Bushy Bear Tales
Volume 12 - February 15, 2019
From Mrs. Ketterer:
We have enjoyed amazing experiences and events these past weeks! Thank you for supporting our special events and this week's Parent-Teacher Conferences. Hundreds of you were with us yesterday into the evening and more are scheduled for today!
These times bring us together within our classrooms, together as grade level teams or as an entire school! When you see the photos below, you can see the joy that is here in our Bushy Park school community!
- 18 SCHOOLS CLOSED-Presidents' Day
- 19 3rd Grade MAP Testing
- 20 2nd & 3rd & 5th Grade MAP Testing
- 21 5th Grade MAP Testing
- 21 2nd Grade Library Presentation @ 2:10 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
- 22 2nd & 5th Grade MAP Testing
- 25 5th Grade MAP Testing
- 4 Read Across America Day
- 6 3Q Interim Progress Reports Sent Home
- 7 Science Fair (During the Day / Evening @ 6:30 p.m. in the Cafeteria)
- 11-15 Kindergarten and New First Grader Registration Week
- 12 PTA Meeting @ 7:00 p.m. in the Media Center.
- 22 Spring Photos: Class Groups & Individual Pictures
- 25-29 Spring Book Fair
- 28 Kindergarten Field Trip to Glenwood Library @ 9:45-11:30 a.m.
- 28 PTA Ice Cream Social & Spring Book Fair
Spotlighting Classroom DOJO Students
The following students were recognized for February 15th. Congratulations to:
- Mrs. Bohn's Class- TBD
- Mrs. O'Leary's Class- Emily Griesler
- Mrs. Powell's Class- David Duvall
- Mrs. Wilson's Class- Audrey Camilli
- 1st GRADE
- Mrs. Bruner's Class- Irene Lee
- Mrs. Hintz' Class- Hudson Kerber
- Ms. Huyetts' Class- Nadia Mouchantaf
- Mrs. Lambros' Class- Brixton Kavakos
- Mrs. Payne's Class- Aurelia Berkowicz
- 2ND GRADE
- Mrs. Follmer's Class- Cole Libber
- Mrs. Hogan's Class- Manny Skarvelis
- Mrs. Keats' Class- Tyler Dua
- Mrs. Stumpfl's Class- Zander Jamison, Adedola Shodunke
- 3RD GRADE
- Ms. Griffin's Class- Robin O'Neill
- Ms. Hewitt's Class- Josh Werther
- Mrs. Hovis' Class- Lucian Derenick
- Mrs. Pickett's Class- Noelle Collins
- 4TH GRADE
- Ms. Lyter's Class- Nicole Marutyan
- Mrs. Perry's Class- Nicholas Le (Annelise Eslami from 2/1)
- Mrs. Richmond's Class- Gavin Smith
- Mr. Wilson's Class- Claire Schaefer
- 5TH GRADE
- Mrs. Cole's Class- Aaron Nester
- Ms. Landry's Class- Nathan Whatley
- Mrs. Little's Class- Siena Bammel
- Mrs. Stanton's Class- Mia Coleman
- Mrs. Yakscoe-Markle/Ms. Morstein's Class- Ernest Louro
Kindergarten & New First Grade Registration Starts March 11
A new online registration process will open on March 1 where much of the process can be done online. You should plan still plan to visit their assigned school during the week of March 11-15, 2019 to finalize your registration
You will need to bring the following documents:
- Birth certificate, birth registration or passport.
- Current immunization record - must be a print out from the pediatrician and signed.
- Deed or lease to your home
- Current utility bill
- Photo ID of parent/guardian registering the student
Please visit the Howard County Public School System website for complete information about enrollment and registration.
There is also great information on Getting Ready for Kindergarten to give you ideas!
Celebrating Second Grade Artists
For this year's HCPSS Second Grade Showcase, five of our second graders have their artwork on display at the Board of Education over the next few months February 5- April 11, 2019. The Gallery is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Mrs. Guertin and Mr. Van Meter are proud to share the students who have been recognized:
- Nathan Barrick
- Shaan Desai
- Allyssa Landry
- Isla Strickland
Bushy Park Participates in its 1st Annual GeoBee
This year, dozens of our students across participated in a G/T Instructional Seminar to prepare and compete in the National Geographic GeoBee. They gave up recess to research and practice for the in-school competition. Although the national contest begins in 4th grade, third graders participated at the school level to gain experience. Mrs. Jensen and Mrs. Murphy are so proud of their efforts!
The following students placed in our school competition:
- 1st Place- Sai Dudyala
- 2nd Place- Aidan Dehne
- 3rd Place- Max Beares, Annalise Eslami, Cayden Tran
THE SWEETHEART DANCE WAS AMAZING!
Thank you to our incredible organizer Randee Wilding, and his dedicated, creative committee, who offered: buffet snacks, a candy table, crafts, a photo booth and an awesome DJ. Mrs. Ketterer took photos of couples that the PTA are printing and sending home with families. Thanks to PTA President, Eileen Dietz, who was there throughout to support!
Sweetheart Dance Requests from Randee Wilding
Please take a moment to upload any Sweetheart Dance photos that you would like to share, especially those that may include the lobby and sponsor signage:
The photos uploaded are only viewable by me and our PTA President. We are working on getting prints home to your family.
BPES Welcomes Board of Education Member Vicky Cutroneo
It's YEARBOOK Time !!
Why is Absenteeism is of Greater Note?
In the new MARYLAND REPORT CARD, each school is now being held accountable for six performance indicators to ensure all schools are meeting the needs of all students.
These are shown below and more detailed information can be found at: reportcard.msde.maryland.gov/Graphs/#/ReportCards/ReportCardSchool/3/17/6/13/0406
What is Considered Chronic Absenteeism?
Schools are now being held accountable for "Chronic Absenteeism." In the new MD Report Card information, it is coded as School Quality and Student Success. School points are comprised of a school’s percentage of not chronically absent students, school survey results, and measures of access to a well-rounded curriculum.
A student is considered chronically absent when
- Their absentee rate is beyond 10%. This does include excused and unexcused absences.
- Absences that are local discretionary days are those for a purpose determined by a parent or guardian. In HCPSS, a student may lawfully miss no more than three (3) local discretionary days a year.
The school's obligation is to encourage good attendance and inform the student and family of the anticipated consequences of absence for personal or family business. The school encourages scheduling these activities at times that will note require absence from school.
Request for Indoor Recess Games
In your winter cleaning, If you come across board games or legos that are in need to a good home, please send them in. Since we have had many indoor recess days, we are looking to refresh game, puzzles and lego choices for the students.
THANK YOU for those who have already donated, the faces lit up when your donations were added to the supply!
Parent Volunteers Needed
The Carson Reading Room sign up is now available for January through March. We encourage you to sign up for consecutive times with different grade levels. Thank you for your support!