St. Viator Parish School
Viator Voice: August 19, 2019
Welcome to the 2019-20 Academic Year!
On behalf of our Pastor, faculty and staff, I welcome you to the 2019-20 school year! Once again, this year we are looking forward to a productive partnership to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our students need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in their education and we ask for your guidance and support by ensuring that he/she:
- Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience.
- Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
- Reads daily to develop a love of reading and to improve literacy skills
- Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of the daily school life.
- Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject as we are here to assist in many ways.
- Follow the campus arrival and dismissal procedures.
We are so blessed to have a Catholic community of parents, grandparents, and extended families who work together to enrich the educational experience of our students.
Mrs. Tracy Brunelle, Principal
Welcome PreKindergarten and Kindergarten to our Main Campus!
Shout out to our "rad" dad group! They successfully moved our PreKindergarten and Kindergarten to the main campus in June. We are genuinely excited to see these sweet faces every day! There is a fresh new circle for their weekly circle time. Our first PK circle time will be this Thursday and our K circle time will be this Friday.
PK & K Parents, you may stay at drop off in the cafeteria and join the students for their special presentation.
New Year, New Faces!
Mr. Ken, Maintenance
Technically, Mr. Ken is not a new face to St. Viator. He joined us in March and we wanted to officially welcome him to our new school year. He spent the summer getting our classrooms ready for our teachers and children. You'll see his handiwork around the campus.
Kirsten Hutchison, MICAH Aide
Ms. Hutchinson is a recent retiree from the Clark County School District She taught for thirteen years at Lois Craig Elementary School, in North Las Vegas. She is truly looking forward to meeting all of the staff and students at St. Viator School!
Johnny Smyth, Junior High Learning Support/MICAH
Mr. Smyth is not a new face to St. Viator. He was actually working for TECH company four years ago when we were updating our infrastructure to accommodate our Junior High IPAD program. While working on the project, he spent time in the office asking about the teaching profession. He left the TECH company and began the road to licensure in secondary education. He will be teaching the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teen curriculum and study skills to Junior High. In addition, he will be working with the three MICAH students and all who need learning support or challenge.
Alex Streuber, PK AideMs. Streuber joins us as a PK Aide this year. She recently moved back to Las Vegas from Reno this summer and is over the moon thrilled to be working at St. Viator. She is working on her Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education.
Officer Eli is Back!
All the classes are touring the campus becoming familiar with all that we offer!
A Perfect Equation for Academic Success!
Progress in Mathematics provides rigorous content focused on building deep conceptual understanding of key math skills and concepts at each grade level. With Progress in Mathematics you will:
- Provide students with the foundational skills needed to become proficient in math
- Use a consistent instructional approach, with stepped-out lessons, to help learners gain confidence and master skills
- Strengthen students’ comprehension levels with ample opportunities to implement the Standards for Mathematical Practice
CH-CH-CH Changes in Junior High!
There was a bit of shifting of classrooms during the summer in Junior High. Mr. Mertzman continues to teach Social Studies; but he is now the 8A homeroom teacher. Mrs. Woods moved up as the 6A Homeroom and Science teacher. She has her secondary degree; we just didn't have a space in Junior High before this year. Ms. Gafner has moved from Science to Math, which has always been her desire. She holds her endorsement in Mathematics allowing our 8th grade students the opportunity to earn high school credit for successful completion of Algebra I.
- Remind - All teachers, PK - 8, use a one way texting app to "remind" you of important upcoming classroom events.
- Rediker PlusPortals - Grades 3-8 - student progress and attendance information. Login information will be coming home soon.
- Shutterfly - Photo sharing app that was introduced last year. It is teacher specific this year. Please check with your teacher.
You should be receiving office text alerts and emails already. If you have not been receiving, please call the office at 702-732-4477 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last year, the Diocese officially moved the adult awareness program to CMGConnect from Virtus. If you try to log into Virtus.org, you will get an error message that the “organization is inactive”. Here is a link to the flyer from Ron Vallance, Safe Environment Coordinator to connect to the new CMGConnect program: https://www.stviatorschool.org/uploads/1/1/7/1/117157963/cmg_connect_volunteers.pdf
If you have taken Virtus classes within the last five years, you’ll be directed to sign in and change your password. Like me, if it’s been over 5 years, you’ll need to register for a new account and “start curriculum”. The training videos and subsequent questions take about an hour.
If you are a coach, please download and print your certificate for Mr. Wells. All others are being tracked on a database.
If the system indicates that you need fingerprints, we will provide a packet for you to take to get done quickly. You may pick one up in the office as well.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to focus on our campus security with all students entering the campus through the east school gate. Starting Monday, only students are allowed to walk through the east gate. Of course you are welcome to walk students to the classroom; however, in the interest of student safety, parents must check into the school office and obtain a visitor pass to enter the campus in the morning.
Junior High Dismissal at 2:35 pm
Junior High students are dismissed from the classrooms at 2:35 pm. In order to implement this smoothly, please be mindful:
- Because grades 1-5 classes are still in session, Junior High students will proceed through the gate closest to the church parking lot and meet you in the loop or lot. The gate will not be open to parents to enter until the grades 1-5 classes are dismissed at 2:45 pm.
- If Junior High students have a younger sibling, they may proceed to the youngest child's classroom and wait for the grades 1-5 dismissal, if you prefer.
- Any student attending an after-school sport or club will meet their coach or moderator at their classroom, gym or designated spot.
The loop closest to Eastern will continue to be dedicated to Junior High student pick up from 2:35 pm to 2:45 pm. Those desiring to exit Flamingo should park in the church lot to avoid delays due to the dismissal of the elementary students.
Under NO circumstance should any car make a left onto Eastern from the school campus. There is a no left hand turn sign as this is dangerous when we do not have construction present in our area. It is very concerning right now. In addition, please do not make a right onto Eastern and then make a u-turn in the school zone. This is illegal while children are present and school zone sign is lit.
If in the loop, please remain in your car. If your student is too little to get into the car by themselves, you should park in the church lot.
At 2:45 pm, both sides of the loop will be open for the elementary school.
- Prayer and Flag. Please sign into the office and join us in the gym.
- Orientation packets are due today
- All Specials and many clubs begin this week
Tuesday: August 20, 2019
- Picture Day! Dress Uniform required, shorts are acceptable
- Milk distribution begins today
Wednesday: August 21, 2019
- Liturgy, Grades 5-8 Full Dress Uniform
- PK through 5th Grade Curriculum Night, 5:45 in the gym for brief announcement and classrooms at 6 pm
Thursday: August 22, 2019
Friday, August 23, 2019
- PTO Back to School BBQ, 6 to 9 pm on the Main Campus. Please join us!