6 Things you need to know and can share with others.
August 31, 2018
1. Quality Science & Mathematics Grant Program (QSM)- $1000
The Quality Science and Mathematics Competitive Grant Application for K-12 Regular Education Teachers in Louisiana Public Schools is now OPEN!
Looking for a way to purchase classroom math and science materials? The answer might be waiting for you through the Quality Math and Science Grant Program. Proposal submissions will be accepted soon. You are eligible to submit an application for up to $1,000 (up $250 from previous years) to purchase non-consumable science or math instructional materials if you are a K-12 regular education mathematics or science teacher working in a Louisiana public school.
- Info Sheet: https://bit.ly/2NZc9Tq
- Deadline: September 28, 2018
2. LDOE's Science Assessment Guidance Documents Released
The 3-8 and biology assessment guidance documents are designed to assist Louisiana educators in understanding the new LEAP 2025 Science assessment which will be administered for the first time spring 2019.
All students in grades 3-8 and 10 will take the LEAP 2025 Science assessments, which provide
- questions that have been reviewed by Louisiana educators to ensure their alignment to the Louisiana Student Standards and appropriateness for Louisiana students;
- measurement of the full range of student performance, including the performance of high- and low-performing students; and
- information for educators and parents about student readiness in science and whether students are “on track” for college and careers.
1. Check out Caddo Science website for more information.
2. Link Caddo Science's Standards and Assessments Folder: http://bit.ly/CaddoLSSS
3. When the state updates the assessment guidance documents, K. Renae Pullen will share it with you.
4. Check out LDOE's Presentation from June's Teacher Leader Conference to learn more.
3. Shreveport-Bossier Mini Maker Faire
Maker Faire is a gathering of fascinating, curious people who enjoy learning and who love sharing what they can do. From engineers to artists to scientists to crafters, Maker Faire is a venue for these "makers" to show hobbies, experiments, projects.
4. Science & Engineering Fair 2019
The Louisiana Region I Science and Engineering Fair will be held at the Bossier Civic Center, 620 Benton Road, Bossier City, LA on March 7-9, 2019. The BPCC will need all paperwork by February 13, 2019.
Please see the official memo from the Region I Science Fair Director, Dr. Elaine Cox.
5. LATM/LSTA Joint Conference: Full STEAM Ahead
The Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics (LATM) and the Louisiana Science Teachers Association (LSTA) invite you to attend, present a session and/or exhibit during our 2018 Joint Conference in Shreveport, Louisiana, October 22th -24th at the Shreveport Convention Center. We expect approximately 1500 formal and informal math and science educators and administrators from pre-K through college levels to attend.
The the annual conference provides professional development and networking opportunities for all math and science educators throughout the state of Louisiana.Participants register online at http://lsta.info/event-2779147/Registration. When registering, participants will be able to pay by credit card. If you wish to pay by check, please complete the online registration form, print the form, and submit it along with your payment to the address provided on the printed form.
6. FYI: Just So You Know
- The links to the standards in the Caddo Scope and Sequence are broken due to a network error that happened this summer. I'll be updating all of the link in the scope and sequence documents over the next two weeks.
- The LEAP 2025 science assessment will be operational this school year. In Spring 2019, the state will use the better of Spring 2017 or Spring 2019 science scores for elementary and middle schools (3-8), in order to ease the transition to new assessments. (source)
- Link Caddo Science's Standards and Assessments Folder: http://bit.ly/CaddoLSSS
Check Out the Caddo Science Newsletter Archives!
Check out the archive of the Caddo Science Newsletters.
Important K-6 Science Dates
September 22: Shreveport-Bossier Mini Maker Faire
September 22: Early Bird Registration for the LATM/LSTA Joint Conference Ends
September 28: QSM Deadline
October 22-24: 2018 LATM/LSTA Joint Conference