RRHS Update - Week of May 10
In this edition: Thank You, Supporting Students, School Counseling, Math SOL News, This Week in Athletics, PTSO News, Yearbook, Senior News, Career Center News, Rising Freshmen - Class of 2025!
Supporting Our Students
Our counseling staff remain ready to support our students who may be struggling with family illness and loss during the global pandemic. We wish to share this article for those who may have suffered tragedy and loss.
Many students have asked what are the best ways to help the Covid Crisis occurring in India. Our counseling department wishes to share this link to some information on how you can help now - Click Here
9th grade Parent Coffee- Preparing for 9th grade and Beyond. If you missed it click here
Seniors it is still not too late to apply college !!!
University of Mary Washington just sent this!!! So take advantage of this opportunity!!
We are still awarding merit and need based aid to new admitted applicants if you have students who are arriving to this process late or do not yet have a home for fall. If you believe they are a good fit for a medium-sized liberal arts and sciences residential university that is perfectly situated between DC and Richmond, connect them with our counselors. We’ll take it from there.
Juniata College Still Accepting Applications as well!!! See the info from them below
We know that this year has been disrupted and delayed and we want to offer our support of students on their paths to college. We are still accepting applications and have scholarships and aid available for students looking for an in-person, residential experience this coming fall. Please reach out to our admission counselor with any questions. Reach out directly to the Vice President of Admission:
Vice President for Enrollment
MAY IS MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Virginia (NAMI Virginia) Each year millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental illness. During May, NAMI Virginia joins the national movement to raise awareness about mental health. Each year we fight stigma, provide support, educate the public and advocate for policies that support people with mental illness and their families. The past year has tested our resiliency and patience. For more resources on here in Virginia visit https://namivirginia.org/mental-health-awareness-month/
As part of Mental Health Awareness Month the PEER program has put together a “Health Relationships” presentation to be shown in an upcoming Advisory class this month. Parents you can check out the presentation here
Mindfulness Monday is a great way to start your week off on a positive note. Mindfulness has been shown to reduce stress, increase mental well-being and increase focus. Join our Schoology Group! Schoology Access Code: JBVT-SSV5-9TPTZ Google Meets nickname is located in Schoology.
Scheduling for the 2021-2022 School Year
If you have not met with your counselor to schedule next year please contact them directly.
Students Last Name
Math SOLs Monday May 10th!
Math SOLs are Monday, May 3rd!
Tests will begin at 9:15AM. Specific testing details and transportation was emailed to each tester on Friday, May 7th.
Students must bring an LCPS-issued device to access TestNav. Unfortunately, we do not have loaners. Students who do not bring a charged, working device, will be scheduled for a make-up test date.
ü Update Your Chromebook: (ahead of time!)
1. Turn on your Chromebook.
3. At the bottom right, select the time.
4. Select Settings .
5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
7. Select Check for updates.
8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.
ü Tips for your ACL Think Pad
· Be sure you don’t have any programs running in the background, this includes auto-save and backup!
· Restart your computer when you get to school on test day
ü Transportation Information
Buses will leave four hours after drop-off in the morning (about 1PM). Students who finish early may wait in the Auditorium and call their parents for a ride.
ü What to bring on test day
1. Chromebook/ ThinkPad
5. water bottle (for under your seat)
Once you enter the building, please immediately go to your testing room, and restart your testing device on the Wi-Fi. Remember to wear layers, as the temperature in our building can vary.
This Week in Athletics!
- Boys Soccer vs Potomac Falls; JV starting at 6:00pm, Varsity starting at 7:15pm
- Girls Soccer @ Potomac Falls; JV starting at 6:00pm, Varsity starting at 7:15pm JV Bus Depart @5:00 Varsity Bus Depart @5:45
- Boys Tennis vs Freedom starting at 5:00pm
- Girls Tennis @ Freedom starting at 5:00pm Bus Depart @3:15
- Varsity Girls Lacrosse @ Potomac Falls starting at 6:30pm Bus Depart @5:30
- Varsity Boys Lacrosse vs Potomac Falls starting at 6:30pm
- JV Softball @ Freedom starting at 6:00pm Early Release 3:15 p.m. Bus Depart @4:00
- Varsity Baseball vs Freedom starting at 6:00pm
- Track vs Woodgrove, Briar Woods and Riverside Starting at 3:00pm
- Boys Tennis vs Stone Bridge starting at 5:00pm
- Girls Tennis @ Stone Bridge starting at 5:00pm Early Release 1:45 Bus Depart @2:00
- Boys Tennis vs Stone Bridge starting at 5:00pm
- Girls Tennis @ Stone Bridge starting at 5:00pm Bus Depart @3:15
- JV Softball vs Stone Bridge starting at 6:00pm
- Varsity Baseball vs Stone Bridge starting at 6:00pm
ADD TO YOUR CALENDAR:
- NEXT Spirit Night: @Scotto's: Tomorrow, May 10th - ALL Day (See attached for more details)
- Parent Social: Wednesday 5/19 @7-9 PM, RRHS Cafeteria – We’re excited to finally welcome parents into the school! We’ve all felt isolated too. Come meet others, build community, & learn how you can get involved and make a positive impact! Space is limited. RSVP here.
- Next PTSO Meeting: Please join us Thursday, June 3rd @ 7PM. Invite: Here
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Many hands makes light work! WE NEED YOU!
- Critical need NOW to fill: President, Treasurer, Secretary & several committee roles for next year as elections will be held at our next, June 3rd meeting. If you are willing to help in ANY way, please email email@example.com or come to our PTSO Parent Social on May 19th to learn more.
- Senior Grad Night Celebration Event: 6/17, need 15-20 volunteers for various shifts 7pm-1am. Sign Up Here
OUR PTSO welcomes ALL Parents to get involved! BE A ROCK of support for our children and school!
Get Your Yearbook!
BUY YOUR YEARBOOK NOW WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!
There are FEWER THAN 70 books left! Check here to see if you have ordered one. If your name is not on the list, buy yours while you still can! Don’t miss this opportunity to preserve the memories from this unprecedented year. Buy your award winning yearbook now! Go to www.yearbookordercenter.com with code #17309 to buy yours now while you still can! The price will increase to $85 once the yearbooks arrive in ONE WEEK.
You are required to complete the Senior Survey in Naviance prior to graduation. The deadline to complete it is June 1st. Attached is a cheat sheet to walk you through accessing the survey and completing the survey. Please contact Ms. Barnes with any questions.
Career Center News!
UPCOMING RRHS VIRTUAL EVENTS:
5/10: Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising at 11:30 AM. Sign up via Naviance.
OTHER UPCOMING VIRTUAL EVENTS:
5/10: Amazon warehouse and Whole Foods backend conversation with HR at 2:30 PM. See attached flyer for more info. Sign up via Naviance.
5/17 & 5/18: Southern Tour for DMV students – hear from all the SEC admission reps in one hour. It’s a great way to quickly hear the highlights from each school. See attached for more info and to sign up.
5/25: Northeast Public Universities at a Glance at 6:00 PM – Register here.
Stony Brook University
University of Connecticut
University of Delaware
University of Maryland
University of Pittsburgh
NEWS YOU CAN USE:
Seniors – The Senior Survey is now open. All Seniors must complete this survey regardless of their post Rock Ridge plans. Please log in to Naviance via LCPSGo and select About Me, My Surveys, Surveys Not Started and complete the RRHS 2021 Senior Survey. A cheat sheet is attached here to help complete it. The survey must be completed by June 1st.
Underclassmen, The International Society of Computational Biology is hosting Youth Bioinformatics Symposium on May 23rd. This is a virtual event. You can register and learn more here.
Underclassmen and Parents, another way to learn about events or an actual reminder for an upcoming event of interest to you is through texts via Remind. I try very hard not to spam you! To sign up for Remind go to remind.com and create an account. Then search for the appropriate class as indicated below:
Juniors: @theroc22 (the missing K is not a typo)
With the PTSO, we are offering one more practice test this year. It will be June 5th at 9:00 AM. It will be a virtual test and the cost is $20. This is a good opportunity for juniors and sophomores to get a sense of where they stand with the test without a lot of cost. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to our PTSO. You can register here.
Revolution Prep also offers small group and 1-1 tutoring online. If you sign up this month you will get $200 off and once again, the RRHS PTSO will benefit. See attached flyer.
Looking for more in person offerings? Our award winning PTSO partner Turbo Tutoring is offering several prep options coming up! Turbo Tutoring offers private, 1-on-1 private prep classes for both the ACT and the SAT as well. Our PTSO gets a percentage back for each RRHS student who attends! Check out their prep class date options here.
Looking for a Summer or part time job? Our multi high school job site is updated weekly with new jobs.
Note, some of these have direct links to the application/organization, but you can also find them and others on Naviance. Some scholarships require an official transcript. To request one, please fill out this form.
To find scholarships on Naviance click on Colleges, the last link in the drop down is Scholarships & Money. Select Scholarship List. Then search LCPS or RRHS to find the scholarships below and others.
5/14: Friends of Brambleton Library – More info on Naviance
5/15: NEW - The Trotter Project
5/31: Faith Scholarships
5/31: NEW - Cyber Bullying Awareness Scholarship
2021 Southern Tour.pdf
Rockridge GC Rev Prep.pdf
Amazon Hiring Flyer.pdf
Middle School/High School Transition Presentation!
Do you have questions about the transition from Middle School to High School?
Check out this presentation!
Rock Ridge High School looks forward to meeting our rising freshmen in the near future. In the meantime, learn about the transition process and submit your follow-up questions at the end of the presentation. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Rock Ridge High School