John Jay HS/Science & Engineering Academy
HOW CAN I SEE THE COUNSELOR?
Students can see their counselor at the following times:
- Before school
- During their lunch
- After school
**For an immediate personal need and/or responsive services, students may be seen right away.**
Parents can call the Counseling Office (210)397-2732 to set up an appointment.
HOW THE COUNSELORS HELPED IN AUGUST
Thank you for a great senior parent night!
- Ms. Rebeccah Del Rio-Valdez, Parent/Community Liaison
- Mr. Marco Hernandez and the Custodial Staff
- Ms. Linda Weston, Principal's Secretary
- Ms. Mozelle Moreno, SAEP Student Success Advisor
Not sure how to prepare for the PSAT? Click below to learn more about the PSAT.
GUIDANCE IN OCTOBER
- Guidance curriculum is used to help students develop basic life skills.
- Guidance lessons are delivered in various classrooms throughout the year.
INDIVIDUAL PLANNING in October
- Individual planning guides students as they plan, monitor, and manage their own educational, career, and personal-social development.
- Through individual planning, students able to:
- Set challenging educational, career, and personal-social goals.
- Make plans for achieving short- and long-term goals.
- Analyze their strengths and weaknesses.
- Assess their current progress to their goals.
- Make decisions that reflect their plans.
- Responsive services are used to help students whose immediate personal concerns or problems put their continued personal-social, career, and/or educational development at risk.
- The Counseling Department offers individual and/or group counseling as part of responsive services.
- Responsive services are available through student self-referral, teacher referral, and/or parent referral.
- Small group counseling topics will vary throughout the year, but can include topics such as self-esteem, grief, and stress management.
**Interested in Small Group Counseling Services? See brochure below for more details.**
- System support describes services and management activities which indirectly benefit students.
- System support can include:
- Consultation with teachers
- Participation in campus-based school improvement plans
- Counselor staff development
- Community outreach
COLLEGE & CAREER CENTER
- The College & Career Center is a resource location designed to help our students and parents towards post-secondary success.
- Among many services offered at the College & Career Center, students and/or parents are able to:
- Receive information and/or register for the SAT or ACT
- Obtain current information about colleges, scholarships, military, & the workforce.
- Work on college and scholarship applications
- Participate in visits from various post-secondary programs (i.e. colleges, technical schools, military)
College & Career Center
Ms. Brandee Flores
Located in Room E104
Phone: (210) 397-2800
Remind: Text @brandeef to 81010
**Sign up for our Remind account to receive updates about scholarships, deadlines for applications, visiting colleges, and much more!**
San Antonio Education Partnership (SAEP)
- The San Antonio Education Partnership (SAEP) works closely with students to assist in the college application process and providing information on various scholarships in order to help students earn a college degree.
- A Success Advisor, Mozelle Moreno, is on campus from the SAEP who can assist students and parents on Thursdays in the College & Career Center (E104).
Café College is a resource available in downtown San Antonio at:
- 131 El Paso St. San Antonio, TX 78204
- Open Tuesday - Saturday
Café College can assist families with:
- College Admission Assistance
- Financial Aid Guidance
- Career Exploration
- College Applications
- SAT & SAT Preparation
Café College Events
- Online Scholarship Resources Brochure https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w6KZnJbasTUC1jUVVUWDlidzA/view
- September Calendar of Events https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w6KZnJbasTcjh5MldpTHhhRU0/view
- SAEP/Café College Scholarship https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w6KZnJbasTcjh5MldpTHhhhttp://cafecollege.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SAEP-Scholarship-Form.pdfRU0/view
- SAEP College Success Activities https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w6KZnJbasTcjh5MldpTHhhRU0/view
COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS
- Communities in Schools (CIS) can provide additional services to our students on campus in areas such as supportive guidance, academic assistance, help with basic needs, career awareness, enrichment activities, and parent and family engagement.
- You may reach CIS at (210) 397-2757 and they are located in room A121.