August 2014 Edition
Welcome to 2014-15!
Good times are ahead!
District E-Mail Passwords
The information below was sent via e-mail on 8/5 from the Department of Technology. If you weren't on your e-mail before that, you may need this to successfully change your password.
Password Requirements - Passwords must be a combination of at least three of the following four categories:
- a capital letter
- a lowercase letter
- a number and/or a special character
- be a minimum of eight (8) characters
P@ssw0rd --capital P, lowercase letters, @ symbol and a 0 (zero) were used.
An easy way to make more complex passwords is to take a common phrase and change some characters into numbers and symbols.
ChicagoBears could be Ch1cagobe@rs – There is a mix of capital letters and lowercase letters, the letter “I” in Chicago was replaced with the number “1” and the letter “a” in bears was replaced with the “@” symbol. This would satisfy the complexity requirement needed.
- Please take down any tattered signs or art in your area.
- We do not have regular custodial hours yet; our crew has been pulled to other buildings. Please be sure you are signed in and that you enter and exit through Door #19 if you have any doubt people are at school. We'll notify you when regular custodial hours resume.
- Please be sure any unwanted furniture/items you have in the hallway is clearly labeled "Please remove", "Not needed", or something similar.
- Projectors will be installed in the reading room, both ELL rooms, and the music room.
- Do not place unwanted items in the staff center. See the Lowell Classifieds link below if you have items to share or items you are seeking.
- If you maintain a bulletin board in the hallway, please ensure it is tidy. We can gradually supply fabric; if you'd like that for a board you maintain, please let me know. Please repair ripped borders or remove unneeded staples. We want everyone to feel good about spending time in our school, and we can further that through our care and attention to detail.
- You'll also notice hallway art/frames/signs coming down; we'll be working with a group of parents to take and print enlarged photographs.
- We are working on securing new exterior door mats.
- The Beautification crew will be replanting our front door planters at the start of school. We'll also have a Beautification Fall Clean-Up Day after school in addition to our spring Beautification day.
- I will be walking the grounds with our new facilities director at the start of the week.
Please review the Memo to stay current on building parent communication!
You need to be logged in to your district Google account to view; if you are logged into your personal account, you won't have permission. Remember, after changing your password you'll use that same e-mail password for your Google account. Enter your e-mail address rather than your A0# when logging into Google.
Want a paper calendar/planner? They are available on the main office counter. Stop & take one starting Monday!
Lowell Staffing 2014-15 (As of 8/8/14)
Currently Posted Positions
- Teacher Aide (1)
- Lunch/Recess Subs
New to the Nest
- Christine Fitzgerald, Psychologist
- Betsy Pond, Grade 3
- Jen Ross, Grade 2
- Celeste Sorenson, Social Work
- Melissa Vesta, Kindergarten
- Kelly Woods, Grade 3
- Sage Youngstedt, Resource (Lowell a.m./ Whittier p.m.)
- Stefanie Youngberg, Aide
- Jill Goetz, Speech (0.25; T. Diedrich's class)
Changes in the Nest
- Renee Kuta from Kindergarten to 1st Grade
- Melissa Chiappini from Grade 3 to ELL
- Kristine Morozink w/Brooke Thurston (Fall 2014)
- Rachel Jobe w/Denise Uthe (Fall 2014)
- Kari LaPointe w/Mary Carlson (Spring 2015)
Leaving the Nest
- Amy King (to Madison Instructional Kindergarten)
- Tracie Sklenicka (to Lincoln)
- Amy Meron
- Dana de la Vega
- Lee Raezler
- Mary Ann Stevenson
- Beth White
Taking Leave from the Nest for 2014-15
- Meg Zaino
- Elizabeth Tanglis
See the Memo for bios on our new teachers!
Please consider writing a post for our blog!!
Upcoming Lowell Events
- Teacher Assignments available on ParentVUE: Friday, August 15th after 4 p.m. You should not contact your families prior to this time. Any letters home should not be postmarked before August 15th. Cathy will print lists with addresses for you early next week.
- Teacher Institute Day: Tuesday, August 19; 8:30-3:30. The building will be closed to parent/student tours during Institute hours. If you schedule any meetings with parents, please do so outside of those hours. We'll start in the LLC together for them morning. The afternoon will be articulation based on student-needs. Attire: Casual
- Teacher Work Day: Wednesday, August 20: Any 7 1/2 hours between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Please see below about Back-to-School Social. The building will be closed to parent/student tours during work day hours until 4 p.m. At that time there will be a formal tour prior to Back to School Social. If you need to schedule a parent meeting that day, please notify the office and come to the office to greet the parents and walk them down. I want you to be able to work free of interruption, but I understand you need to meet. Attire: Casual
- Back to School Social: Wednesday, August 20; 4:30-6 p.m. You are encouraged to put out conference sign-ups and any volunteer sign-ups at this time. Classroom teachers will be in their classrooms this night, and students are welcomed to bring supplies. Specials teachers/specialists should spread out to help direct families or congregate in the common area. Attire: Spirit wear or school colors welcomed
- First Day of School/ Grades 1-5: Thursday, August 21; Specials will start Day 1. We will also have a brief assembly at 10 a.m. in the gym/multi-purpose room.
- First Day of Kindergarten: Friday, August 22
- Curriculum Night: Thursday, September 4; 6:30-8 p.m. Teachers will be present for the whole evening to offer more than one session to parents. More details to follow.
- Beautification Fall Clean-Up: Friday, September 12
- Picture Day: Tuesday, September 23
- Runathon Fundraiser: Thursday, September 25
- Parent-Teacher Conference Dates: Tuesday, October 14th & Thursday, October 16th from 4-8 p.m. are the school-wide dates; per the contract, you are to schedule a third 4-hour block at your discretion. You may put out conference sign-ups at Back to School Social. The office will collect a conference schedule from each teacher prior to the conference dates.
Please dispose of any classroom allergy signs that were not part of an allergy packet from Chris this year. All wording should be 'safe' not 'free' (ex. peanut safe, not peanut free).
Professional Learning Meeting Calendar
Look for more information via links below in the coming weeks:
- Instructional Team
- Tech Team
- Foundations Team
- Aid meetings
- Lunch & Learns (optional)
Water Club from Cathy
Lowell iPad Summer Exploration
The Eagle's Nest
Lowell Guidelines for Success
The Lowell Community Takes FLIGHT
Focus on Success
Love to Learn
Honor Hard Work
- Think it Through