NPESC Health & Wellness
Fuel + Fitness Friday
Weekly Healthy Recipe
One Pan Italian Sausage and Veggies
- 2 large carrots (~2 cups)
- 2 red potatoes (~2 cups)
- 1 small-medium zucchini (~2 and 1/3 cups)
- 2 red peppers (~2 cups)
- 1 head broccoli (~1 and 1/2 cups)
- 16 ounces Italian Turkey or Chicken Sausage
- 1/2 tablespoon EACH: dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: onion powder, dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated, optional)
- 4 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional: fresh parsley, salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or foil (easy clean-up) and set aside.
- Prep the veggies: *It is important to prep the veggies according to directions to ensure they all cook at the same time*
- Peel and very thinly slice the carrots. Wash and (if desired peel, we love the peel on) chop the red potatoes. You want the pieces quite small here. (I halve the potatoes and then cut each half into 10-12 pieces)
- Halve the zucchini and then cut *thick* coins of zucchini. Coarsely chop the broccoli. Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and chop into medium-sized pieces. Chop the sausage into thick coins.
- Pour all the veggies and sausage on the sheet pan.
- In a small bowl combine all of the seasonings and salt and pepper if desired (I use about 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt) with the olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Pour the seasoning & oil mixture on top of the veggies and sausage and thoroughly toss to coat.
- Place in the heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and toss around the veggies sausage and return to the oven for another 10-20 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender.
- Remove and top, if desired, with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Serve on top of rice or quinoa if desired. (Also great plain!)
Your Weekly Work-Out this Week is to spell your name and workout! If you have a short name repeat 1X!
BONUS POINTS: Spell your FIRST and LAST name and work out!
Your weekly challenge this week is to complete a one week hydration challenge!
Benefits of drinking water:
- Flushes toxins out of vital organs
- Helps carry nutrients to your cells
- Helps your digestive system run more efficiently
- Improves skin elasticity and appearance (think: less wrinkles!)
- Improves energy
- Reduces hunger
- Regulates body temperature
- Lubricates and cushions joints
- Helps the brain manufacture hormones and neurotransmitters
- Protects your spinal cord and other sensitive tissues
So just how much should you drink each day? On average, you should be drinking AT LEAST 8-10 glasses of water a day. If you exercise regularly, add another glass or two to that. If you think you are drinking enough, try this trick to make sure you are drinking as much as you think you are. If you already know you are falling woefully short, then JOIN US in this one week hydration challenge!