Shaw & Associates Law Firm

"We Serve You Like No Other!"

Winning Or Losing Appeal!

Either party in a civil lawsuit can challenge the trial court's final judgment by filing an appeal.The winning party in the trial court might challenge the trial judgment and file an appeal if he or she thinks they were not awarded enough money. The losing party might challenge the judgment if they think there was not enough evidence to enter a judgment against them. If the trial court's judgment was in favor of the plaintiff (the person suing), the appellate court looks at whether the evidence, if believed, would convince the average person that the plaintiff proved his/her case by a preponderance of the evidence.The reviewing court can reverse the judgment when the verdict is so clearly unreasonable, given the evidence, that it is unjust.

We Provide Attorneys For Civil Court Cases!

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

To avoid the expense and delay of having a trial, judges encourage the litigants to try to reach an agreement resolving their dispute. In particular, the courts encourage the use of mediation, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution, or "ADR," designed to produce an early resolution of a dispute without the need for trial or other court proceedings. As a result, litigants often decide to resolve a civil lawsuit with an agreement known as a "settlement."