Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, Oct. 16 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack); Consent for Influenza forms due. October book orders due in.
- Wednesday, Oct. 21 - All Mom's Pantry fundraising forms due in.
- Thursday, Oct. 22 - Pizza Hut Fun Lunch for those who ordered; canteen closed
- Friday, Oct. 23 - SIP Day, no school for students all day (previously incorrect in agenda)
- Friday, Oct. 30 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack). Halloween celebrations. Aspen Grove Halloween Family Dance.
- Monday, Nov. 2 - All grade one students wear their Rainbow t-shirts to school
- Friday, Nov. 6 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack)
- Wednesday, Nov. 11 - Remembrance Day; no school for students and staff
- Friday, Nov. 13 -11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack)
- FCC FOOD DRIVE: Our school is proud to be a part of the 2015 Drive Away Hunger Campaign. We have about a week to collect food donations for this worthwhile cause. We have been given a number of paper bags for students to fill. Our collection will be housed in our courtyard area. The Drive Away Hunger Program with FCC will be here with their large Tractor on October 22nd for collection/pick up of the donated food items. Please contribute what you can, sending in items before Thursday, Oct. 22
- STAR HOMEWORK: Ever Friday Star Homework is collected and a new page will come home. Remember to sign your child's page at the end of the week before Mrs. Ralston collects it.
- THURSDAY'S LIBRARY BOOK: On Thursday your child will come home with another Buddy Book (leveled book) but this time from the library. This is just a second book at your child's reading level that they can practice reading to you. It is optional if you choose to record it in the agenda along side their regular classroom Buddy Book reading. On next week's Star Homework there will also be an additional star added on Thursday for reading this extra Buddy Book. You can tell the difference between the classroom and library Buddy Books as the library books have the "Aspen Grove School" bar-code on the front cover.
1) This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Baby Barnaby and Gresilda Green. Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters like the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent those sounds. Baby Barnaby (B, b, bb) and Gresilda Green (G, g, gg,).
2) Our new sight word of the week is "was". We have been dancing our hands whenever we see this word in our reading. This word can also be made into a flashcard to use with your star homework if you choose.
3) Read to Partner: The students have been working hard this week on their read to partner stamina. We read our Buddy Books to a partner every day in our classroom. We practice respectful reading and listening. Have your child teach you some of our read to someone expectations.