The SPIRIT of SKS
Saint Kateri School's Newsletter ~ May 19, 2021
Good morning Saint Kateri School families!
We are fast approaching our 2021 Walk-A-Thon and the excitement is growing ~ we will be off and running (#walking) on Saturday come rain or shine! Congratulations to Wyatt in 5th grade for designing the front of the t-shirt ~ it was very hard to choose from all the artwork! There is a Walk-A-Thon update in this newsletter ~ We would love some more volunteers for Saturday ~ if you can possibly give up a half hour of your time we would greatly appreciate it ~ use the link below to sign-up.
Masks or No Masks: To clarify the changes in the masking and social distancing guidelines that go into effect today in regards to the school. Our guidelines have not changed ~ The recent changes DO NOT pertain to the schools and we will be continuing to follow 100% masking, inside and outside, and continuing to socially distance. Any event that is held by the school, regardless of where it is held (i.e., in the church, on the school playground, in the Gym, etc.) is required to follow the particular school guidelines ~ even if the guidelines for that particular venue are different.
Refer a friend or family member to SKS and you both will win!
Family Ambassador Program: The Diocese of Rochester is also continuing to provide up to $500 in tuition credit for families referring new families! Please follow the link below for more details https://www.dorschools.org/ambassador
God bless ~
Mrs. Terri L. Morgan, Principal
Phone: (585) 467-8730
Link To May Day Prayer Service on Thursday, May 20th at 9:00am
Upcoming Calendar Dates:
- 5/20: May Day Prayer Service at 9:00
- 5/22: Walk-A-Thon 10:30-3:00
- 5/25: Quiet Mass 3rd-5th 9:00am
- 5/31: NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 6/1: School Mass (K and 3rd) 9:00am
- 6/2: Spirit Shirt Day (You can wear your Walk-A-Thon shirt too!)
- 6/2: Parent's Association 6:00-7:30pm
- 6/8: Quiet Mass (K-2)
- 6/8: NYS Science Written exam (4th grade only)
- 6/11: Last day for Hot Lunch
- 6/12: SKS Seabreeze Day
- 6/14: Flag Day Prayer Service (9:00)
- 6/14: Preschool Field Day
- 6/15: Quiet Mass (3-5)
- 6/16: Last day for Milk Program
- 6/17: Last day for Preschool 3's
- 6/18: Last day for Preschool 4's
- 6/22: NO Quiet Mass
- 6/22: K-5 Field Day
- 6/23: Last day of school 11:30am dismissal
Reminders from the Main Office
- Save the Date for SKS Seabreeze Day ~ Saturday, June 12th
- Last day for Hot Lunch service is June 11th ~ students will need to bring their lunch from home for the remainder of the school year.
- Last day for the Milk Program is June 16th
- Don't forget to bring Water Bottles, Sunscreen, Hats, Blankets and Camp Chairs (for enjoying the treats from the Food Trucks!) for the Walk-A-Thon
Volunteer at the Walk-A-Thon!
We're using SignUp.com to organize our volunteers for the Walk-A-Thon ~
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our SignUp on
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.
Making a Walk-A-Thon Pledge and Friday Pledge Prizes
- Please choose the Flat Fee option. We do not pledge in a "per lap" way but the platform that we are using does not allow us to remove that option. So it will seem a little confusing ~ just look for the option to donate a straight amount.
- You can send in any pledges in cash or check form anytime.
- We are having a weekly participation drawing on Friday, May 14 and Friday, May 21. Any student that has turned in a pledge (or a combination of pledges) that total $20, either online or in paper form, by WEDNESDAY of that week will be entered into a drawing to choose a prize from the prize wall. If a preschool is chosen on a day they do not attend, they will make their pick the next day they come to school.
WALK-A-THON 2021 - May 22
As of today we have reached over 60% of our goal to purchase TWO Smart Boards and we can already purchase ONE! We are almost there ~ Thank you and keep sharing the event with family and friends and on your Social Media platforms. The link is below ~
Walk-A-Thon Family Walking Event:
There will be a Food Truck Rodeo available from 11:30am - 3:00pm!
We would like everyone to come out and support our school! The day will begin at 10:30am with Family Check-In with an 11:00am Kick-Off Rally. We understand that it is a busy time of year ~ come when you can and participate in a fun walking event with your family, while also supporting our school. Due to COVID we will be walking in family groups ~ we will also be following any current COVID-19 guidelines for this event.
The schedule of the day:
- 10:30-11:00: Arrival and Check-in
- 10:30-3:00: Silent Auction Baskets and Experience Items will be displayed and available for bidding online
- 11:00: Kick-Off Rally
- 11:10: Gaga Pit schedule begins
- 11:00-1:00: Family Walk Together
- 11:30-3:00: Food Trucks available
- 1:00-3:00: Pentecost weekend activities!
- 4:00: Mass at Christ the King
Food Trucks: There will be a variety of Food Trucks available to purchase foods and sweets to enjoy during the day Macarollin, Kona Ice, Marty's Meats on Park, and Verno on the Roll (Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Chicken and Sausage)
Family Scavenger Hunt: Lead by Saint Kateri Parish Youth Ministry and can be done throughout the Walk-A-Thon.
Gaga Ball: Due to COVID, we will be scheduling times for Kindergarten- 5th grade classroom groups to play together. See schedule above ~
The Silent Auction includes Classroom Themed Baskets and a Silent Auction for Teacher Experiences and other items: You will find the link to the online bidding below!
This is where FUN meets FUNDraising!
Where do I park for the Walk-A-Thon?
- This year we will have the Knights of Columbus helping to direct and monitor traffic.
- Irondequoit Police Department has our event on its radar and they anticipate having an officer here for the morning piece, barring any unknown events that may come up.
- The Town will also be dropping off barricades to use that day as well.
- Parking on the shoulder of Kings Highway South is an option but parking in the residential areas on the sides of the school are not.
- We have also been given permission to use Bishop Kearney's back parking lot for those wishing to take the short walk from there. Our PK-5th grade students did it every Spring for the Musical preview before COVID!
- There will be the grassy areas by the exit to Kings Highway South will be left for parking.
Silent Auction Baskets
News from Faith Formation:
VBS Peace Lab: Where children discover God's way of peace!
Through learning how to resolve conflicts and figuring out ways to help others, children will learn how to be peacemakers in this VBS. The stories will lead children on an awesome adventure through the Bible, equipping them to follow Jesus as compassionate peacemakers. Engaging games, creative crafts, worship and prayer - all in a COVID -safe environment!
July 19-23, 2021
9:00 am to Noon
Pre-K 4 to Grade 6
Christ the King Campus
Sacrament Preparation ~ First Communion & Confirmation
Registration for First Reconciliation & First Communion, as well as Confirmation, for the 2021-2022 year is open. Our Diocesan policy is that sacramental preparation and celebration takes place at your home parish, and not with the school. Children in grade 2 and up can prepare to celebrate First Reconciliation and First Communion, and youth in grade 8 and up can begin the two year process to prepare for Confirmation. There are other aspects of the program that all youth complete through the parish for sacramental preparation, including but not limited to Mass attendance and parent sessions.
Please contact Jodi Schott for more information at 338-1146 or Jodi.Schott@dor.org.
Knights of Columbus Chicken BBQ
2021-2022 Registration is well underway!
YOU ARE OUR BEST ADVERTISEMENT!
- Reach out to family and friends who are looking for a school for their children next year
- Post on your social media accounts
- Share our school posts
- Comment on local Irondequoit groups your recommendations about attending SKS
- Recommend Saint Kateri School as part of a Google review