A Step by Step Guide to Filling Out the FAFSA
Who should fill out the FAFSA?
When Should You Begin the FAFSA Application Process?
Step 1: Locate Your Most Recent Tax Return
Step 3: Collect Needed Documents
- Social security number.
- Alien registration number (if you are not a U.S. citizen).
- Most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Or utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax information. Click on https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out#when-irs-drt to determine if you are eligible to use this tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable).
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable).
- FSA ID to sign electronically.
- Dependent students will also need the above information for their parents.
Step 4: Create an FSA ID
- Create a user ID and password by clicking on https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. You will need to provide an email address for this.
- Enter your personal information: name, date of birth, social security number, contact information, and security questions.
- Review your information and accept terms and conditions.
- Confirm your email address using a secure code, which will be sent to your email.
- You may now log in using your email address instead of your username.
Step 5: Begin your application
If you have additional questions about the application process you can contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center:
Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC)
800-4-FED-AID (433-3243) / TTY 800-730-8913
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to midnight Eastern Time
Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time