West Elementary School
January 10, 2023
New Visitor Protocol (effective January 11, 2023)
The safety of our students and staff remains a top priority for District 47. As a result of a safety audit done by an outside consultant in August, District 47 is implementing an additional safety measure related to visitor management effective immediately. All visitors and volunteers (including those who’ve had their ID scanned in Raptor) will be required to bring their drivers license or state ID when visiting a school building. In addition, individuals will be required to leave their ID with the main office in exchange for a visitor lanyard. When leaving the building, visitors must return to the main office to drop off their lanyard and pick up their ID. This added layer of security ensures that visitor lanyards are kept in the building and do not get circulated in the community and also ensures everyone in the building is accounted for in the case of an emergency. Should you have any questions or concerns about this additional security measure, please contact Gary Snep, Director of School Safety, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for helping to keep our schools safe!
2023-2024 Online Kindergarten Registration
District 47 online kindergarten registration for the 2023-24 school year will begin February 6, 2023. At that time, families can register their incoming kindergartener by completing the steps on the District 47 website at www.d47.org/kindergarten. Early registration helps with adequate staffing, home school placement, and appropriate class size. See below for additional information.
A child must turn 5 years old on or before September 1, 2023 to be eligible for kindergarten. Information about early entrance to kindergarten is posted on the D47 website.
Families interested in District 47’s dual language program for their incoming kindergartener MUST attend an informational meeting in February 2023 if they do not already have a sibling enrolled in the program. Meetings will be held in-person and via Zoom on 2/2 at 9:15 a.m.; 2/7 at 5:30 p.m.; and 2/15 at 6 p.m. For more information, visit the D47 website at www.d47.org/duallanguage.
Current Wehde students eligible for kindergarten will follow a separate process for kindergarten registration and will receive an email the second week of January.
Fees and student physical/immunization forms are not due at the time of registration.
Virtual Parenting Series with Jackie Rhew
All District 47 families are invited to attend the second of a four-part virtual parenting series with Jackie Rhew on Thursday, January 19, 2023 @ 7pm via Zoom. Rhew is a clinical consultant, author/speaker, and co-founder of the Center for Emotional Wellness in Crystal Lake and Arlington Heights. In this presentation, Rhew will discuss strategies for providing critical social and emotional support for children and teens, including how to build their self-confidence and empathy for others. Parents will learn how to help their child(ren) manage their feelings, problem solve, and engage in their education. She’ll also cover key strategies for parents to help foster engagement, model healthy coping skills and develop a deeper connection with their child. Translation will be available in multiple languages via captioning in Zoom. See below for a link to join the meeting and to enable captions for language translation. January 2023 Virtual Parenting Flyer
Join the meeting via Zoom at:
Winter Kits for at School
Since we still have outdoor recess when it's snowing out, please consider creating a "Winter Kit" for your child to keep in their locker. Suggested items include spare clothes (pants, shirt, socks, underwear, mittens), chapstick and a small bottle of lotion. Your child's name should be written on the bag. This will eliminate the need for calls home and will help keep students dry once the wet winter weather begins!
Winter FastBridge Testing
Winter Fastbridge testing is underway. The window is open until February 20th. Testing should wrap up this week with the exception of any students that need to make assessments up due to absences. District 47 students take FastBridge assessments in reading and math three times a year -- fall, winter and spring. FastBridge assessments help determine a child’s instructional level and measure growth over time. Such determinations are made by individual school teams. More information about FastBridge assessments can be found at https://www.illuminateed.com/products/fastbridge/. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact your child’s teacher or Aimee Kasper, assistant superintendent of curriculum, instruction and assessment, at email@example.com.
Winter Guidelines for Outside Student Activities
During the cold winter weather, be sure that your child comes to school with appropriate winter coats, hats, gloves, etc. Students go outside daily for lunch recess and need to be dressed for the weather. The guidelines established by District 47 during cold weather are as follows:
Temperature/Wind Chill - Maximum Time Outside
- 15 degrees or warmer - Unlimited
- 0 to 15 degrees - 20 minutes
- Below 0 degrees - Students remain indoors
Winter Weather Reminder
We encourage families to consider the impact of a school closure due to inclement weather. It is our goal to keep schools open when possible to ensure we meet the needs of all students and, most importantly, to avoid a disruption to teaching and learning. Please note: There will be no remote learning if school is closed due to weather conditions. Instead, the day would be made up at the end of the year in one of the five scheduled emergency days on the school calendar. If the decision is made to close school, families will be notified via phone call, text and email before 5 a.m. the day of the closing. The announcement will also be posted on the district’s website and social media channels. No communication means school will remain open. Please be sure to keep your contact information and emergency contacts up-to-date in ParentVue. Should you have changes, please contact the school.
Order Your 2022-23 West Yearbook!
Yearbooks start at just $19.50 and all orders must be placed online. The books will be sent right to your home, so please make sure your home address is complete and correct when ordering. Click here to order your yearbook now!
Elevate Staff Recognition Program
District 47's Elevate program recognizes District 47 employees who uphold and exemplify the district’s mission, vision and core values and who are making a difference in the lives of our students, schools and community. Any District 47 staff member is eligible for recognition and anyone (students, staff, parents and community members) can submit a nomination. Visit the D47 website at www.d47.org/elevate to learn more!
IMPORTANT: Parents, if you have not logged into ParentVue this year or have forgotten your password, please try to log in to ensure you have access. If you have forgotten your password, click the Forgot Password button. You may also contact the school main office or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- 1/10 - WPO Meeting at 7 PM tonight: Please join the WPO (West Parent Organization) for our first meeting of 2023. We will discuss our upcoming Spring events, and ways to get involved in the new year. The meeting is in the West LMC. Childcare is provided, and we raffle-off prizes.
- 1/12 - Book Mobile-Book Drive: Time to clean off your bookshelves for a fresh start this month! The WPO needs newer, gently used, books that are age appropriate for our Book Mobile. Books can be dropped off at West this Thursday in a bin outside of the entrance, or during Family Library Night after school from 6:30-7:30.
- 1/17 - Noodles & Company Fundraiser: Enjoy dinner out at Noodles and Company in Crystal Lake from 4-8 pm. 25% of the sales will go to the WPO. Click here for the flyer.
- 2/14 - Valentine Class Parties: Please consider volunteering for the last class party of the year! Many classes are in need of one or more volunteers. (Please note: If you see the "Party Planner" slot is available, the other volunteers can assist with all planning.) Room Parties: Valentine Party Volunteers (signupgenius.com)
- 3/4- West Family Fun Fair: The WPO is excited to bring back the Fun Fair. The event is made for the whole family to enjoy, and includes games, activities, food & drink, and raffles. We are looking for committee heads for every part of the fun! If you are interested in helping with a committee, contact Jessica Feinberg, Fun Fair Chair, at email@example.com.
- 4th/5th Grade Dance & 5th Grade Celebration Committees: Volunteers are needed for the 4th/5th Grade Dance (April) and 5th Grade end-of-year celebrations (May). If you are interested in helping with these events, please contact Erin Stebleton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like Us, Follow Us, Join Us!
Want to stay in the know? Be sure to join us on:
- Facebook: West Elementary Parents Group