LHS Weekly Update
January 7 - January 12
Good Evening, Leonardtown Raiders!
PARENTS: Are you familiar with Juul's?
College and Career Center
There will be a Historically Black College & University (HBCU) fair on February 22nd. If you would like to attend please see Mrs. Hazlegrove in the career center.
The BECA Scholarship is now open for all seniors and is due on February 15th. The application and all instructions can be accessed at the following link.
Tech Expo for all 9th and 10th grade students attending SMCPS
The Dr. James A. Forrest Career & Technology Center will host its nineteenth annual Forrest Center Tech Expo, Thursday, January 17th between 5:30-8:00 p.m. at the Forrest Center directly across from the St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds in Leonardtown, Maryland.
The purpose of the Forrest Tech Center Expo is to familiarize students and parents with Career and Technology Education career options offered by the St. Mary’s County Public Schools. This is an opportunity to meet the staff at the Forrest Center and to learn about the 23 completer programs and the four elective courses currently offered. High school counselors will be available to answer questions about career clusters and to assist students in planning their academic program. The Forrest Center will provide a special presentation for parents to explain the registration process and how to incorporate Forrest Center programs into their student’s schedule.
For more details, contact the Dr. James A. Forrest Career & Technology Center at 301-475-0242. In the event of inclement weather, the alternate date for the Forrest Tech Center Expo will be Thursday, January 24th from 5:30-8:00.
The event may be recorded and presented on SMCPS Channel 96, the school system’s educational cable channel, and the internet.
Bank of America Student Leaders Program
- Bank of America is now accepting applications for their paid summer internship
- This is an 8 week paid internship at a local nonprofit through Bank of America
- The application is available to those in the 11th and 12th grades.
- There is also an opportunity to go to Finland over the summer through the Future Leaders Scholarship Program
- Your birth date must be between 08/09/2001 and 06/29/2003 in order to apply for the scholarship
- Please let Mrs. Hazlegrove know if you are interested in receiving more information or applying to either of these.
From the Counselor's Office...
Hard copy results from the PSAT, that was administered in October, will be given to all 10th and 11th graders on January 23rd. The ninth graders who took the 8/9 PSAT will be given their hard copies during Freshmen Academy in February.
SENIORS taking courses at College of Southern Maryland (CSM), your counselors need a copy of your spring registrations. After you register for your spring courses with Latasha Baker, please drop off a copy of the courses you will be taking to your counselor. We also need a copy of your transcript from the fall semester, once this semester comes to a close.
Want SAT Prep? Step 1: Go to satpractice.org, create an account on Khan Academy or sign into your existing account. Step 2: Link your accounts when prompted (Khan Academy and College Board). Step 3: Log in to your College Board account, and hit "Send" to get a personalized practice plan - and start practicing.
College & Scholarships. We know this is a busy and stressful time of year for seniors who are applying for college or post secondary schooling. Please come visit your counselor or Mrs. Hazelgrove in the Career Center for questions regarding college applications, available scholarships or the FASFA.
Throughout the year, Guidance will send announcements and updates via Remind. To join Remind for a specific grade level, text the following bolded message to 81010:
Class of 2019 (current Seniors)- @lhs2019g
Class of 2020 (current Juniors)- @lhs2020g
Class of 2021 (current Sophomores)- @lhs2021g
Class of 2022 (current Freshman- @lhs2022g
- Leonardtown High School will be administering the SAT to all 11th grade students this spring during the normal school day.
- The SAT will take place on Wednesday, March 27th during periods 1-5 at Leonardtown High School.
- There is no cost to students for this amazing opportunity and all 11th grade students are encouraged to participate.
- Please click here to review the SAT presentation to learn more about the free resources that students can use to prepare for this very important test.
- If you have questions about this specific SAT testing opportunity, please contact Mr. Graham Coombs - Assistant Principal.