How a Bill becomes a Law
by Bailey Davis
Idea to Bill
EVery bill is given a title and a number when it is submitted.
· 1.Pass the Bill
· 2. Mark up the bill with changes and suggest that it be passed
· 3. Replace the original bill with a new bill
· 4. Ignore the bill and let it die (which is called “pigeonholing” the bill)
· 5. Kill the bill outright by majority vote.
Rule of Debate
· In the house, the rules committee sets up terms for debate
· In the senate, senators can speak as long as they wish
· Filibuster- a tactic defeating a bill in the senate by talking until the bill’s sponsor withdraws it.
Action by President
· After a bill is approved it goes to the President
1. President sign the bill and declare it a new law
2. The President may veto, ro refuse to sign the bill
3. The president may also do nothing for 10 days
4. If congress is in session, the bill becomes a law without the President’s signature.