Holmes Elementary School - Week Ending - 11/30/2018
Holmes School Presents - The Polar Express
Annual Dental Clinic December 5-7
Sign-up forms were sent home this week for the dental clinic. The clinic is brought to us by the Oak Park River Forest Infant Welfare Society Clinic. The clinic will provide FREE dental cleanings, screenings and sealants. Sealants are only for permanent teeth so this applies more to our older students. The clinic is open to ALL students.
This exam fulfills the requirement for K, 2 and 6th grade dental exams. 5th graders take care of this now.
Our annual Turkey Trot will take place on Tuesday, November 20th on the Holmes playground. Parents/guardians are more than welcome to stop by to cheer our students on.
The race times are as follows:
1:00-1:15 3rd Grade
1:20-1:35 5th Grade
1:40-1:55 4th Grade
2:00-2:15 1st Grade
2:40-2:55 2nd Grade
We still need 10 parent volunteers! If you are able to volunteer to help with the Turkey Trot, please click here.
Whistling Vilvadi - D97 Book Club
Have you ever been a part of a Twitter chat? I hadn't but I'm going to be joining this one.
D97 has started our "slow chat" conversation on Twitter about the district's book club selection, Whistling Vivaldi by Claude M. Steele. Please join us by following @d97bookclub on Twitter.
Dr. Kelley recently posted the following question:
Chapter 1, Question 1: Steele opens with the notion of “identity contingencies” and tells several stories about them. Describe a memory about an identity contingency that has affected you negatively. Can you recall a time when you benefited from an aspect of your identity?
Reactions to my questions or general comments about what you are reading can be posted by tagging @d97bookclub and using the hashtag #oakpark97.
Happy reading, everyone!!
Celebrate Holmes Staff
Families, have you noticed a Holmes teacher or staff member who deserves a compliment or a thank you? Has this person made a difference for your child? Please share the reason in a brief email to me (email@example.com) so that we may recognize and thank them!
IMPORTANT DATES/THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Turkey Trot - November 20
- Thanksgiving Break - November 21-23 - No School
- DINEOUT at Potbelly’s, December 3 from 5pm-8pm
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon - December 4 - 10:45-1:30
- On-site dental clinic - December 5-7
- Hawk Nest - December 5
- Report Card Distribution - December 7
- Link-to-Learning - December 12 - 8:00-9:45
- Polar Express Movie Night - December 14 - 6:00-8:30
- Winter Break December 24 - January 4
- Classes Resume - January 7
Community Hawk Nest
When: Monday, December 3; 5pm-8pm
Where: Potbelly 1100 W Lake St
Who: Anyone who wants to support the Holmes community
More information? See the following PDF
The PTO and Holmes School Needs You!
How Scrip Works: ShopWithScrip is a different kind of fundraiser—with the help of over 750 brands, it turns your everyday shopping into earnings for our Holmes School. By paying for your purchases with gift cards, also known as scrip, you’ll earn money for Holmes on your every day purchases (groceries, gas, dining out, home improvement projects, clothing, travel, and more). How? Every gift card has a rebate percentage on it, normally between 2% and 16%. That rebate goes directly to OUR SCHOOL.
Family Registration is easy
1) Log on to ShopWithScrip.com
2) Click "Join Program" Blue Button
3) Enter Holmes PTO Enrollment Code 6BL378C861333
4) Shop Away! You use the gift card (at its full value) on your everyday shopping. I.e. a $100 Old Navy Gift card purchased through the Holmes PTO ShopWithScrip program earns you $100 of Old Navy Merchandise AND Holmes School $14 cash. (Old Navy Rebate is 14%).
5) Gift Card Delivery
E-Cards delivered directly your email at the time of purchase. In order to keep shipping costs at a minimum, physical gift card orders will be placed the 1st Tuesday of each month and delivered to the Holmes School the following week.