By: Jake Gregson
- Born april 6, 1483 in Urbino italy.
- Spent most of his life in Urbino, Siena, Florence and Rome.
- He studied in Perusia, Sienna, and Florence with the masters of those cities.
- Raphael spent alot of his time painting for the very wealthy and studying.
- His patrons were julius and Pope leo x.
- His work reflected secularism because it always showed heavenly beings away from symbols of government.
- Some of his most famous paintings were; Madonna of the Goldfinch, Sistine Madonna, The Holy Family under the Oak Tree which is also called the Pearl Madonna, and the Galatea.
"The Virgin and Child Blessing with Saints Jerome and Francis"
- This piece is called the "The Virgin and Child Blessing with Saints Jerome and Francis"
- It was painted by Raphael in 1502
- It can be seen at the Berlin State Museum in Germany
- In This piece he virgin Mary is holding the baby Jesus as Saint Francis and Jerome watch over them
- I think this piece is so interesting because the detail, coloring and perspective are very original and it must've been very hard to create.
- This piece used a newer technique of shading and coloring which made it significant in the renaissance.
- I think this piece is linked to humanism because he painted the people in it with seemingly perfect features.
Creator : Raphael
Title : Virgin and Child Blessing with Saints Jerome and Francis (Madonna of St. Jerome) [Maria mit dem segnenden Kind und Heiligen Hieronymus und Franziskus]
Date : ca. 1502
Repository : Gemäldegalerie, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
Repository : http://www.smb.museum/smb/home/index.php?lang=de
ARTstor : BERLIN_DB_10313749444
URL : http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?id=8zZXajAhOy81MUA7eD94QHokUnkr
"Raphael." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2013. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.
"Self-Portrait." Image. Library of Congress. World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2013. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.