September 18, 2020
- Phase 4 and 5 Update (NEW)
- Parent Night 1st-5th
- MAP Testing (NEW)
- Yearbook Update (NEW)
- Switching Between In-Person and Remote Learning
- Teacher Absence
- Paraprofessional Openings at D24
- EPIC News (NEW)
- Virtual Backpack (Updated)
Phase 4 Begins Sept. 21, Phase 5 Begins Sept. 28
Please review Drop off and Pick-Up procedures. You can find this information in the Parent Letter below.
Also attached is the FAQ that Dr. Lind sent out a few weeks back.
Parent Night 1st-5th
Sessions will be recorded and shared out if you can not attend.
Here is our plan to administer MAP testing for grades 1st-5th grade.
Week of September 21: 4th and 5th Grade (All Remote)
Week of September 28: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grade (Remote and In-Person)
We know that there will be classrooms doing this assessment from home. This will be new to the student and even new for us. Below we have provided guidance on how to make this an effective experience for your child.
Preparing for MAP Remotely
What is MAP Growth?
Switching Between In-Person and Remote
Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate switching from remote to in-person at this time. Our class sizes have been created to allow 6ft of social distancing when in the clasroom. Homerooms have been set up based on these numbers.
We will reach out to parents later in the fall about the possibility of changing.
In an effort to help students and their families find ways to be active and move throughout the day we are providing a movement calendar we are calling DEAM (Drop Everything and Move). These calendars provide daily exercise activities for students. There are two calendar options; the long list-type calendar is suitable for students in K-5, the other more traditional calendar format is suitable for students in grade 3-5. You may print this calendar, write it on a separate piece of paper or pick one up in the front vestibule at school with other school materials. At the end of each month students can turn in their completed calendar for a chance to win a raffle prize. The prizes will be announced in the PE lessons students will do during their Specials time each week.
Have fun and stay healthy!!!
Mrs. Michel and Ms. Hoetzer
Choose one of the calendars below to use to track yoru exercises.
Paraprofessional Postions Openings
SPECIAL EDUCATION PARAPROFESSIONAL
Primary Function: To provide support to one or more students with disabilities, enabling them to receive greater benefit from the district’s instructional program.
Organizational Relationships: The Special Education Paraprofessional receives guidance from the classroom teacher and reports to the Administration.
- Under the supervision of the teacher, work with student or students to reinforce concepts initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assist student(s) in organizing tasks, schedules, materials or assignments.
- Establish a positive and supportive relationship with the student(s), which encourages independent functioning rather than dependency.
- Assist the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing the skills of individual students based on their needs, interests, or abilities.
- Help students operate and care for equipment or instructional materials assigned by the teacher.
- Distribute and collect workbooks, papers, and other materials for instruction,
- Guide independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up and assigned by the teacher.
- Assist with the supervision of student(s), including during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, lunchtime, trips to the office, nurse, Media Center or field trips.
- Check notebooks, correct papers, and supervise testing and make-up work, as assigned by the teacher.
- Help student(s) with their clothing, dressing skills as needed.
- Assist with lunch, snack, and clean-up routines
- Assist with wash-up and toilet routines.
- Help student transition from one room to another.
- Alert the teacher to any problem or special information about the assigned student(s).
- Maintain the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of fully licensed teachers.
- Participate in inservice training programs, as assigned.
- Support established classroom and behavior management procedures.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by supervisor.
Terms of Employment: Must have or obtain a paraprofessional license as issued by the State of Illinois.
180 work days salary and work year established by the Board of Education.
Spirit Wear Masks: Millburn masks available (mustang/elementary and cougar/middle school). Online orders will be taken each month and submitted at the end of the month. You will be notified by email when your orders arrive at the school and can be given to your child's teacher or pick up.
Next order due: September 30th. https://millburn2020.itemorder.com/sale
Board Elections: There are five EPIC board positions up for election this year: Vice President, Secretary, Community Fundraising Director, Elementary Activities Director and Middle School Activities Director.
All positions are two-year terms. Full descriptions can be found on the EPIC website at www.millburnEPIC.com or in the Virtual Backpack.
Nominations will be accepted through October 7th. Nominations will be posted for community review beginning the weekend of October 9th. The election will be held online from October 21-23. Elected individuals will be announced on October 30th.
Amazon Smile: Do you use Amazon? Consider making your orders through Amazon Smile –Millburn EPIC will get a percentage of every order done in our name. See the virtual backpack for the easy instructions.
Box Tops: Don’t forget about your Box Tops! If you would like to submit any Box Tops that you have, please email us at: email@example.com. We will be happy to pick them up from your porch or mailbox. Any Box Tops submitted over the summer will be saved for the 2020-2021 school year and your child will get credit for their new classroom. Don’t forget to scan your grocery receipt to earn digital Box Tops for Millburn!
Jimano’s $$: Are you ordering dinner from Jimano’s? Look on your pizza box for the ‘Piece of Education’ logo and save that tab - Jimano’s will donate back to Millburn for each one of those saved! Turn these into the school with your Box Tops. Have a lot and want to give them now? Contact us at
Coca-Cola Give: Coca-Cola Give is a new destination for donating to your school. Each bottle of Coca-Cola products has a code on the inside of the bottle cap. (Not just soda – Dasani water, Powerade, Honest, etc).
2 Ways to give us the codes:
Enter the codes online
https://us.coca-cola.com/give/ Click Donate to your Local School. Enter Millburn Middle School or Millburn Elementary School (please make sure it is for the Illinois school NOT the New Jersey one). Join or sign in when you have an account.
Send us the caps: contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will sent up a pick up time and we will do the work for you.
Board Elections: We are going holding elections in the fall. Open positions will be: Vice President, Secretary, Community Fundraising Director, MMS Activity Director and MES Activity Director. If you are interested in a position and would like to reach out to us please contact us at president@millburnEPIC.com.
For more information visit our website at www.millburnEPIC.com
Questions or concerns contact us at email@example.com
- EPIC Board Position Descriptions
Millburn Elementary Homepage
Need to find some info on MES? Check out our website!
Follow us on Twitter @MillburnMustang
Millburn District 24
Welcome to Millburn District 24