January 31, 2020
SCHOOL BOARD APPRECIATION WEEK (Jan. 27-31)
DISTRICT FACILITIES PLANNING
Cope Architecture recently completed a Facility Planning Study of the Maryville City Schools. The Study provides updated student capacity figures for each of our schools, enrollment projections for the next 15 years, and options for consideration once enrollment exceeds capacity in the not-too-distant future. New construction will likely not occur for another six or seven years. However, the School Board hopes to identify the preferred option by the end of this school year. That decision will pinpoint the areas in which we need to focus over the next few years, such as remodeling and land acquisition. The full report is available on our website at https://www.maryville-schools.org/school-board/facilities-planning.
We are collecting input from our faculty and staff over the weeks ahead and hope you, too, will review the options presented in the Study and offer your comments for our consideration in this process. In addition to the complete document created as part of the study, you will also find an input form for parents, guardians, and the community at the same site linked above.
Thank you in advance for participating in this review process that will inform how we respond to growth projections in Maryville over the next decade and beyond.
HEALTH RELATED NEWS
Since 1991, our school district has been blessed with the partnership of the Maryville City Schools Foundation. This grassroots effort continually offers new opportunities and helps support excellence in each of our schools. We always need partners who are as passionate as the foundation board about public education in our community. As we all know, the many grants awarded to our teachers and student programs throughout the year are only possible with funds raised from individual donors and company sponsorships. The biggest fundraiser and awards ceremony for the foundation is the Starlight Gala. Each winter we are ALL invited to take part in this event by purchasing tickets and celebrating education in a big way. Please consider this your invitation!
This year, the Gala will be held on February 29th, and tickets are now available for purchase online at www.maryvillecityschoolsfoundation.org, by emailing email@example.com, or by calling the Foundation office at ext. 11501. The Starlight Gala will be held at the newly renovated Airport Hilton beginning at 5:00 PM and will surely be one of the best events to date!
This year’s award recipients include Mark White (Distinguished Service), Benton Neil Taylor (Outstanding Young Alumni), Steve Chaddick (Distinguished Alumni), and John Clark, Vienna Coffee Company (Foundation Partnership Award).
In addition to purchasing a ticket and attending the Starlight Gala in February, you may wish to consider other options to show your support:
- Participate in the Gala Raffle and Auction https://starlight2020.ggo.bit (the silent auction will go LIVE on February 14th)
- Send a tax-deductible donation to the MCSF at THIS LINK or mail a check to MCSF, 402 Melrose Street, Maryville 37803
Hope to see you at the Starlight Gala!
CENSUS 2020 Workers Needed
The US Census is seeking workers during the 2020 summer break. If you missed the recent hiring events in Knoxville and Blount County for prospective census workers, you can still apply online at 2020census.gov/job.
WORKS OF ART!
Black history month
Schools and classrooms across the district and around the nation will include the many accomplishments of black Americans in their lessons throughout the month. For instance, at Maryville Jr. High School every student will delve into the life of Lt. Vernon Baker, the only black Medal of Honor recipient from WWII recognized while still living. If you would like to learn more about this remarkable American leader, below are a few links to follow:
CALENDAR of EVENTS
- Feb. 3 - 28 ONE BOOK BLITZ month
- Feb. 3 @ 6pm (MJHS) Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting
- Feb. 4 @ 6pm (MJHS) Rising 8th Grade Parent Meeting
- Feb. 5 @ 6pm (MHS) National Honor Society Induction
- Feb. 6-8 in Gatlinburg - ETSBOA Senior Clinic
- Feb. 6 @ 5:30pm (SHE) Winter Open House
- Feb. 7 @ 5:30pm (CGIS) 4th and 5th Grade Movie Night
- Feb. 10 @ 5:30pm (Maryville Academy) SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
- Feb. 13 @ 7pm (CLAYTON CENTER) MHS Orchestra Concert
- Feb. 14 @ 7am (CGIS) Drop-in Breakfast followed by Family Gathering at 7:45am
- Feb. 17 - HOLIDAY for students, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT day for staff
- Feb. 21 @ 6pm (JSE) PTO sponsored Movie Night
- Feb. 25 @ 7pm (CLAYTON CENTER) MHS/MJHS Band Festival
- Feb. 27 @ 7pm (MHS AUDITORIUM) MHS Chorus Concert
- Feb. 28 @ 7pm (EMBC) Spring Sing in the Smokies Choral Festival
In addition, there are band, orchestra, choral, and drama performances too many to mention. The link below will give you more specifics on our fine arts programming in December.
The same is true for sports - too many to mention. However, we hope you will come out and support your favorite teams. You will find more details on the athletics website, linked below.