North Atlantic Right Whale
North Atlantic Right Whale Facts
- Scientific Name- Eubalaena glacialis
- Estimated Population- 350 to 400
- Habitat- Northern Atlantic Ocean
- Length- 45 to 55 feet
- Weight- Up to 70 tons
- Life Span- Accurately 50-70 years, but with pollution and people that bring harm to these whales, about 15 years.
- Favorite Food- Zoo-plankton and Krill
- Behavior- They are slow swimmers and they usually travel alone.
-No Dorsal Fin
Instead of a dorsal fin, right whales have broad, paddle-like flippers that don't make as much noise when catching prey and don't drain as much energy out of the whales.
The Right Whale uses its baleen plate to strain its prey.
-Usually Travels Solo
They travel solo because they spread around the ocean in different areas to find prey.
It helps them get food. They swim through a swarm of prey with its mouth open and its head partially above water. When the whale gets prey in its mouth it forces the water out of its mouth, dives, and swallows the prey.