Get Help Now!
Warning Signs: Verbal
- "I want to die."
- "I don't want to live anymore."
- "I wish I were dead."
- "I won't have to put up with this much longer."
- "I just want to go to sleep and never wake up."
- "Nothing matters, who cares."
- "What's the use?"
- "I just want to kill myself."
- "I'm pointless and a failure."
Warning Signs: Non-Verbal
- Depression and hopelessness
- Lack of energy and zest for life
- Withdrawal from family, friends, and social activities
- Drop in grades or a poor student's new concern about grades
- Trouble concentrating
- Personality change
- Neglect of dramatic change or appearance
- Increased risk-taking
Looking for Help?
Places To Go:
- School Nurse
- A stable coach or teacher
- A parent
- A trusty friend
- Phone: 1 (800) 273-8255
- Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Website: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
How to Help:
Suicide can be prevented, and in almost all cases, the person is SCREAMING for help!
- Don't be afraid to approach victims.
- Show that you care!
- Get them professional help ASAP.
- Talk directly to them; show empathy and compassion.
- DO NOT AGREE TO KEEP IT A SECRET!!
How Suicide is Preventable:
- Educate yourself: Learn the warning signs and possible behaviors.
- Reach out to others: Let every person know that you're there for them.
- Let others know: Inform your friends and family about suicide.
- Show that you care: Most of the time, victims need someone; be there for them.
- Have a safe environment: Lock up firearms in your household and any dangerous objects.