Miss Wegley's Class News
April 23, 2013
Students participated in a boat launch this week where they experimented with Balloon Boats, Rubber Band Boats, and Secret Potion Boats. See our site for a fun video of this exploration!
5th grade math will be continuing with coordinates this week in Unit 9.
5-4 will be starting the novel From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg this week. It is one of my personal favorites. Through this book, students will also explore details of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This book is also discussed in our new read aloud, Anything but Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin, another wonderful book. We have finished our previous read aloud of Ninth Ward.
During The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, we will be focusing heavily on vocabulary. Our pre-test will be out of 10 vocabulary words from that week's chapters.
- On Tuesday night, students will rewrite any words they missed 3 times each
- On Wednesday night, students will (in their book packets) write the part of speech/definition of each word using a dictionary
- On Thursday night, students will (in their book packets) use each word in a sentence
- On Friday, a post-test will be given where students spell the word and complete fill-in-the-blank sentences for each word.
We will be beginning Book 3 of WEX which focuses in-depth on creating characters.
- Please bring empty 2-Liter bottles for a science experiment by Thursday if possible!
- 5th Grade Musical Commitment Slips due Friday, 4/26
- Class Photos will be held on TUESDAY, April 30th now, so next Tuesday, students should wear their 5th grade shirts.
- 5th Grade Band Concert at Hersey - 5/6 @ 7:00 PM