River Oaks Elementary School
School Counseling Program
Striving to meet the academic, personal/social and career needs of all students
RIVER OAKS SCHOOL COUNSELING HIGHLIGHTS
WE ARE HERE TO HELP ALL OF OUR STUDENTS SUCCEED IN SCHOOL
We design, implement and manage a developmental and comprehensive school counseling program at River Oaks Elementary benefitting ALL students. The program goal is to help students develop and improve competencies in academic achievement, personal/social development and career awareness.
1. Classroom Guidance Lessons: We deliver the classroom guidance portion of our program through the special area schedule. These lessons are aligned with the South Carolina and the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) standards. Classroom lessons focus on a variety of topics including academic success, bullying prevention, empathy/kindness, friendship/social skills, conflict resolution/problem solving strategies, personal safety, career awareness and study skills.
2. Group Counseling: We lead structured small group counseling on an as-needed basis. Small group topics include changing families, grief/loss, school success, self-esteem, girls group, anger management, newcomer's and friendship groups. We are also available to meet with students during lunch. Lunch Bunch is a time to connect with students in a smaller, less formal group setting. Lunch Bunch is designed to boost self-esteem, social skills and peer relations.
3. Individual Counseling: We provide immediate and short-term counseling with students one-on-one to discuss and work through any number of concerns. Students can see the counselor by filling out the "need to see the counselor" slip.
4. School-Wide Activities and Programs: A number of programs and activities are coordinated throughout the school year. Some activities include Red Ribbon Week, Bully Prevention Month, Helping Hand Food Drive, Angel Tree, College and Career Week, Career Day, The Great Kindness Challenge and Transition to Middle School. We also coordinate the CogAT Aptitude Test, STAR Test, SC READY State Test and SC PASS State Test.
5. We provide indirect services to students by consulting and collaborating with teachers, parents, administration, other educators and community organizations. We also provide resources and referral information to teachers and parents as needed.
Students research and present information about their favorite college
Students create presents using compliments
Students work together to accomplish a goal
CD students learn about feelings
Learning to Open Combination Locks
Fifth grade students practice opening locks in preparation for middle school
Students sign a pledge to be bully free
What is Comprehensive School Counseling?
Cassandra Beale serves students in grades CD, 1, 3 and 5
Shan Francis serves students in grades CD, K, 2 and 4