Week of April 20th
The goal of life is not to have our lives mean something to ourselves. The goal of life is to have our lives mean something to others. - Simon Sinek
Our first Geocaching "Meet-Up" was a big success! We'll definitely plan another soon!
Earth Day @ Austin Elem
The Science Content Team also brainstormed several additional ways that we can celebrate. 3rd-5th, we know you may be limited in how you can celebrate given the STAAR test, but feel free to celebrate on Thursday! Here are a few of their ideas...
- Paper-Free Day
- Reduced Energy Day
- Create a PSA for parents or other learners
Tweet out your Earth Day activities with #AustinEarthDay
EOY MAP Testing
For K-2, the window can open a week early (beginning Monday). Please feel free to take advantage of a quiet testing environment (with 3-5 STAAR) and begin testing early.
Note - The Computer Lab will be unavailable Monday-Wednesday for STAAR. Any early MAP testing would need to be conducted on classroom devices or MacBooks.
STAAR - Active Monitoring
With our most recent round of testing, the district experienced a high level of irregularities. The vast majority were preventable and the result of learners not being actively monitored.
Whether or not you will be serving as a test administrator this week, I must ask the following... Please ensure that learners are actively monitored at all times during testing. This includes testing rooms, restrooms, hallways, Clinic, & cafeteria. Please speak with Brandon or me regarding any concerns or questions.
5th Grade Reading STAAR
Here are a few highlights...
- Overall passing percentage - 2014 = 86% / 2015 = 91%
- Overall advanced achievement - 2014 = 32% / 2015 = 37%
- African American - 2014 = 64% / 2015 = 82%
- Hispanic - 2014 = 79% / 2015 = 73%
- Eco. Dis. - 2014 = 77% / 2015 = 84%
- LEP - 2014 = 75% / 2015 = 78%
These results may not be shared with learners or parents until we receive the "okay" from the district. Learners that did not pass will retake the test in May.
Life Principle - Resiliency
Quote - "Consider the postage stamp: It secures success by sticking to one thing until it gets there." - Author Unknown
Healthy Tip - Try lots of different types of exercises. It doesn't matter if you are the best or the fastest, as long as you are having fun.
Week At A Glance...
- Today kicks of Secretary Week! Join me in celebrating Missie and Jenny!
- STAAR - 5th Grade Math
- Lunch provided
- K-2 may begin testing MAP
- STAAR - 3rd/4th Math
- Lunch Provided
- 3:30 - Varidesk delivery!
- Happy Birthday Jennifer!
- STAAR - 3rd/4th Reading / 5th Science
- Lunch Provided
- 3:30 - Information Literacy Course "Wrap-Up" - Library - 20-30 minutes
- Earth Day! #AustinEarthDay
- *Make-up STAAR*
- Brown Bag Lunch
- Happy Birthday Janie!
- Mustang Mutual
- E-Time / Clusters
- 2:30 - Girl Scout Ladybug Release for Earth Day (Garden)
- Educator Summative Self-Reflections due in Appraise
Sunday - Happy Birthday Patti!
- Monday, April 27th - MAP Window officially opens
- Tuesday, April 28th - Quick Team Leader Meeting - 3:30
- Wednesday, April 29th - Progress Report Grades Due
- Wednesday, April 29th - no after school meeting
- Thursday, April 30th - All Flex Hours due in Eduphoria
- Thursday, April 30th - 1st/2nd Showcase Setup
- Thursday, April 30th - 4th Grade Musical
- Friday, May 1 - Rise & Shine / ACES
- Friday, May 1 - 1st/2nd Grade Cluster Showcase