematics course offerings will be made in April. As a result, mathematics course offerings and student recommendations for the 2021-2022 school year may change in the coming weeks and months based on student data and anticipated readiness. Addressing the needs of all students continues to be the top priority for the district.
Update on State Testing
The Maryland State Board of Education recently approved that the following spring 2021 assessments will be cancelled:
English Language Arts (ELA) (grades 3-8, 10)
Mathematics (grades 3-8 and Algebra 1)
Alternate Assessments in ELA and Reading (grades 3-8, 11)
Maryland Integrated Science Assessments (MISA) in grade 8 and high school
Government Assessment in high school
The ACCESS for ELLs assessment for students who are English Language Learners will continue for those students who will be attending in-person instruction.
The MCAP ELA and Math assessments will be given to students in the fall of 2021, on a much smaller scale. School staff will use data from the assessments to assess student progress.
The Maryland State Department of Education will provide additional information on how the cancellation of these spring assessments will impact high school assessment graduation requirements.
Positive Office Referrals
We love celebrating all of the amazing things our students and staff are doing at South Lake! If your child has earned a Positive Office Referral, that means they are standing out as an exceptional student. Teachers recognize students for many things including attendance, work completion, good character, strong work ethic, collaboration, and responsibility. You too can submit a positive office referral for a staff member. Email it to Mr. McKinley at Aaron_A_McKinley@mcpsmd.org so we can include it in our weekly videos! Look for more videos coming soon!
Ms. Hissey - School Counselor
Ms. Hughes - School Counselor
Visit our Website