FAC Weekly Update
April 6, 2023
Good Afternoon, FAC Family
We hope that you had a wonderful week! Our ELEVATE showcase was a rousing success - we sold out the Gunter Theatre, and our students gave 110% to the audience. We are grateful to all who attended and supported the event and look forward to doing it again next year.
Don't forget - the FAC Dance Studio takes the stage at the Gunter Theatre tonight (Thursday) at 7:00 p.m. Grab a ticket and prepare to be mesmerized by the outstanding student artists.
Here’s the latest from the halls of the FAC…
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
“If you understand others you are smart.
If you understand yourself you are illuminated.
If you overcome others you are powerful.
If you overcome yourself you have strength.
If you know how to be satisfied you are rich.
If you can act with vigor, you have a will.
If you don't lose your objectives you can be long-lasting."
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
ATTENTION FAC SENIORS
FAC Class of 2023 Website
The Fine Arts Center has assembled a website for our Senior Class with all of the information they need to complete their FAC career. Please bookmark the following site - https://sites.google.com/greenvilleschools.us/fac-class-of-2023/home. There is a to-do list at the top of the website with due dates. We appreciate our students completing these tasks early or on time!
Roy S. Fluhrer Scholarship - Due May 5
Dr. Roy S. Fluhrer served as the Director of Greenville County School District’s Fine Arts Center from 1989 to 2017. Upon his retirement, a scholarship in his name was established and will be awarded to a graduating Senior on an annual basis. This needs-based scholarship will be awarded to a student who demonstrate artistic excellence along with the intent to study the arts at the collegiate/university/conservatory level.
Interested students apply via this Google Form - https://forms.gle/JKzR1fyesh9Rj7fD7 - by Friday, May 5, 2023. A committee will review all applications and the winner will be announced at the Fine Arts Center Commencement on Wednesday, May 24, 2023.
All applications should include two letters of recommendation - one from a teacher and one from a community member who is familiar with your artistic growth and drive for excellence. Please either email or submit a hard copy of the letters to Mr. Popat by the May 5 deadline.
FAC Anti-Prom Interest Form
If you have not already done so, please complete the following survey by next Tuesday, April 11, so that we can plan accordingly for the FAC Anti-Prom. Please note the following:
- We will continue the tradition of holding Anti-Prom at the FAC
- Due to space restrictions, a limited number of tickets will be available.
- In order to give preference to our FAC students, outside guests will be accommodated only if space permits.
Thank you for your help with this.
Upcoming FAC Performances
FAC Dance Spring Concert - TONIGHT!
For tickets, go to https://www.peacecenter.org/events/detail/fac-spring-dance-2023.
FAC Jazz Concerts
For tickets, go to fine-arts-center.ticketleap.com/voice-scenes-2023--/
FAC Winds Chamber Music Concert - April 25, 2023
Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
Jazz All-Stars at Genevieve's - April 26, 2023
FAC Students Performing in the Community
The Addams Family - Woodmont High School
Don't miss FAC Theatre student Lauren Laxton perform in the Woodmont HS production of The Addams Family. The show runs from April 21-30. For tickets, please go to https://Showtix4u.com/event-details/72775.
Is your child performing in the Greenville community?
Scholarship Opportunities for FAC Seniors
Students may log on to https://www.schoolinks.com/ to access a comprehensive scholarship list. Click on “Finances” and “Scholarship Matching.”
J E Sirrine Scholarship: Students may apply for a $2,000 Sirrine Scholarship by visiting the Sirrine Scholarship Application website. Renewable for a maximum of three (3) years, provided the student maintains satisfactory progress toward the completion of his/her program of studies. Deadline: April 15, 2023
Duck Tape Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest - Over $20,000 in cash scholarships for high school students who make the best prom attire from Duck Brand Duct tape. Create an outfit and/or costume to be judged on originality, workmanship, use of colors, accessories and use of Duck Brand tape. 14 years and older are eligible. Details at www.stuckatprom.com March 29-June 7
- Wednesday, April 12 - Jazz Concert, AM Studios; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Thursday, April 13 - Jazz Concert, PM Studios; 6:30 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Thursday and Friday, April 20 and 21 - Voice Scenes; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; For tickets, go to https://fine-arts-center.ticketleap.com/voice-scenes-2023--/
- Monday, April 24 - Spring Theatre Presentations; 7:00 p.m., Black Box Theatre; Tickets are $5
- Tuesday, April 25 - Winds Chamber Music Concert; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Wednesday, April 26 - FAC Jazz All-Starts at Genevieve's; 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 27 - Strings Chamber Music Recital; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.
Location: 102 Pine Knoll Drive, Greenville, SC, USA
Phone: (864) 355-2550