Dog grooming supplies
self service dog wash
Keeping Your Dog Healthy and Happy
The typical life span of a dog is 13 years, although some live to be much longer. But many dogs end up with a shorter and challenging life because of common problems such as weight gain, poor exercise, and other lifestyle related issues. Although dogs can’t talk, they do communicate needs by their behavior, so a careful eye can often see something needs to be addressed before it becomes more serious. One of the ways to keep your dog healthy and happy is a regular grooming schedule. Whether you do the job yourself or leave it to professionals is up to you, but providing regular bathing, skin care, and coat management is essential.
Although each breed is different, and even each dog have their own unique needs, there are some specific things you can do to keep your dog physically and emotionally happy. Here are some things to keep in mind.
Help Your Dog Stay Happy and Healthy with These Tips
- Make sure that your dog’s sleeping place is comfortable, dry, clean and a quiet place to rest.
- Give your dog constant access to a safe hiding place to escape if afraid or anxious.
- Provide your dog with suitable objects to chew on and play with.
- If dogs live together, provide enough extra resources (e.g. toys, beds and hiding places) to discourage competition and fighting.
- Provide boundaries to prevent dogs from escaping or getting loose.
- Make continual access to clean drinking water available.
- Choose a balanced diet suitable for your dog’s age, lifestyle, and health status.Some human foods, such as chocolate and onions, can be poisonous to dogs. Furthermore, feeding table scraps to dogs can encourage obesity and unwelcome social habits.
- Watch for changes in your dog’s patterns that might indicate a health problem and consult a vet.
- A dog needs regular exercise and plenty of opportunities to walk and run.
- Dogs are social animals and most enjoy playing with toys, people and other dogs.
- Regular bathing, brushing, teeth and ear care can be done at home with just a little training or experience.
- Choose hair products and tools that are appropriate for your dog’s skin and coat.
- Consider professional grooming regularly for advice and expertise.
- Dog training is good for both the dog and the owner, increasing bonding, making the dog easier to control, and generally increasing the dog’s and owner’s quality of life.