Plumbrook Parent News
August 30, 2021
Week at a Glance
Monday, August 30-
2nd-6th Grade Classroom Sneak Peek
Tuesday, August 31-First Day Back to School
K-6 Half Day 8:40 AM-Dismissal at 11:44 AM
Wednesday and Thursday, September 1 & 2
K-6 Full Days of School 8:40 AM-3:30 PM
Friday, September 3-No School
Monday, September 6-No School
Dear Plumbrook Families:
We are excited to begin and the countdown is on! I know there are a few families who did not get notification on who their teachers are. We have had some last-minute staffing changes and are finalizing teachers in the 1st, 5th, and 6th grades. If you did not get a teacher's name, the office will call you on Monday to let you know who your teacher is.
We have our 2nd -6th-grade sneak peek tonight! Some of our teachers may even be in their classrooms. Please follow the schedule below so we can try to keep socially distanced from others in the classroom.
On Tuesday, August 31, students may begin lining up outside their classroom doors starting at 8:30 AM. They will be let in the building at 8:40 AM and dismissed from their classroom at 11:44 since it is a half-day. We have a full day of school on Wednesday, September 1. Students will be dismissed at 3:30 on full days of school. I have added some maps of the building to assist you in finding your child's classroom.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to reach out to the office at any time.
We are looking forward to seeing you all very soon!
Mrs. Zawierucha (Pronounced Zav-Ya-Roo-Ha)
IMPORTANT FORMS for the Office
At the beginning of each year we ask our families to complete necessary paperwork for the school year. This year, most of those forms need to be completed on-line in Power School.
All Parents (VIRTUAL AND IN-PERSON) MUST COMPLETE the Mandatory Forms NO LATER THAN Thursday, September 9th , 2021 for their student(s)
The instructions on how to access Power School Forms through a browser are below and will be sent in paper form on the first day of school :
1. Log into Unified Classroom Parent Account (BROWSER ONLY – mobile app will not work) **Please note, If you are unsure of your password, please click on the "forgot password" and a link should be sent to the email address on file for you to reset it. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to access or reset your password from our office. **
2. Click on Forms
3. Under General Forms click on "Annual Update"
4. Complete any forms that require changes (Update Student Address, Update Legal Guardian, etc.)
5. If there were no changes, you still must complete the “Required to Complete Each Year” which confirms that all information is accurate.
6. Complete any additional forms below (e.g. Technology Agreements)
7. Submit the form
If you have another student, please repeat the process for them.
We will be sending home a paper copy of the directions on the first day of school. The document includes screenshots that we hope are helpful to you as you work through this process.
Your child will be excused from class for illness, bereavement, recognized religious holidays and medical or dental treatment that cannot be scheduled after school or on weekends.
Your child is responsible for makeup work.
Homework requests may be made for an absence of two or more days in the case of both excused and pre-excused absences.
Homework requests require 24 hours to process.
Absence for family travel during scheduled school days is discouraged.
However, should family travel be necessary, parents must submit a written request to the teacher for a pre-excused absence at least one week in advance.
Arrangements to complete classroom assignments can be made with the teacher.
You can arrange for home study through the school principal should your child be absent from school for an extended period due to physical disability or illness.
If a student arrives late to school, the parent must accompany the student into the office, and the student must be signed in before he or she can go to class.
Truancy officials will be contacted in the event of a student having excessive tardies or absences.
Policy on Personal Items
Policy On Personal Items
Any cell phones must be turned off and out of view during school hours or while on the bus OR IT WILL BE CONFISCATED and an adult must come up to school to pick it up.
Students should NOT bring toys, game boys, Nintendo DS or any hand-held electronic games, CD players, MP3 or IPods, PDA’s, memorabilia, special cards or other collectible or expensive items to school.
Plumbrook Elementary School is not responsible for personal items that are lost or damaged.
Such items will be collected and kept in the office. A parent must come and retrieve any items they wish to have returned.
Plumbrook Spirit Wear
2021-2022 Lunch Supervisors Needed
- FREE Breakfast will be available for our students who PRE-ORDER the day prior.
- Breakfast will be delivered to the classroom
- Teachers will establish the guidelines for the eating of breakfast that is similar to their snack procedures in the classroom
Students will have the opportunity to go out to recess. While at recess, students will remain with their classmates. Each class will be assigned to a zone of the playground where they can play during recess.
- Students will eat lunch in the gym/cafeteria with their classmates.
- Students will either wash their hands or use hand sanitizer prior to going into the gym for lunch
- Students will have assigned seats
- Students will use hand sanitizer as they leave their designated eating location and return to their classroom
- Students may bring a lunch from home to school if they wish, they do not have to eat the school lunch.
- All lunches are free of cost, you do not need to send money to school if your child would like to order a hot lunch for the day.
- Students must preorder lunch the day prior if they wish to have a "hot lunch". Menus can be found at https://uticak12.nutrislice.com/ or by clicking the link below. (Lunches will be prepackaged in a disposable container)
2021-2022 School Meal Program Information
Free and Reduced Lunch Information
Computers and iPads for the 2021-2022 School Year
- All new students (1st-6th grade) will be issued a device sometime in the first week of school.
- Kindergarten students will be getting their iPads toward the end of September.
- 2nd Graders will be turning in their iPads and getting a laptop.
- Any student with a damaged or older computer will be getting new devices. Plumbrook staff will assist with determining which computers will need to be replaced.
- Don't forget to read the information below regarding purchasing optional insurance. Families will be responsible for any damages to the iPads or laptops.
- Virtual Students who need a replacement device can come and pick one up on Monday, August 30 between 9-3:30 pm.
Call or email the office with any questions you may have.
2021-2022 Technology Device Responsibility, Damage Fee and Optional Insurance
Health and Safety Protocols
Face coverings will not be required but recommended for students and staff in our schools and work environments. The wearing of face coverings will be based on the choice of each family or individual. The Macomb County Health Department recommends that individuals, regardless of vaccination status, consider wearing a face covering when indoors, especially in crowded settings.
Contact Tracing in Combination with Isolation and Quarantine
In the event of a confirmed case of COVID-19, information will be shared with the school community. The communications will begin with direct contact to those who may have interacted with the individual and making our staff aware. After those communications are complete, a school-wide notice will be emailed to families. The district also works closely with the Macomb County Health Department, which follows its protocols for contacting individuals through contact tracing. It is important that we maintain privacy rights for individuals in our community who may have tested positive for COVID-19. Our district and school cannot provide information that would identify the person to the general public. Your understanding is appreciated.
Self-screening students before school is essential to the health and safety of the school community.
Before your child leaves in the morning, ask these two questions:
- In the last 24 hours, has your child developed any of the following symptoms that are new/different/worse from baseline of any chronic illness: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new loss of smell and new loss of taste?
- In the last 24 hours, has your child developed any of the following symptoms that are new/different/worse from baseline chronic illness: subjective fever (felt feverish) or measured temperature 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher chills or rigors (sever chills with shivering), headache, sore throat, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, runny nose or congestion and fatigue?
The answer should be no to both questions. If not, your child should remain at home for their protection and the health and safety of his/her classmates and the adults in your local school. Please call your school’s office to communicate this absence.
You may have already seen UCS bus drivers on the road reviewing routes for the reopening of school. Students are eligible for transportation service if their residence is 1.5 miles or farther from the school. Elementary students should not walk further than 0.5 mile to reach a bus stop and secondary students should not walk further than one mile. The district website will be updated with bussing information when available.
Medical Plan Information
Utica Community Schools are committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for each of our students. A health plan is required to be completed at the beginning of every school year. For your child's safety, we ask that all health forms are turned in prior to the first day of school, August 31st, 2021.
Health plans should be completed for any condition that may involve special dietary considerations, activity levels, medications, or treatment of urgent problems. Completion of health plans allows our staff to take the best possible care of your child.
A physician's signature is required on all health plans. Any medications that are to be distributed by school staff or used by students at school must have an Authorization for Medication completed and signed by a physician, including any over-the-counter medications.
Health Care Plans and Authorization for Medication forms are available at https://www.uticak12.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=578321&pageId=5042259. Two transportation forms are required for every student that rides the bus with a COLOR picture attached to each form. Depending on your child’s diagnosis, the following forms are required by the school:
· Food Allergies/Insect Allergies/Latex Allergies: FARE Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan, Michigan Department of Education Medical Statement to Request Special Meals and/or Accommodations, 2 Authorization for Medications (one for an anti-histamine and one for Epinephrine), 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
· MDE Dietary Accommodations: Required for Food Services for students with Food Allergies.
· Asthma: Asthma Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication for a rescue inhaler, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
· Seizure: Seizure Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication for rescue medications and/or other medications, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
· Diabetes: Diabetes Health Care Plan, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider) and you must submit your Diabetes Medical Management Plan from your Endocrinologist
· Heart Condition: Heart Condition Health Care Plan and 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider).
· Any other diagnosis: General Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication (if needed), 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
Please return all the necessary, completed and signed forms (dated after July 1, 2021) prior to August 31st, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your cooperation will help ensure a safe and healthy school year. Any questions can be directed to: Megan Holmes, BSN, RN email@example.com
Security at Plumbrook
We are asking for your assistance to ensure that our security procedures during the school day are effective. As many of you know, our school has a security camera, intercom, and buzzer at the front entrance for use during the school day. To help us assist you when you would like to enter the school:
1. Please press the buzzer to speak with someone in the office
2. You will be asked to state your name and reason for visiting
3. You will be asked to show your photo ID into the security camera above the outside door
4. Office staff will then be able to buzz you inside
5. All visitors must immediately register in the office
In addition, we are asking you to not let any visitors in the door as you enter (and they come up behind you) or as you exit the building.
The teachers and staff are committed to student safety and security and we would like to thank you for your assistance in helping keep the students of Plumbrook safe.
News From PEP (Plumbrook Elementary Parents)
PEP has many wonderful ideas for the Plumbrook Community for this year but could use your help. If you are interested in learning more, they will have tables set up for the Classroom Sneak Peek nights where you can learn more and sign up.
Also, PEP will be doing a Tissues & Tears event for the Kindergarten and First Grade parents on the first day of school. This is an outdoor event and a great opportunity to meet other Plumbrook Parents. Refreshments will be served. Meet the PEP outside of the north side of the building after the students enter the building.
Late Arrival/Early Dismissal
2021-2022 Important Dates
- First Day of School for Students: August 31/early dismissal
- Labor Day Break: September 3-6 (no school)
- Half Day: October 29
- Election Day: November 2, (no schoool for students)
- Conference Day: November 11, early dismissal for elementary
- Thanksgiving Break: November 24-26 (no school)
- Half Day(s): December 20 and 21
- Winter Break: December 22-December 31 (no school)
- MLK Jr. Holiday: January 17 (no school)
- MId-Winter Break: February 21-25 (no school)
- Half Day: April 1
- Spring Break: April 4-8 (no school)
- Good Friday: April 15 (no school)
- Memorial Weekend: May 27-30 (no school)
- June 9: Early dismissal
- June 10: Early dismissal; last day of school
Laura Kirsch-Administrative Assistant
Anna Kirschenheiter-Office Clerk
School Hours: 8:40 AM-3:30 PM
Half Day Hours: 8:40 AM-11:44 AM
Office Hours: 7:30 AM-4:00 PM