WEEK OF AUGUST 22, 2022
Message from the Principal
Students & Parents,
Our staff had a great first week at GLOW and hope our students' first week was the same!
Above you can find a class picture of our first GLOW Senior Class, the Class of 2023! We are so proud of these students and excited to celebrate the many milestones of Senior Year with this special group of students.
This week's newsletters includes some Beginning of Year reminders, as well as information about Student Activities that are starting up at GLOW. We share information about extra curricular opportunities in our weekly newsletter to families, as well as in our daily announcements for students. We hope all students will find a way to be involved at GLOW outside of the regular school day. Be on the lookout for more information/announcements about opportunities that your child may be interested in pursuing this school year.
Also, thank you for your patience while one of our buses is in the shop. We had hoped to get it back on Friday, but it looks like it will be a few more days. Luckily, we are able to absorb the students from this bus on our other routes; however, drop off times may continue to be a bit delayed until we get that bus back in on the road. We will let you know when we are back to a full fleet of buses!
Wishing you all a great week ahead!
Kate B. Tayloe
✅ PARENT REMINDERS ✅
Click on this button to view to the 22-23 Student/Parent Handbook.
Beginning of Year Forms
If they haven't already, students will be bringing home Beginning of Year forms that need to be completed and returned to school this week. Please be on the lookout for these forms and get them back to us as soon as possible. All forms should be turned in to Leadership Advisory Teachers.
Once we receive 100% of our Beginning of Year Forms back, students will enjoy their first "Dress Down Day" of the year! (more information about dress down days will be sent to parents in advance)
🚍 BUS TRANSPORTATION
Bus Stop Locations and Times can be found in THIS FOLDER.
As a reminder, GLOW does not offer door-to-door transportation for students and our routes do not go into neighborhoods. Instead, we utilize community bus stops. Community stops reduces the length of our bus routes and prevent stops that occur prior to 6 AM and after 5:30 PM. These stops do not typically exceed 1 mile from the students residence.
Please keep in mind that it always takes the first week or so of school to smooth out our bus routes at the start of a new year. We appreciate your patience as we navigate the typical beginning of year speed bumps!
If you need to request Bus Transportation or have questions related to your child's bus stop, please contact our Transportation Coordinator, Kevin Whaley, at email@example.com.
📱 Cell Phone Policy
At GLOW, students may use cell phones before school, during lunch, and after school.
Cell phone use is prohibited in classrooms, restrooms, and school offices, unless otherwise directed by a teacher or administrator.
During the instructional day, cell phones must remain out of sight and in silent mode. If students are using cell phones during prohibited times they will be confiscated by school staff.
- 1st Offense: The cell phone will be secured by the teacher and returned at the end of the class period. The infraction will be recorded in our electronic behavior documentation system (ABE).
- 2nd Offense: The cell phone will be secured by the school and returned at the end of the school day. The student’s parents will be called to inform them of the infraction and that if the cell phone is confiscated again, it will be held at the school until a parent attends a parent-student conference regarding this repeated behavior.. This infraction will be recorded in ABE.
- 3rd Offense: The student will receive an office referral, and the cell phone will be secured by the school and only returned to the parent at a scheduled parent-student conference.
- 4th Offense: The student will receive an office referral and appropriate consequences up to and including out-of-school suspension.
CLASS OF 2023!
COVID Testing Available
Chromebook distribution has begun! Please be sure to your student has submitted a signed agreement along with the $20 damage waiver fee to their Leadership Advisory teacher.
You can find the GLOW Chromebook Agreement and Waiver HERE.
If you have additional Chromebook questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rising 7th & 12th Grade Required Immunizations
In North Carolina, children are not allowed to attend school (whether public, private, or religious) or a childcare facility, unless they have received all immunizations appropriate for their age.
While most of these immunizations occur before students enter Kindergarten there are two additional requirements that impact rising 7th and 12th grade students for the 2022-2023 school year.
RISING 7TH GRADE: Students entering 7th grade will be required to have one dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine and one dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine.
RISING 12TH GRADE: Students entering 12th grade will be required to have a booster (second) dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine if they have not already received one.
An up-to-date immunization record indicating that your student has received the required immunization is due by the first day of attendance at school. If proof of immunization is not provided within 30 calendar days after school entry, your student will not be allowed to attend school until it is provided, as required by law.
Immunization records can be dropped off at school or scanned/emailed to email@example.com.
GLOW's Uniform Requirements will be full enforced in the 22-23 school year. Students will be required to be in uniform compliance before arriving to class each day. While we know most of you have already ensured your child has the uniform pieces necessary to be in compliance with school expectations, the vendor link to order additional items can be found HERE.
PLEASE NOTE: Students will need a GLOW polo shirt for days that are designated as "Formal Uniform Days" (i.e. field trips, college visits, school picture day, etc.). Families will be notified in advance when polo shirts are required to be worn by students.
As a reminder, GLOW Uniform requirements are outlined below and can also be found HERE:
- GLOW yellow or purple uniform polo shirt only
- GLOW Spirit Shirts or GLOW shirt received from participation in a GLOW sponsored club/activity (ex/AVID)
- GLOW indoor uniform jackets
- GLOW navy uniform cardigan sweater
- GLOW uniform fleece
- plain navy cardigan sweater (no logos or labels allowed that aren’t GLOW)
- plain navy crew neck (no hood) sweatshirt (no logos or labels allowed that aren’t GLOW)
- Navy or black shorts or pants (khaki colored bottoms are allowed for high school students)
- GLOW navy or black uniform shorts or pants
- GLOW plaid uniform skirt
- GLOW gray uniform skirt
- NOTE: Bottoms may not be rolled
SOCKS & TIGHTS, LEGGINGS (W/SKIRTS):
- Students can show their individual personalities through their selection of socks, tights, and leggings; HOWEVER, leggings are only to be worn under the GLOW uniform skirt, NOT as pants and fishnet stockings are NOT allowed
- Hair Accessories: headbands, bows, ribbons, and head scarves
- Available GLOW Uniform Accessories: plaid headbands, bows, or ribbons
- Belts: solid colors (black, navy, or brown) or GLOW plaid uniform belt
- NOT ALLOWED: hats or bandanas
- Closed toed and closed heel shoes (no sandals)
- NOTE: if wearing CROCS, ensure that there is a strap in the back
- GLOW uniform jacket (may be worn indoors)
- personal outerwear (coats and jackets) of choice are only acceptable to wear outdoors.
- Gym shorts or sweatpants
- GLOW uniform gym shorts or sweatpants
- GLOW uniform t-shirt
- NOTE: shorts may not be rolled
✅ STUDENT ACTIVITIES ✅
Youth Community Choir
High school students interested in video games are invited to come to the Esports interest meeting, Tuesday 8/23 at 3:30pm. Esports gives students a chance to compete in popular video game competitions after school. Please see Mr. Mitro, Mr. Kirby, Mr. V, or Mr. Monroe for more information.
There will be a meeting for high school students interested in being part of Student Government for the 2022-2023 school. Please meet in Ms. Schnitzler's room, 602 in Lowe Hall, on Monday, August 22nd at 11:15 am. This will be a brief meeting to see how many students will be returning and how many new members we hopefully will have!