Adventures in WONDERland
News of Inquiry, Reading & Collaboration @ the HMS LIBRARY
A school library with a sense of WONDER (curiosity and questioning) at its heart.....
• Summer Reading@the HMS Library
• The HMS Library by the Numbers in 2015-16
• The 4C Studio @ HMS (a YEF grant!)
• The (Mini) Maker Movement @ the HMS Library
• The HMS Library in Action
Summer Reading @ the HMS Library!
- Hosting OPEN LIBRARY TIMES, exclusively for HMS students -- from incoming fifth graders to our outgoing eighth graders. Read important guidelines here.
- Posting "Best Books @ HMS" lists. Each students voted for the top-favorite book of the school year! See the results on the HMS Library web site.
- Providing 24/7 access to our large eBook collection of over 400 exciting titles. To borrow, your child will need three things (in addition to a device):
- Access to the HMS Library web site which has the link to OverDrive (our eBook provider).
- A library card number, which is the student's HMS Library number (7 digits long; begins with the expected year of graduation).
- A PIN, which is the student's last name, all lower case (case-sensitive).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The HMS Library by the Numbers in 2015-16
Our Newest YEF Grant: 4C Studio @ HMS!
- Critical Thinking
This space will be completed over the summer so that students can begin using it in September! (Watch the YouTube video below for a sneak preview of the concept that is becoming reality.)
Thank you, YEF!
The (Mini) Maker Movement @ the HMS Library!
Sam demonstrates the car simulator he controls using the genius of Makey Makey (developed by graduate students at MIT).
Victoria crafts a pair of shoes she designed during Makerspace 2016. (Note the safety goggles and safety gloves!)
Elena is designing and developing a video game using Bloxels.
The HMS Library in Action!
Fifth graders made great use of the glass whiteboards to develop, analyze, and refine questions for the Explorer Unit.
Seventh grade students explored ways to evaluate websites to make sure that they always use reliable sources when doing research.
YHS Senior, Amanda Dettman, performs a poem for HMS students during the annual Poetry KaBaam.
"Fold Me a Poem" was the theme in April during Poetry Month. Origami snakes were created in abundance to make.......
... a Slither of Snakes!
Reading in style @ the HMS Library!
About the Harrison Middle School Library
Library Ed. Tech.: Tracy Weinrich
Hours in 2016-17: 7:50 - 3:15
(follow HMS Announcements for occasional after-school closures, as well as extended library times for special collaborative projects)