Children First Aid
Check for Responsiveness
Tap the shoulder and shout, "Are you OK?"
For an infant, you may flick the bottom of the foot
If no response, CALL 911
If alone, give about 2 mins of care, then CALL 911
Open the Airway
Tilt head back slightly, lift chin
Check for Breathing
Check quickly for no more than 10 secs
Infants have periodic breathing, so changes in breathing pattern are normal for infants.
Give 2 Rescue Breaths
If no breathing, give 2 rescue breaths.
- Tilt the head back and lift the chin up
- Child: pinch the nose shut, then make a complete seal over child's mouth
- Infant: make complete seal over infant's mouth and nose
- Blow in for about 1 sec to make the chest clearly rise
- Give rescue breaths, one after the other